Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hi... and daydreaming at work
Old 01-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi... and daydreaming at work

Hi,

Just want to step out of lurking and write my first post. I've been visiting this site almost everyday for the past few months ever since I found it from googling. I've learned a lot and am glad to know that I'm not the only one who values LBYM and FIRE.

Here're some info about me:

me and wife: mid 30's, kids: 7 and 4
live in SoCal, 130k left on mortgage, no other debt.

Maxing out 401k at my work, wife is a stay-home-mom(for another two years at least.) 401k currently is about $35k.

Started my IRA 3 years ago, hers 1 yr ago. Both with Fidelity freedom fund. Before that we were saving money for the downpayment. Luckily, we bit the bullet and bought before the market went crazy.
Whatever is left each month(anywhere from $600 to $1k), I save it up and put it in my taxable acct(right now it's with vanguard target 2035) every few months. Current value is only around $19, no, 18, no, 17k. See how the market drops recently, I feel hairy about putting more $ in. Should I wait until the worst is over(like I know when that'll be, ) or should I just close my eyes and keep DCAing?

would like to ER by early 50's.

thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions to come.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

ER Hopeful,

Welcome. Assuming you have 10-20 year time horizon - stick to the plan. We look forward to your participation.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
ER Hopeful,

Welcome. Assuming you have 10-20 year time horizon - stick to the plan. We look forward to your participation.
Thanks for the welcome. My plan(or my hope) is to get out by 55 (or sooner), so that's gives me about 15 to 20 years of investment time frame. So should I just do what the "coffee house investor" suggests, ignore wall street and just keep DCAing?

thanks,
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
.............. So should I just do what the "coffee house investor" suggests, ignore wall street and just keep DCAing?.........

Yes, and welcome. You are on the right path. A lot can happen in 20 years, but having an ample portfolio can make it a lot less scary.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:34 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah put more in, now is the time that dollar cost averaging saves your butt. You will most likely not "time" the bottom of the market and therefore I keep chunking it in as I did at the Tech bubble and saw many losses turn around to nice gains within a couple years.
militaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah keep DCAing. Took the opportunity today myself, kept some cash on the side for more prime opportunities.
R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote