Join Early Retirement Today

HI - 51 and retired on Wednesday
Old 01-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

HI - 51 and retired on Wednesday

I just retired on 1/2/08 after 26 years at my company. I just turned 51 in Sept. I have been planning this for a few years, just made the decision in early Dec. I am excited, but a little nervous. Not so much about the finances, but more - now what? I don't 'relax' well for very long, and I don't really have any hobbies. I am also single and would like to meet other singles that have ER'd.
lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lace,
Welcome to the board! I just celebrated -- and I do mean celebrated -- one year of retirement on 12/31! I too was a bit nervous about the "now what?" piece, but after 12 months, I assure you that you will find more than enough to keep you occupied if you are open to new opportunities.

For instance, I've started volunteering with my local Humane Society; helped my daughter write and illustrate a children's book; did lots of "deferred maintenance" projects around the house and garden; and learned to relax and enjoy living.

I know that others will be along soon to offer their welcoming words. Stick around, this is a very interesting bunch of folks!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the encouragement. I keep hearing the same as what you are telling me..so I have faith that I will find fulfilling things to do. I have a lot of 'maybe' ideas, but nothing really grabs at me yet. I think I need a couple of weeks to just chill out first and then I will start researching....
lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Lace, welcome. I just passed the 2 1/2 year mark and can relate to your "what now?" questions. Prior to retirement I had no serious hobby (short attention span) or a burning desire to retire and spend my days doing "X". Since retiring I've found great enjoyment in dabbling in a little of this and a little of that - perfect for my short attention span! I love the freedom to do whatever I want...even if that is nothing more than sitting on the deck with a cup of coffee.

I think your "chill and give it some time" approach is definitely the way to go. Enjoy the journey.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations. I am seven years retired now. When I first retired it took me quite awhile to adjust---probably about 2 hours!

The days just fly by. But if you ask me what I did all day long, I am hardpressed to give you much of a list.

I did shed 25 pounds within about three months of retiring. I started a three day a week exercise session at a local 24Hour Fitness. I have pretty much kept the weight off all this time. (I did add some when we went on our first cruise, to Alaska, but I got rid of that again).

I don't know if I could work again. Several of my former co-workers retired, but then went the "contracting" route working again for the old employer. I think they do it out of financial necessity. I don't have to. I've always been of the opinion they were somewhat crazy to go back to the BS, even as a contractor, or maybe especially that way.

Welcome again.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm 51 and single also...I have been in and out of ER a couple of times. I do computer contract work and each time I think I'm done working someone calls and asks me to come back to work again. It's hard to turn down the money so I go back. Each time I ER, I go through a few weeks of adjusting to life without work...I have that "what now" feeling. That feeling quickly goes away for me if I have something I do on a regular basis...sort of like work, but fun. For me it's working out every day. I alternate days of running with days of weight lifting at my health club. The rest of the time I do all of the other stuff that I never seem to find time for when I'm working...reading, watching movies, gardening, housework, fixing and improving things around the house, riding bike, playing piano, watching "bad television" and not feeling guilty (ha!), etc. And don't be afraid to feel bored occasionally...that can lead to new hobbies if you keep your eyes open for new interests. I'd much rather be a little bored than stressed out from work. The nice thing is that you don't have to feel like you have to cram everything into the usual 2 day weekend. So what if you don't get something done today...you always have tomorrow. It's a great feeling being able to take your time on things also. When I go to my health club I never feel rushed when I'm ER'd.

Congratulations on your ER...I think you'll enjoy it!
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll find lots to do if you are open to it as someone else said. My DH finished last week and doesn't miss it at all. We do have young kids, so it's alot different for us though. I hope you really enjoy your freedom.
enfp is offline   Reply With Quote