Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from NYC
Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi from NYC

Hi I am Tommy from Queens, NY. Ive been lurking but this is my first post. Here are the basics about me to be discussed in greater length in another post.

Civil Service job
Live with mom
Salary: 40k(will increase to 70's in 5 years)
Expenses: $750/month
debt: $0
Savings 5k in savings acct
tommyjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Tommy, and welcome to the forum! Great job on the debt. And great savings rate -- you'll quickly build up net worth that way.

If you don't mind saying, who do you work for? Feds? The city?

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

The City
tommyjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Where you from Tommy?
I'm from Woodside originally.

Staying with mom can be painful sometimes, but it'll help your finances for sure. I put away what I would have paid for rent when I lived with my folks & used it for downpayment on a house later on.

Good luck.
Salaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Live with your mom until you can buy a house, assuming she doesn't mind.

Here in Europe family bonds are strong and it is very common for children to live with their parents until they can buy their first place. It's not looked down upon at all here, like in the States. Here your parents would smack you upside the head for wasting money on rent instead of staying with them and saving.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:43 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Tommy -

I have a couple of friends working for the city, it has a fantastic retirement plan. And although 62 may not seem like ER from your perspective, it certainly qualifies and will definitely seem early 40 years from now.

The problem, if you want to call it that, is the retirement package becomes its own set of golden handcuffs... there's no leaving early once you've put in some time there. THe value of those benefits you get at 62 is immense.

Welcome to the forum!