Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Another UGA grad here. I live in the southern suburbs of Atlanta (Peachtree City) and like the accessibility of the big city without the traffic of the northern suburbs. The Atlanta airport is only 30 minutes away so we can easily go anywhere in the world. Last week I did a 20 mile backpack trip in the mountains of the Cheaha wilderness of western Alabama (2 hours away) and currently finishing up a long weekend in Hilton Head, SC (4 hours away). Have thought of moving to other places but probably won't.
gtweath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 06:22 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtweath View Post
Another UGA grad here. I live in the southern suburbs of Atlanta (Peachtree City) and like the accessibility of the big city without the traffic of the northern suburbs. The Atlanta airport is only 30 minutes away so we can easily go anywhere in the world. Last week I did a 20 mile backpack trip in the mountains of the Cheaha wilderness of western Alabama (2 hours away) and currently finishing up a long weekend in Hilton Head, SC (4 hours away). Have thought of moving to other places but probably won't.
Yeah we definitely like the easy access (a bit over an hour) to the Atlanta airport when we need to fly somewhere.
John0019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the class of 2019! There are at least 56 others in the same class as you and DW.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome. Sounds like your retirement is just what you want it to be. I was born in Atlanta and then was an army brat until 12 years old. Family moved back to Atlanta. Married and had 2 kids there.

Husband got transferred to Seattle area in 1997. Needless to say we miss our family and friends in the South (we visit often) but when we moved to the Pacific Northwest, well...we are here to stay. DH retired in 2015. Sold the house and rented our daughters house, now we are buying our dream home on the western most part of the state on a lake. It is expensive in the Seattle area, but where we are moving is way less expensive.

Just couldn't get back to the heat and humidity. Wouldn't mind having a place in the fall in Ga, but not enough retirement money for that though.

Can't wait to hear more stories about your retirement.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Welcome to the class of 2019! There are at least 56 others in the same class as you and DW.
Thanks...glad to be a part of the 2019 class!
Old 02-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey John we hit the retirement deal in June and July 2019 ourselves. We are in the "Chattlanta" suburb ourselves. In our retirement prep stage we bought our camper,and upgraded my truck to one to pull it. Since then we have been splitting our time between riding my motorcycle and camping. We just recently returned home from a Fla. trip to the strange week of 75 degree weather for a coupla days then flash floods and finnally 4inches of snow saturday from 6am till 11 am. Our DD DSnL,& DGD came over to our house for some sledding,a snoball fight and snocream. Then by 7 pm it had almost all melted away. Anyway nice to meet ya and Go Dawgs! This just might be the year,I still miss #34 and Vince tremendously!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
Welcome. Sounds like your retirement is just what you want it to be. I was born in Atlanta and then was an army brat until 12 years old. Family moved back to Atlanta. Married and had 2 kids there.

Husband got transferred to Seattle area in 1997. Needless to say we miss our family and friends in the South (we visit often) but when we moved to the Pacific Northwest, well...we are here to stay. DH retired in 2015. Sold the house and rented our daughters house, now we are buying our dream home on the western most part of the state on a lake. It is expensive in the Seattle area, but where we are moving is way less expensive.

Just couldn't get back to the heat and humidity. Wouldn't mind having a place in the fall in Ga, but not enough retirement money for that though.

Can't wait to hear more stories about your retirement.
Thanks Kim! Sounds like "y'all" (in my best southern drawl) have found a great place to settle in for the best time of your lives. I love the Pacific NW.

You are right the heat and humidity here can be stifling...never said everything was perfect. When we have nothing else to do the pool in the backyard helps with this dilemma. Reminds me too, that my neighbor loves to express his disgust with me and DW as we are lounging around pool when he comes home for lunch around 12:30 from w*rk on lets say a Tuesday or Wednesday..
Old 02-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Go Mercer Bears!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:48 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
Hey John we hit the retirement deal in June and July 2019 ourselves. We are in the "Chattlanta" suburb ourselves. In our retirement prep stage we bought our camper,and upgraded my truck to one to pull it. Since then we have been splitting our time between riding my motorcycle and camping. We just recently returned home from a Fla. trip to the strange week of 75 degree weather for a coupla days then flash floods and finnally 4inches of snow saturday from 6am till 11 am. Our DD DSnL,& DGD came over to our house for some sledding,a snoball fight and snocream. Then by 7 pm it had almost all melted away. Anyway nice to meet ya and Go Dawgs! This just might be the year,I still miss #34 and Vince tremendously!
Thanks and have obvious soft spot for fellow Dawg fans! Sounds like you've been enjoying the retirement scene yourself. Yeah always this might be the year for us.. but hey maybe so. I saw #34 many times in those days....
Old 02-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakGrl View Post
Go Mercer Bears!
All right another class of 2019er! Thanks and hello. Is there some class of 2019 thread/post that I should follow that you know of?
Old 02-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #31

You can add yourself here.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #32

Hmm- lots of folks in the Atlanta area. Y'all ought to do a meet up. And be sure to invite me- I'm a few hours south but drive to ATL for cheap flights frequently...[emoji16]
Old 02-23-2020, 07:17 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, John! Hope you’ll continue to share how life in retirement is. We will be joining you this year and we are really excited. We have no pension, but will have SS in 4-6 years, so living exclusively on our investments and maybe some contract work (I call it dabbling in work). Best of luck as you go forward.
Nomad4hire is offline   Reply With Quote