Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from Tucson and summers by the lake in WI.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi from Tucson and summers by the lake in WI.

Am 62 retired 9 months ago and wife is 55 still working. We have two homes and snowbird it, no debt, no mortgages. Cars at both places, etc. I spend a lot of time playing tennis, but my passion is a small airplane we own and use to travel some. I was in software, and grew into a consulting role trying to help companies make sense of their IT investments. I loved the role, but the travel and telecommuting over 12 years just wore me down. I can't even think about going to a hotel or an airport flying commercial anymore. In fact I hate everything that is associated with travel, wife hopes I get over that someday. She is heading to Scotland for two weeks with friends next week and I consider it a blessing that I don't have to go!

I rolled my 401k and several small IRAs to vanguard and follow Paul Merriam's advice. I have about 8 funds and so far so good. Small pension and am delaying SS as long as my wife continues to work, she is a telecommuter as well...I would like her to retire, but she still enjoys the work and frankly we don't need to touch assets or worry about health care as long as she does. We can still save 3-4 thousand a month.

It has taken a while to get into the role of retiree and I must say the first four to six months were odd. Sometimes I felt like I needed to login to work to see what was going on and then remember, oh I don't do that anymore. But I would never go back and so far so good.
s35flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. Now you can just log into here to see what is going on....

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by s35flyer View Post
Am 62 retired 9 months ago and wife is 55 still working. We have two homes and snowbird it, no debt, no mortgages. Cars at both places, etc....but my passion is a small airplane we own and use to travel some. I can't even think about going to a hotel or an airport flying commercial anymore. In fact I hate everything that is associated with travel, wife hopes I get over that someday. She is heading to Scotland for two weeks with friends next week and I consider it a blessing that I don't have to go!
Welcome, your set up somewhat mimics ours except subsitute MN for WI. In fact we are heading to the UK in May as well.

Southern AZ offers some great flying weather during the winter months. Marana Regional was my hangout for many years.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm jealous- esp looking at the snow here in Midwest on Tax Day . Only been to Tucson a couple times, but have frequently been to metro Phoenix over past 20+yrs. Phoenix has grown way too big. Much prefer Tucson. More laid back but still with 'big city' services and a major state university.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Welcome, your set up somewhat mimics ours except subsitute MN for WI. In fact we are heading to the UK in May as well.

Southern AZ offers some great flying weather during the winter months. Marana Regional was my hangout for many years.

Marana is where I'm based. It's still there and pretty uncrowded.
s35flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by s35flyer View Post
Marana is where I'm based. It's still there and pretty uncrowded.
It's pretty dead now as compared to the late '80's and '90's with an active experimental group and aerobatic club. It was great until the city of Marana took it over. Of course tripling of fuel prices has not helped GA.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome from a fellow SE Arizonian, I am still 3 hours from Tucson, 3 miles west of New Mexico, and 30 miles north of Old Mexico. Home of the past Sky Gypsies.