Hi, after two tries at retirement I'm back to work

Poke-N-FL

Confused about dryer sheets
I tried retirement at 62, lasted 7 months, then again at 66, lasted 7 weeks. I have have concluded that I love the work I do with the senior living industry. I am a consultant to senior living sponsors of not for profit retirement communities. I contract my services to a firm based in the Carolinas. My wife and I have merged families - 6 children, 8 grandkids - and live in Florida.

As a self employed contractor I am interested in stashing away as much $$ as possible in the next three years (yes, 70 is it for sure!). I am most interested in exploring the how-to's of setting up a 401(k) for myself to shelter income during that time. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Graduated Oklahoma Military Academy (66) and Oklahoma State University (69) and am a huge Poke Fan - hence the user name. Also former Marine (63-65). Good to be onboard!

There is nothing wrong with doing what you want to do even if you get paid for it. The question is: Are you financially independent? Would you do what you are doing if you didn't get paid? It sounds like you would.

Stashing away as many $$ as possible . . . well . . . that may be a different issue.

I take it you are self-employed. If that's the case then you can shelter up to $22k per year from the (employee) side. The employer (you) can then shelter an additional 25% of your income (up to $49k total deferral).

If you have a high income you could theoretically shelter up to $71k per year in a self-employed 401k plan.

there are a number of mutual funds and different websites that can help with setting this up.

here is a link to Fidelity's website on this topic:

https://www.fidelity.com/retirement/small-business/self-employed-401k

Hi,

If you have a lot of income, you could look into a personal defined benefit plan. I am not an expert, but the max is 195k. There are some actuarial calculations that have to be done so there is a significant fee charged by the companies who offer this. I remember Schwab was $750 per year. So only worth it if you have a lot to put away. But it's an interesting option for the right person.

I don't think there is any stigma with failing at retirement. I would just question why you think it will be different at 70?

I take it you are self-employed. If that's the case then you can shelter up to $22k per year from the (employee) side. The employer (you) can then shelter an additional 25% of your income (up to $49k total deferral).

If you have a high income you could theoretically shelter up to $71k per year in a self-employed 401k plan.

there are a number of mutual funds and different websites that can help with setting this up.

here is a link to Fidelity's website on this topic:

https://www.fidelity.com/retirement/small-business/self-employed-401k

Do you know if one can be considered self employed if their source of income is rental income that's reported on Schedule E not Schedule C. Therefore, no self employment tax is paid. How about if your spouse is employed full-time?

There is nothing wrong with doing what you want to do even if you get paid for it. The question is: Are you financially independent? Would you do what you are doing if you didn't get paid? It sounds like you would.

Stashing away as many $$ as possible . . . well . . . that may be a different issue.

Ya, if you're FI and doing it because you love it, then what's the problem?

Do you know if one can be considered self employed if their source of income is rental income that's reported on Schedule E not Schedule C. Therefore, no self employment tax is paid. How about if your spouse is employed full-time?

No.

Back
Top Bottom