Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Zor,

We were in AU & NZ south island last year. Mostly NZ. We did the great barrier reef, off of Port Douglass then down to Sydney for a bit. After that we spent about 10 days in NZ. A fantastic place! Even tho it is on the other side of the world from us (Chicago area) I said last year that I would go back to NZ!

So almost, but instead, we are going to Melbourne on Sunday (thru Sydney). We will visit Philips island for the penguins, then do the Great Ocean Road for 3 nights and then up to Halls Gap for a small bit of glamping. After that back to Melbourne for a night before back thru Sydney to Portland Wash for a few days then home.

There is so much to do over there between the 2 countries, I think next time I may suggest we stay for a couple of months.

Bob
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks Mdlerth. I have not read a lot yet on this blog, just starting to. I only got FIREd up in Jan this year, after 10-12 years of navel-gazing. After a few well-deserved self-inflicted punches/kicks, I woke up, googled & learnt more about FIRE.

I always thought of myself as a reasonably educated person with a reasonable/moderate level of intelligence/common sense. However, it took me 10-12 years to realize that I dont need $1 billion to retire. Its amazing how things are etched into our heads through the course of our lives that stop us from seeing the obvious.

So I started reading as many blogs as I could, frantically banged numbers into spreadsheets & finally came up with a plan. And now, 3 months later, I am technically at basic FI after some re-organisation of investments. The next step is to get to a more advanced level of FI over the next 1-2 years.

I am also blogging about it now and looking to get a Financial advisory licence to focus on the younger generation in NZ. I often get people asking me what to do with their finances and I enjoy discussing it with them. So might as well do something I am passionate about instead of my current corporate zombie status.

I also feel like I wish I had someone show me different paths when I was younger and explain this whole financial/FIRE world to me. I would have done a few things quite differently and taken on a lot LESS stress.

My main motivator for FIRE is family & community. I have not spent much time with my family for years now because of this ridiculous chase of money, to retire eventually!
Zorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, auz, early retirement secrets, financial independence, new zealand