Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from beautiful Venice, Florida
Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi from beautiful Venice, Florida

Hi everybody,

I'm an ER who moved to the Sarasota/Venice area on Florida's gulf coast a couple of years ago from Phoenix - too hot, too much like LA, and definitely no cool ocean breezes!

Love this part of Florida, the white sandy beaches, numerous walking and bike trails, bird watching, etc. Most of this is free, thankfully, because with the collapse of my 401k and interest rates, there isn't much left for anything else!

Happy to hear from anyone contemplating a similar move.
carolepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome ,
I am a former Venice resident . I love the area . I currently live on the border of Sarasota and Bradenton.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi carolepr, and welcome aboard!

It's nice to hear from someone who is coping, and who knows how to enjoy life in an economical way

I'll be looking forward to your posts.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the fourm.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Carole - from a Tampa neighbor. Too bad you didn't pop up a little sooner. You could have joined Moemg, me and our SO/spouses for dinner on Siesta Key last week. Next time.

Welcome to the board.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Administrator

Welcome Carole. I hope you have found our FAQ subforum http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/ , which will get you started on many of the topics we discuss. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. There are many smart and experienced people on the board who will probably be able to answer them.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Hi ,
I forgot to mention that the Venice Newcomer's Club is great . It also has a Singles group in case you are .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi carolepr - welcome! I am envious. I am retiring May 1st and would love to relocate to your area, and in fact this was my plan until the housing prices started dropping. It's a great time to buy, but not such a great time to sell, and my plan was to sell my house and have enough equity to buy in Florida. Based on last years prices, this was easily do-able, but now I'm not so sure. So I will stay put for the time being. But save me a place on the beach!
janetvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I lived in Port Charlotte about 20 years ago. I used to ride my bike to Venice almost every day....only 34 miles round trip.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi janetvj, Good to hear from you. It occurs to me that if you really want to move to Florida, this could be the best time in years, since house prices have fallen so much. If you can sell (big 'if' I know) you can almost certainly find a very nice home in Sarasota County in almost any price range, and there are even better buys in Charlotte and Lee Counties. I try to keep up with the market because we moved to Venice last year and have our condo for sale. It can give you an idea of what's available: a nice 2/2 in a quiet 55+ “old Florida” community on a canal for fishing and kayaking, walk to the beach, and close to shopping - for less than $165,000 . With so many foreclosures and so few buyers, who presumably can't sell their existing homes, things are slow.

So don't give up. Come on down after you retire and take a look around. There'll be plenty of room for you on the beach (the snowbirds will have gone home)!
carolepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolepr View Post
Hi janetvj, Good to hear from you. It occurs to me that if you really want to move to Florida, this could be the best time in years, since house prices have fallen so much. If you can sell (big 'if' I know) you can almost certainly find a very nice home in Sarasota County in almost any price range, and there are even better buys in Charlotte and Lee Counties. I try to keep up with the market because we moved to Venice last year and have our condo for sale. It can give you an idea of what's available: a nice 2/2 in a quiet 55+ “old Florida” community on a canal for fishing and kayaking, walk to the beach, and close to shopping - for less than $165,000 . With so many foreclosures and so few buyers, who presumably can't sell their existing homes, things are slow.

So don't give up. Come on down after you retire and take a look around. There'll be plenty of room for you on the beach (the snowbirds will have gone home)!
Thanks for the encouragement Carole! I have made a few trips down already to check out different areas. I love the Venice area - and I know nearby North Port and Port Charlotte have some fantastic bargains right now. I also really liked the Inverness area a bit north of that location. A lot farther from the beach, but the lakes are beautiful, and I like the proximity to biking and hiking trails, and that it's less touristy. I have no doubt that I could find something perfect for me. But selling my house could be somewhat of a challenge, so we'll see.
janetvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolepr View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm an ER who moved to the Sarasota/Venice area on Florida's gulf coast a couple of years ago from Phoenix - too hot, too much like LA, and definitely no cool ocean breezes!

Love this part of Florida, the white sandy beaches, numerous walking and bike trails, bird watching, etc. Most of this is free, thankfully, because with the collapse of my 401k and interest rates, there isn't much left for anything else!

Happy to hear from anyone contemplating a similar move.
WOW.....I live in Jacksonville Florida and still have a few years until retirement. My wife and I are looking at the Phoenix area to retire. Strange what makes people tick huh?

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach, economy, florida