Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from Nature Lover
Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi from Nature Lover

Hi Everyone,

I’m 56, long-time observer, and joining so that I can be a part of the conversation.

Financial Status:

Long-time follower of LBYM lifestyle, common in my family. Single, with no kids, I retired at 55, with modest pension income that covers all current expenses (discretionary and non-discretionary), and allows a little to be saved for the future.

I also have a portfolio of investments that has grown over the years. As a retiree, I now invest it more conservatively than I did when working; however, with a potential 40 year retirement, my plan for the foreseeable future is to continue to hold 55-65% in equities.

Retirement Philosophy:

While I loved my career, having spent nearly 35 years in finance and accounting; I retired to enjoy life, spend more time with family and friends, and reconnect with nature.

In late 2014, I took a pause and realized that too many 70+ hour weeks, the labor and emotional cost of helping to successfully guide our organization through the recession, and years of caregiving to family members had simply drained the battery. The joy from all the accomplishments was gone, and didn’t look to be coming back anytime soon. By Springtime 2015, I gave notice; and by Fall I made a successful transition and exit.

Unburdened by work obligations, I’m now able to focus more on living a stress free, healthier, more enjoyable life. I love that I have the opportunity to get out and reconnect with nature, see family and friends more often, eat healthier, train daily, and be more active in my community. And I smile and laugh more today than I did before….. not a surprise, of course; clearly the result of a good decision.

I happily found this online ER community in early 2015, and while I was not going to be a super-early retiree, I saw many like minded people discussing life beyond work. I’ve learned much from all of you, and I’m looking forward to being a part of the conversation.
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Lover View Post
Unburdened by work obligations, I’m now able to focus more on living a stress free, healthier, more enjoyable life. I love that I have the opportunity to get out and reconnect with nature, see family and friends more often, eat healthier, train daily, and be more active in my community. And I smile and laugh more today than I did before….. not a surprise, of course; clearly the result of a good decision.
Welcome aboard Nature Lover! I'm also a Class of 2015 graduate and nature lover. Where I live, though, it takes more enthusiasm to get out year round.

Like you, I'm living healthier and more relaxed. I'm not doing anything dramatic, just living life with DW, friends, and hobbies. I can't wait for the warm weather season year to get out on the lake.

What are your outdoor sports?

Good luck!

FB
Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

Welcome aboard.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi FreeBear (and you too, Nodak),

My go to activity is hiking, although if it's got mountains, streams or rivers, forests, oceans or bays, I'm pretty much in! Lots of trails here in the Bay Area and lots of meet up groups that like day hikes, so that's been my emphasis since retiring. I'm sure I'll be expanding my horizons in time.

NL
Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We did a lot of nature oriented travel right after retiring. Loved it. Also had time to study all those nature-oriented subjects I missed in college.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Nature Lover!

I really enjoyed reading your post. Great day for a hike today...but then, what day isn't? :-)
haloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome! Sounds like everything has come together very nicely for you. Congrats and enjoy!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Nature Lover! You have a great blueprint for retirement. Enjoying nature IMO is the best retirement pastime.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:37 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. You won't find a better place to come to ask or reply on this great site.

I am a nature person and I'm in the hills almost everyday. I snowshoes to a small cabin I have and spend time there which is one of the most relaxing things you will ever do. Good luck in your journey.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We did a lot of nature oriented travel right after retiring. Loved it. Also had time to study all those nature-oriented subjects I missed in college.
Hi Audrey,

I just spent some time last week researching some trips on the Roads Scholar site, and some of them look awesome! You have to plan a bit in advance, but I expect I'll be considering signing up for a few of these in the coming years.

Thanks for the encouragement!

NL
Old 02-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloFIRE View Post
Welcome Nature Lover!

I really enjoyed reading your post. Great day for a hike today...but then, what day isn't? :-)
Hi HaloFIRE,

Today, after several weeks of rain and gray/overcast days, it's a beautiful 55 degrees and sunny.....Finished all my chores, and heading out ...

NL

PS. looks like the weather will be like this for a week or so...so it's going to be a great week!!!
Old 02-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #12

Welcome Nature Lover, I was in Costa Rica or on the way back when you first posted. My wife and I moved to a small town (population 200) in the largest sky island in SE Arizona 11 years ago. An hour to a Wal-Mart, 2 hours to a dentist, but 1/2 mile to the Chiricahua Wilderness part of 1,780,000. acre Coronado National Forest. 30 miles from Mexico so we get subtropical critters and birds, lots of hiking, rock climbing. I am 65 now and hope to stay here until health or other problems arise. Definitely need to be able to drive. Enjoy the great outdoors.

My backyard, no snow today, sunny and 78 degrees.

PICT0001 (1).jpg
Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #13

Grasshopper, love the Chiricahuas! On my radar is a winter trip to AZ, have only seen it in late spring and summer.
Nature Lover, I too look forward to being outdoors as much as possible once I retire. I am out a lot ... but mostly weekends. I want to be ready to go whenever good weather presents itself. I am trying to be patient ... I see myself retiring some time between August 2018 and June 2019. I wonder if the extra 9 months really will be worth it.
Pellice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Welcome Nature Lover, I was in Costa Rica or on the way back when you first posted. My wife and I moved to a small town (population 200) in the largest sky island in SE Arizona 11 years ago. An hour to a Wal-Mart, 2 hours to a dentist, but 1/2 mile to the Chiricahua Wilderness part of 1,780,000. acre Coronado National Forest. 30 miles from Mexico so we get subtropical critters and birds, lots of hiking, rock climbing. I am 65 now and hope to stay here until health or other problems arise. Definitely need to be able to drive. Enjoy the great outdoors.

My backyard, no snow today, sunny and 78 degrees.

Attachment 25426
Hi Grasshopper,

Thanks for stopping by...and let me say I envy your backyard view. My day to day outdoor activities are more suburban/local trails based, with the occasional visit to one of our regional parks. They're more forest/meadow/hills.... less rustic looking than your area; but still really pretty.

NL
Old 02-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Grasshopper, love the Chiricahuas! On my radar is a winter trip to AZ, have only seen it in late spring and summer.
Nature Lover, I too look forward to being outdoors as much as possible once I retire. I am out a lot ... but mostly weekends. I want to be ready to go whenever good weather presents itself. I am trying to be patient ... I see myself retiring some time between August 2018 and June 2019. I wonder if the extra 9 months really will be worth it.
Hi Pellice,

Thanks for chiming in; always great to meet another nature lover. Regarding the need to be patient...if you need to stay with the job for an extra 9 months to solidify your financial needs (maybe meet a pension threshold or vesting retiree health?), it's definitely worth holding on. Sacrificing 9 months to ensure a better 20-30 years to follow is a good deal. If it really doesn't make a difference financially, there may be other options to exit sooner.

In the meantime, get outside when you can and enjoy!

NL