Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from Dublin, Ohio can't quite decide on a date
Old 09-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi from Dublin, Ohio can't quite decide on a date

Hello everyone I just found this site and am excited to be here. I am 54 years old and I really want to retire but just can't put a finger on the date. I have worked in the public sector for the past 31 years. 6 years ago I entered the deferred retirement option plan (DROP) and must leave no later that July of 2017. The thought of staying until 2017 is unbearable.

My wife is 48 years old and a nurse for the local school district and earns $82,000. she plans on working until 55. she has a state pension and her own 403b plan.

if I retire my pension is $60,000 with a 3%COLA. I have a 457 (ICMA-RC) plan with $410,000.00 and is in a managed portfolio
Stable Value/Cash Management 20.5%
Bond 46.0%
Balanced/Asset Allocation 5.9%
U.S. Stock 18.2%
International/Global Stock 6.5%
Guaranteed Lifetime Income 2.9

My DROP account is approximately $446,000.00 and each month approximately $6,750.00 is added to the DROP account, that includes interest. The interest is based upon the 10 year treasury note. Upon retirement I will roll the DROP money into the 457 plan to get a better return. All money is available at retirement regardless of my age.

my payout when i retire will be approximately $60,000 which I will roll $36,000 into my 457 plan.

I have 2 kids one a senior in high school with no plans for college and the other a senior in college. we have no debt except for a mortgage of $196,000 at 3.875%

we have $80,000 in cash for emergencies or whatever.

I have analyzed it to death i am caught in that trap where I keep saying if I just stay one more month I will get more money.

can't wait to read all of the forums and tap into the wealth of knowledge that is on this site. thanks.
Chief322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You don't mention your expenses but living in Ohio I can't imagine you need to work another day. Just your pension and savings alone should be plenty. Throw in your wifes pension and savings and you'll be living large even if you retire tomorrow. Working now, IMO, is optional.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Chief, welcome aboard. It looks like you have the things in real good shape. What about the expense side of things? Have you been using Quicken or piece of software to track your expenses?
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree with the other suggestions that you know your budget and expenses, but I would think with your's and your wife's pensions that you can meet all your expenses without needing much withdrawal from savings.

So it is basically an emotional decision vs a financial decision. There are many financial calculators, such as FIRECalc here, or others that can show you the numbers and help ease your fears.

welcome to the forum, you should spend a lot of time reading and don't be afraid to ask questions.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for responding, I have tracked my expenses for over a year and we downsized last November. According to my calculations, between my wife's salary and my pension, it will cover our expenses and there will be money left over each month to travel.

I am also curious if people continue to fund savings during their retirement years or just spend it all.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and I agree with the others that financially you can go whenever you feel like it.

Re saving after retirement right now we're spending it all but when I start SS next spring we might save some of it. Whatever for, I couldn't tell you but old habits can be hard to break.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #7

Welcome Chief! I would agree with the other posts that you are good to go. But if you haven't seen them yet, there are two excellent resources here that might help you set that date sooner rather than later:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html

and

Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Come on back with specific questions anytime!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief322 View Post
Thanks for responding, I have tracked my expenses for over a year and we downsized last November. According to my calculations, between my wife's salary and my pension, it will cover our expenses and there will be money left over each month to travel.

I am also curious if people continue to fund savings during their retirement years or just spend it all.
We RE earlier this year @ 53 and SS is a ways away, no pensions. So not sure how to "continue to fund savings" at least not until SS. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here in this situation. Now someone may have a different definition on what add to savings is.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief322 View Post

Welcome to the forum.

We are also in Ohio, just north of Akron. My husband is retired from a county social service agency and is receiving a pension from OPERS.

Yes, we are able to still save about 15% of the monthly pension. No mortgage and no other debt, so our cost of living here in Ohio is very reasonable. Travel is just not our thing, we are currently saving for a new kitchen.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Chief! This is amazing - lots of 'smart' people you can relate to. Great info to give you the financial advice and emotional support. Crunch the numbers and if it makes sense, weigh your options and select the date.

The pivotal point for me, personally, was reading a quote from this board: 'You can always make more money, but you can not make more time'.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Chief,

Have you thought about what you'll do once retired. I'm not retired, so I can't speak from experience, but I think it's important to have some clear plans as to what you'll do once retired.

Your pension, spouse's work plans/pension, along with your savings look like a strong foundation to me.

All the best,
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For me, we got to a point where I was confident that we had plenty to live on and could retire. From that point forward, I wasn't working for me because it was unlikely that we would ever spend the money I was adding to the kitty.... I was working for Uncle Sam and my kids. I decided that I would rather have free time than continue to work to benefit Uncle Sam and my kids perhaps a bit selfish of me... but ces't la vie.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:01 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have a list of things I want to make time for, motorcycle touring, learning a second language, learn to play the guitar and continue my volunteer work with a local food pantry.