Join Early Retirement Today

Hi From Sacramento
Old 12-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi From Sacramento

Hello all, I am 49, and I will retire in January 2019. I have observed this blog for years vicariously through my DW and have finally joined in the conversation. Thank you for all of the wonderful retirement tips and encouragement and I look forward to reading more, and contributing.
StephieJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi from your neighbor an hour southwest! My 1st retirement date was 50 bc that's when lifetime HC eligibility as part of pension kicked in (current pymt $100m) ..... wondering if your reasoning is the same & how's gardening?
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephieJean View Post
Hello all, I am 49, and I will retire in January 2019. I have observed this blog for years vicariously through my DW and have finally joined in the conversation. Thank you for all of the wonderful retirement tips and encouragement and I look forward to reading more, and contributing.
Welcome. Are you planning to retire in Sacramento area?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Hi from your neighbor an hour southwest! My 1st retirement date was 50 bc that's when lifetime HC eligibility as part of pension kicked in (current pymt $100m) ..... wondering if your reasoning is the same & how's gardening?
You are living in a very expensive area. Your pension must be great. What is $100m? Is it per month or year? What is 'm', million?
Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #5

I retired from working at SMUD in Sacramento. Good town to retire in, although I now live up the hill near Placerville. Retired at 55 and I'm nearing 62. If you are interested in talking retirement, send me a message and we'll meet up for coffee or something.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

OMY! Congrats!
Old 12-31-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Something I have become curious about is mobility between 45 and 55. Is there any steep/noticeable decline in energy or is it just par for the course? If I’m thinking of retirement around 45 what is the trade off for up to +3 years in terms of energy levels (assuming fit/exercising individual)
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
Something I have become curious about is mobility between 45 and 55. Is there any steep/noticeable decline in energy or is it just par for the course? If I’m thinking of retirement around 45 what is the trade off for up to +3 years in terms of energy levels (assuming fit/exercising individual)
I did not notice any significant changes in energy level between 45 and 55.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #9

I never noticed any slowing down from 45 to 55. I have noticed a leveling off now that I'm 61. However, I can still out skill both my sons, who are in their early 30's, skiing, hiking, kayaking. I can keep up with them on the mountain bikes, but I'm working at it like I remember feeling when I first got into the sport.

I think if you have a skill set already, you won't notice a difference. Learning something new and physical though, might be a longer learning curve. Non-physical, I'm better than ever; playing guitar, strategy games like chess, poker, etc.

I did start to notice after age 50 that I don't heal nearly as quickly, nor bounce back from exertion as quickly either. Torn rotator cuff, tendonitis, and other injuries I've had and healed from in my younger years creep back and don't fully heal now. Hearing is starting to be more noticeable but eyesight has remained steady. I'm also not as skilled at writing my name in the snow,,, IF you get my drift. Ha!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:59 PM   #10

You retiring in Sac or moving elsewhere? Seems like a lot of Californians leave the state. We are 50/50 about such a movie.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
My reasoning is b/c i turn 50 and as a peace officer, i can retire 3.0 at 50.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Welcome. Are you planning to retire in Sacramento area?
no, too expensive in California. Hitting the Oregon Trail.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
You retiring in Sac or moving elsewhere? Seems like a lot of Californians leave the state. We are 50/50 about such a movie.
I am born and bread Californian; however, it is just too congested and expensive. Hitting the Oregon trail. Less pollution, more nature and they pump our gas for us and give dog treats to our dogs, (not us) LOL
Old 01-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #14

When I worked at SMUD, they would hire retired CHP and perhaps other LEO's as trainers. As I recall, retirement didn't include medical, but SMUD did after working 5 years, so they came to work just for the medical pension benefit.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
Starting around age 51, I've had a few instances where climbing a steep hill (with ropes and harness), or just four flights of stairs, or biking 2 miles to work EXHAUSTED ME. This seems to come and go. Most days, I'm fine. I bike 20 miles a week, swim 2-3 days a week, and scuba dive once or twice a week, so I'm reasonably fit. My friend comlained that by age 67, he had to work out 1.5 hours a day, just to maintain his stamina and strength. You mileage may vary.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #16

Just my experience. I had thought 40 was going to go downhill but I found that I could do at 50 about everything I could at 40. Then at 50 ‘the warranty ran out’ , suddenly its tooth crowns, bifocals and fitness decreases.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmm, I had open heart surgery for a aortic valve replacement at the age of 53 in 2013. 5 years later at 58 I feel better, walk farther and faster than I did then.

I have noticed in the last year or so my strength is not as good as it was. Guess I need to start some weight training along with my 5 mile daily walks.

Otherwise all is good. Minus the bifocals with prisms in them to read longer than 30 minutes like I use to do with just the bifocals.

Have to thank God for the good health I feel at this point in my life.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote