Join Early Retirement Today

Hi Everyone, Hope You Are All Doing Well - Help please - Your opinion?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Everyone, Hope You Are All Doing Well - Help please - Your opinion?

I'll be 57 at end of this year and have about $1.3M (Cash or cash equivalent) $260k - 30 yr. USG Bonds in Pension (portable); $250k 401k (most after tax & portable) rest is cash. Calc. SS @ $1850 per month (from SS site) for 28 yrs (start @ 62) = total about $1.9M. No debt, no house (apt.) Bought a new Travel Trailer & adopted an older dog. Assumption: no increase in money; then have about $57k for 33 yrs. (= 90). I am frugal. Can I do it? Afraid to take the plunge...but job is killing me, literally
rjohnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You should be fine unless inflation spikes. Is your high cash/cash equivalent position intentional?

Suggest you check our Quicken Lifetime Planner (a good, basic easy to use retirement planning tool that is part of Quicken Deluxe and higher) and FireCalc but off-the cuff I think you should be ok.

Have you considered just plunking the whole lot into Vanguard Wellesley? It's pretty conservative and IMO a lot better than cash in your circumstances.

What do you mean that 401k is "mostly after-tax"? Usually 401k is pre-tax but perhaps you have an unusual situation.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Believe we are in deflationary environment and USD will be best in depression. Had the option to put money in 401k before or after taxes paid. Put it in after taxes paid (my contribution) would owe on matching and gain. Thanks, for ypu reply & questions.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

What does FireCalc say? I would think it would be near %100.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Jack - yes, you are right it does. But taking that 'leap of faith'. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnla View Post
Believe we are in deflationary environment and USD will be best in depression. Had the option to put money in 401k before or after taxes paid. Put it in after taxes paid (my contribution) would owe on matching and gain. Thanks, for ypu reply & questions.
You may want to check it out but I seem to recall that one can rollover after-tax 401k monies into a Roth IRA.

I had some after-tax 401k money but didn't know about the rollover possibility at the time so I just took the cash.

Fear is natural - many of us have gone through it - change is hard.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are your annual expenses ?
Quote:
I'll be 57 at end of this year and have about $1.3M (Cash or cash equivalent) $260k - 30 yr. USG Bonds in Pension (portable); $250k 401k (most after tax & portable) rest is cash. Calc. SS @ $1850 per month (from SS site) for 28 yrs (start @ 62) = total about $1.9M. No debt, no house (apt.) Bought a new Travel Trailer & adopted an older dog. Assumption: no increase in money; then have about $57k for 33 yrs. (= 90). I am frugal. Can I do it? Afraid to take the plunge...but job is killing me, literally
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Not much and would be less if retired: Just Food, Ins., Utilities for Travel Trailer (set up to go off grid for weeks) gas, entertainment - could probably do it on $30k. Guess I need to move off the intro site and post elsewhere according to sticky...
Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.......Bought a new Travel Trailer & adopted an older dog.........
What kind of dog?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not much and would be less if retired: Just Food, Ins., Utilities for Travel Trailer (set up to go off grid for weeks) gas, entertainment - could probably do it on $30k. Guess I need to move off the intro site and post elsewhere according to sticky...
Sounds great. I see a travel trailer with off grid potential in our future, too.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

1/2 Lab, 1/2 Shar Pei. Great shape for about 8 yrs. & weighs 80 pounds - dog trainer coming next week, but he's really a great dog. People don't want the old ones so much, he's home forever now.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out KZ, great quality - family owned, lot of Amish employees & happy.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the forum. Your numbers look good. They would be lots better if instead of being so heavy in cash and bonds you had a balanced asset allocation. Inflation is pretty low recently but it is still eating away at your cash heavy portfolio. If you live for more than 25 more years or inflation goes higher it could be a problem for you.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #14

Get over your fear and enjoy your older dog and your new travel trailer.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
1/2 Lab, 1/2 Shar Pei. Great shape for about 8 yrs. & weighs 80 pounds - dog trainer coming next week, but he's really a great dog. People don't want the old ones so much, he's home forever now.
OK, sounds like you are good to go, then.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

You have a good amount of assets and you are invested very conservatively. It seems like you are at risk if inflation runs up. I think it would be well worth it for you to get professional advice from a fee based financial planner. You have too much at stake to do it on your own

What do you plan to do about your health care cost? You are 8 year away from Medicare. You may be shocked at what your health care can cost over those 8 years
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #17

Welcome - Charley and you should be good to go. Especially if your job is killing you.
Your ability to take the low road is a big +. No friction from me on the high cash position, the future is yet to be written. good luck
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote