Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from Cebu
Old 09-12-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi from Cebu

I am a 55 year old guy with two grown up children. I have a big problem I want to have grandchildren, but these kids are not yet attached. While waiting I am preparing for my retirement. I have saved already 1/4 of my goal. Hope to reach that in 5 years.
lomi_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. Have you considered working with kids in need on a volunteer basis until (or if ) your kids decide to have kids of their own?

Good luck with your retirement plan.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Good Idea
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #3

Good Idea

Haven't thought of that. Although, once every two weeks, my wife and I go to her sister's grandson to have an intellectual discussion. This five year old boy is just amazing. He talks like an adult. And he dispenses with his advice like a shrink.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi!

It may take a while to get grandkids... My Mom discovered that too. And meanwhile started a 'fairytales' weekly book-reading session for the kids from our street - the kids loved it, the parents loved it, Mom was happy...!! (She read a picture book or two, then they drew and maybe did puppets, and once a year they performed for the parents at a street 'party')

Just a suggestion, if maybe you and your wife liked something like that!
freeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Mabuhay

Welcome and all that. Look around and make yourself at home. Good luck with the grandkids, my parents had to wait until they were 62.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #6

That's a good idea

Freeline, you are as young as our daughter.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Our first (and only) grandchild came along when my daughter was 35, and I was 59. I really didn't expect that there were going to be any, but she's here, and going on four! She's a blessing. As they say, "If I had known how much fun grandchildren would be, I'd have had them first"

Hang in there.....
Puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well, they say 30s are the new 20s!

Puzzley, the story of your daughter is inspiring!

Another idea, Mom also has a sponsored kid in Africa, and she loves getting pictures etc. I have a sponsored kiddie in Brasil, & joked to my parents they were to be grandparents once I signed up for it! (cheaper than a real kid, and teaching me some responsibility, hopefully!) There are various programmes, in some it is encouraged to send letters & photos etc. here and forth!

Other than that, showing lots of love & courtesy to your wife (& vice versa) will be the most of inspiration to the kids to get married!
freeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

My mother used to bother me (her oldest child) about having grandchildren. I never did it, but my siblings produced nine of the little darlings before they figured out what was causing it.

Be careful what you ask for...
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Big Family
Old 09-22-2007, 07:45 AM   #10

Big Family

Caroline

My wife has 2 brothers and 4 sisters. We are five in the family. The average no. of children for the two families combined is 2.4. I don't mind having 8 grandkids, two for each of our children. Haven't asked them though. I know they will object.