Hi from 5 Year Lurker

Tom57

Recycles dryer sheets
ER'd 5 years ago and have been lurking here ever since.

Stats: 57, married (DW is 56) , 3 grown kids, 1 grandson so far, retired from 31 years in Software, mostly sales, but started in Accounting.

We do volunteer work at the local Arts venue- Philharmonic, Ballet, Opera, Broadway Shows, etc. and travel extensively, usually about 3 months a year. 2005 was 3 trips to Europe, 2 cruises, 2 Hawaii vacations and a week on the California Coast.

Finances: own home, no debt , financial assets $1.2M (up about 10% since we FIRE'd), dedicated Bob Brinker Fan (yes I lost $170K on his QQQ buy advice in 2000), current asset allocation 67% equities, 33% Money Market all at Vanguard.

My politics just happen to be like John Galt's.

Thanks for all the ideas, opinions, humor, etc for the last 5 years.

Tom57 said:
ER'd 5 years ago and have been lurking here ever since.

Thanks for all the ideas, opinions, humor, etc for the last 5 years.
Welcome to the board, Tom, that must be some kind of lurking record!

Welcome. I'm envious of your travels! One more year for me and I hope to be in the travel game too.  :)

If your politics are anything like JG's, I'm surprised you could remain quiet for so long. :LOL:

I dont think JG has any actual 'politics'. He just picks an utterance that will create the most feedback.

How else could you plausibly explain someone who thinks his dog should be able to crap anywhere it wants, AND that everyone should be armed.

Walk that line of reasoning for a few moments, will you? ;)

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I dont think JG has any actual 'politics'.  He just picks an utterance that will create the most feedback.

How else could you plausibly explain someone who thinks his dog should be able to crap anywhere it wants, AND that everyone should be armed.

Walk that line of reasoning for a few moments, will you? ;)

cfb/th/() always inspires me. :) Anyway, I do have politics,
but sometimes I do just manufacture "feedback". For example,
the dog crap comment and arming everyone in sight was meant to be a little hyperbolic, but just a little. Just making a point folks.

JG

And another thing.............. :)

In addition to John Galt's Rangers (with it's way cool
badge and etc) I am announcing the "Lurk
Skywalker" award. 5 years!!!!!!!
Pretty amazing.

JTG

Hi, Tom. We're in about the boat as you--DH almost 57, I'm 56, also made our stash in software (but on the technical side) , have ~ the same size stash as you, 2 kids, no grands yet, DH working for a few years as a college instructor (just can't seem to stay away form coding...or pontificating!). We also love to travel, but we certainly don't do as much as you do--you must get some great deals! I look forward to hearing about your travels and perspectives as a 5-year early retiree.

I don't exactly share your politics, but any early retiree is OK by me  :D

Hi Astromeria,

Sorry for the delay in responding, DW and I just returned from 10 days in Maui and I don't check this site when on "vacation".

We do get some great travel deals and our main sources are United Vacations and United Escapes. If you live where United Airlines serves, I recommend you check them out. Since we are tall people (DW is 6'1" and I am 6'7") United's Economy Plus seating is great for us since it offers 4 to 5 inches more legroom than standard coach.
For example, we leave March 8 from the West Coast for 6 nights in Paris. The airfare and 6 nights at a 4 star hotel (3 blocks south of Champs-Elysees) with breakfast is $2,176.00 total for both of us which we think is a great deal. Another example, in February 2005 airfare from the west coast to Venice, 7 nights in a 4 star hotel (50 yards from St. Marks Square ) with breakfast was $2,234.00.

TripAdvisor.com is a very helpful free site with lots of reviews not just of hotels but also attractions. In January we went to San Antonio and stayed at a brand new hotel at a special price which we would not have known about except for TripAdvisor.

Our favorite cruise booker is VacationsToGo.com because of good service, no fees, and competitive prices.

DW and I believe in travelling while we are still young enough to do it. We have seen too many older Americans in Europe unable to walk the cobblestone streets and handle all the steps.

The first 5 years of retirement have been great and the first 6 month adjustment period was easier than I expected probably due to the volunteer job and that I met and began dating the lady who became my DW. She retired 6 weeks after we married and we have been traveling together ever since. Since she has now been retired almost 4 years, she can not visualize going back to work either.

Hope this helps and WOW, no politics.

Thanks for the travel tips, Tom. See ya 'round the site (or maybe Paris!)-
=astro

Back
Top Bottom