Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from cold Cleveland, home of the Browns!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi from cold Cleveland, home of the Browns!

and Indians and Cavaliers. I came across this website because someone on another website used the term FIRE Port and I went to google and it came up with Financially Independent Retire Early website, so here I am. I want to learn about that so please get me started. I am 73 and still working as a consultant but for only another couple years. Most of my investments are in stocks and mutual funds and just 3 individual bonds in an IRA. I want to begin to establish a fixed income portfolio and thought I might get some help here. We'll I have to help my wife get the turkey ready so I'll talk to you all later. Happy, Healthy, Wealthy Thaksgiving. we are truly very lucky and thankful.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome.

Lot of interesting thread here, both on investing and getting the most of Social Security. I am sure there are some Browns fans here too.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I am 73 and still working as a consultant but for only another couple years.
Just another couple of years, eh? So, if this is early, what would you consider a normal retirement date?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't expect to live more than a couple years past 73 let alone work that long.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't work that hard or for very long, so it's more of a hobby and I have plenty of time for biking, golf, hiking, vacations, etc. Even in a couple years, I'll still be working some. I recommend it to all. and , heck I've got a new body, 2 replacement hips, triple bypass, cataract surgery, so I'm a bit bionic. Yea, early for me is at least 75 cause I'll probobly live to 95+ from the genes of my mother and grandparents and great grandparents.

Now back to investing, where do I find FIRE Port info and how to use it?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, oldman, and happy Thanksgiving.

Perhaps rather than FIRE Port you mean FIRECalc? There's a link at the bottom of this page. Directions included.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

I didn't say I was smart. How do I find your link? Thanks.

"There's a link at the bottom of this page. Directions included"
Old 11-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's a FIRECalc link at the bottom of each page But here's one, too:

FIRECalc

Best wishes!

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome, oldman. There's a lot of good info on this board. Some of it you can skip...like whether to take SS at 62, 66 or 70. Good luck with your plans, and I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Twink
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote