Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hi Folks _ Semi_Retired going to Full Retired
Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Folks _ Semi_Retired going to Full Retired

Hello folks. I am a semi retired Commercial Plans Reviewer for a local Building Department. I review commercial construction plans for Codes and Structural compliance. I retired a couple years ago and was asked to come back to work for the County I had worked for most recently. So I did go back part time (M-T-W only) and am looking to fully retire in late May 2019. I figure to use the money in my retirement accounts until gone and then go on SS, perhaps age 66 or maybe 67. I came here to pick up on tips for things to do that could help me as I move forward. I will be needed to sign up for Medicare soon and not sure how to do that or how it works, so please do point me to any discussions here that would be of help there. I had one parent (mom) live to 91 and the other (dad) went on home at 52. So mixed bag. That is all for now and hope to meet some of you in various discussions as I learn my way around.
StanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
gone traveling

This might help you get started: https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...nd-part-b.html
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No pension from your agency?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Pension
Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Pension

Hi and thanks for the question. Yes I do have a retirement account and am currently drawing a little out each month to cover what the part time wages do not. I am looking at using that up and then go to SS.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Welcome Aboard! Loveland OH or CO?
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanV View Post
Hi and thanks for the question. Yes I do have a retirement account and am currently drawing a little out each month to cover what the part time wages do not. I am looking at using that up and then go to SS.
You worked for an agency that did not have a defined benefit plan, correct? What were you offered as a substitute? How much do you have in that substitute account? If you were a salaried plan checker, how much of your income will you be able to make up from your other income sources?

For most people that held good jobs, Social Security is not an adequate substitute for the paycheck. It sounds like you may not be in the best financial shape if you will have to exhaust your savings in a few years and then rely on Social Security.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the welcome corn18, that would be Colorado. Native of the State.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

You are correct, probably not the best of financial shape. Likely about 3 to 4 years worth in the retirement plan from work. Did not have the opportunity to set anything up in my younger years. I am likely going to continue to work part time at something to help the income regardless of my current investment account use or social security. May need to play the lotto more!
Old 09-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome corn18, that would be Colorado. Native of the State.
Coolio! We are from your sister city outside of Cincinnati.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Hello folks. I am a semi retired Commercial Plans Reviewer for a local Building Department. I review commercial construction plans for Codes and Structural compliance. I retired a couple years ago and was asked to come back to work for the County I had worked for most recently. So I did go back part time (M-T-W only) and am looking to fully retire in late May 2019. I figure to use the money in my retirement accounts until gone and then go on SS, perhaps age 66 or maybe 67. I came here to pick up on tips for things to do that could help me as I move forward. I will be needed to sign up for Medicare soon and not sure how to do that or how it works, so please do point me to any discussions here that would be of help there. I had one parent (mom) live to 91 and the other (dad) went on home at 52. So mixed bag. That is all for now and hope to meet some of you in various discussions as I learn my way around.
You’ll get much better advice if you include more details on your savings, income streams & expenses (as long as you’re comfortable doing so).

In the meantime, read these threads if you’ve not already done so.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ead-33198.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Coolio! We are from your sister city outside of Cincinnati.
Good to know. I hear you folks have a Valentine re-mailing program similar to ours here that has been going on for many years.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
You’ll get much better advice if you include more details on your savings, income streams & expenses (as long as you’re comfortable doing so).

In the meantime, read these threads if you’ve not already done so.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ead-33198.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html
Thanks for the links Huston55. I have not begun to reach that comfort level here. I will check out the discussions though. My physical health is not real good and will likely dictate the retirement date regardless of other issues. It is the path I walk.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #13

Good for you. I plan to do the same in about a year.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote