Join Early Retirement Today

Hi everyone!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi everyone!

I have been browsing this forum almost daily for a few weeks. Thought it was time I joined, as it appears there are some very knowledgeable people here. I have done fairly well in saving for our early retirement, but I keep reading and asking myself what else could I do better....
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hi everyone!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi KM,

Welcome to the forum ! It sounds like you will contribute valuable insight as well.

I've tried to picture retirement planning without the aid of the internet. I'd be in big trouble.

Best of luck to you !

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM
I have been browsing this forum almost daily for a few weeks. Thought it was time I joined, as it appears there are some very knowledgeable people here. I have done fairly well in saving for our early retirement, but I keep reading and asking myself what else could I do better....
KM,

Welcome to the board.
I know some people are very private, and do not like to post specifics, but if you feel comfortable with posting more information about your situation, I'm sure these very knowledgeable people will be able to give some advice.

~M
Old 01-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, KM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM
... but I keep reading and asking myself what else could I do better....
That won't change, no matter when you've ER'd.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmg2681
KM,

Welcome to the board.
I know some people are very private, and do not like to post specifics, but if you feel comfortable with posting more information about your situation, I'm sure these very knowledgeable people will be able to give some advice.

~M
Well, I am hubby and I are 49. Plan to retire at 55. We have 2-4 more years of college to pay for our daughter, but we have plenty put away for that. Son is on his own...sort of

I think we will motor-home travel the US for about a year or so when we retire and then settle wherever my daughter is. We didn't get into saving until I was about 30, as we didn't have much money and had 2 small kids. I learned about mutual funds by reading Money magazine.

We are lucky in that we both will get pensions and both have excellent company matches on 401k plans. Every other penny we have goes into taxable mutual funds, so we will have something to tide us over until we were 59 1/2. I could retire now (as long as hubby kept working), but 1) that would seem rather unfair, 2) my pension would take a hit, 3) I would lose the medical insurance subsidy that I get if I stay to 55, and 4) we would be so much better off financially, if I keep working to 55.

I think my mutual fund investing, although not horrible, could have been better. I was smart enough to diversify, I was smart enough to go no-load, but I have 2 higher expense funds that I probably should not have bought. Many times over the past years, I have wished I had someone I could say "gee, I was thinking of doing this because......does that make sense or am I missing something" so that I could get some input. Our friends/family either do not invest or they come to me with questions...because I'm the "tight" one :P

It will be nice to have people to toss ideas or issues out to. I will try my best to add my two cents in where I can. Thanks for the welcome everyone!

KM is offline   Reply With Quote