Hi!

torquil

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone. I wish i had of found this forum earlier, seems to be some good info on here.

I'm 30 now but retired last year at 29. I know it might sound like i'm rich but i am not. I was lucky that i landed a good job in the IT industry straight out of school in 1992 so thankfully i didn't have to go to university. I bought my 1st property (a unit) at 19 with the goal of paying it off in 10 years. A bought a second unit when i was 23 but sold that 2 years ago and used to money from that to pay off the 1st one.

At the moment I just rent out my unit. I'll probably sell it in about 10 years or so when the time is right and invest in low risk funds. I only get $330 a week from the rental unit but it is enough. I'm living with a couple of friends and pay $100 rent a week, I put another $100 a week away for the unit expenses and my car expenses (rego/insurance), then I have $100 left for food and fuel for the car.

If you only want to live frugally like me then it can be done. I don't plan on getting married or having kids as I value my freedom too much. I've just been playing lots of golf and surfing and i've purchased a camper van so I can take off round the country at a moments notice. I'm so glad to be finally out of the toxic office environment.

Anyway, thats my story,

cheers, i look forward to reading your suggestions.

So what are you doing for health insurance? or are you just skipping?

Hi,

I'm just skipping. I'm from Australia (I should have mentioned that) so the healthcare system is a little different here although the goverment is trying to make it more like the US system by the day. Healthcare is still free at the moment (to a point), however it's definately something i'll have to think about when i get old for sure.

Perhaps a Christmas present to myself.

After eleven years of no insurance - I'm shopping for a high deductible here in MO.

Passage of time(49-62), post Katrina(LA to MO relocation) and sudden death of the SO - perhaps I'm no longer bullet proof - actually thinking - health problems(hopefully not) and a nest egg are better than health problems and no nest egg. I.e. - portfolio protection - now that I'm getting 'really old' - 60's - although I don't feel it - yet.

heh heh heh

I live in Canada, I don't worry about Health Insurance, nice feeling in my 60's and after one Brother had Emergency Angioplasty, the other double bypass, all paid for.

If it was meant to happen, they would not call it an Emergency.

No health Coverage is like Sky Diving without a Parachute.

Australia has Government Health coverage.

I can't really comment as i don't know the US healthcare system fully.  I do notice though that as the Australian government is trying to introduce a fully "user pays" system like the US, they are mounting a scare campaign to get people to sign up for healthcare.  I've done the sums and it is not worth my while.  I would still be better off just paying for it.  

It's a big issue though isn't it?  I just wish that people didn't haven't to worry about what I see as a basic human right.  Isn't that what we pay taxes for:confused:  Anyway, if it's any consolation, the older I get the younger I feel too!!!

torquil said:
Hi everyone.  I wish i had of found this forum earlier, seems to be some good info on here.

I'm 30 now but retired last year at 29. 

:D :D :D :D :D

wstu32 said:
jarhead meaning...military?  if so, thank you!

Arrh, cultural slang difference :) Don't worry, i'm sure you'll get some from me :)

wstu32 said:
jarhead meaning...military?  if so, thank you!

Hi and Welcome.

To answer your "jarhead" question, here is a definition:

Jarhead
A pejorative term for a Marine. One account suggests that it refers to the Marine high and tight haircut which is cut almost to the skin at the ears with a bit more as it goes up the head giving the appearance of a jar. Another legend says that during World War II the Mason Jar Company stopped making jars and made the helmets for Marines.

SteveR said:
Hi and Welcome.

To answer your "jarhead" question, here is a definition:

Jarhead
A pejorative term for a Marine. One account suggests that it refers to the Marine high and tight haircut which is cut almost to the skin at the ears with a bit more as it goes up the head giving the appearance of a jar. Another legend says that during World War II the Mason Jar Company stopped making jars and made the helmets for Marines.
There are probably many more accurate (or at least detailed) definitions that aren't suitable for repeating in a family publication...

unclemick2 said:
Perhaps a Christmas present to myself.

After eleven years of no insurance - I'm shopping for a high deductible here in MO.

Passage of time(49-62), post Katrina(LA to MO relocation) and sudden death of the SO - perhaps I'm no longer bullet proof - actually thinking - health problems(hopefully not) and a nest egg are better than health problems and no nest egg. I.e. - portfolio protection - now that I'm getting 'really old' - 60's - although I don't feel it - yet.

heh heh heh

Holy crap! UM getting health coverage?!?!?! Suddenly I don't feel so good. :p

Whats next... Nords moving to Alaska?

Back
Top Bottom