Hi From Upstate New York

bless you :angel: for saying the winters are too long. we actually have 7 seasons here...
late winter, early spring, rainy mud season, summer, indian summer, fall, & winter.

Hey, you forgot black flies season.

Mom - Born in Brooklyn - the city
Me - born in Warwick - upstate NY
- lived in Syracuse - central NY
- visited Buffalo - western NY

Funny how people see things. My grandmother lived in Oswego county and I still have an Aunt in Mexico. They average over 200" of snow a year :duh:

Hey, you forgot black flies season.

Mom - Born in Brooklyn - the city
Me - born in Warwick - upstate NY
- lived in Syracuse - central NY
- visited Buffalo - western NY

Funny how people see things. My grandmother lived in Oswego county and I still have an Aunt in Mexico. They average over 200" of snow a year :duh:
yes, of course, the blackflies, season #8. they're not too bad here, but in the Adirondacks in June, OMG! i won't go near the park until at least late July.
I've driven thru Mexico NY in wintertime and saw the snow there, after the fact. i'm just south of the tug hill plateau, TG. so we get a lot, but nowhere near that much.
ever heard of Redfield NY? they had 141" of snow in 10 days :eek: in Feb 08, right after the Super Bowl. i used to write a snowmobile club newsletter and reported that record amount last spring, in the pre-mud season. the weather channel ever came to that town to do a special program.
warwick is not too far away from where i grew up near the bear mt bridge.

Welcome to the board, Marilyn! Sounds like you'll have no problems being responsible for your own entertainment.

But, I am still working on the "you're too young to not work!" guilt trips. Finding this forum, and a whole bunch of people who are young and ER'd, was/is a great help. With continued reading of this forum, and the great postings here, hopefully, I'll be able to work through the guilt of not working and be happily ER'd.
Survivor guilt. It fades away...

hey, i HEARD that! :bat:
are you in cahoots with my dh2b? he is a snowmobiler and drives me nutz from November to February wishing for more..ahem <clears throat>
s...sn..sno...oh, i can't say it yet! LOL

Yeah, it is too early for that. I hade to scrape my windows already on the morning of Oct 1st...depressing.

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome to the board ... and for the comments about NY.

I had originally planned on retiring in Texas because of no state tax and no snow (!). But, I picked NY because my family all lives here.

It's not too bad, although I never thought I'd live where there is SNOW (!). But, someone on this board had a point (sorry that I am too lazy to look back now that I am in posting mode...). When you are retired, and therefore don't really HAVE to go somewhere, snow (and shoveling) ain't too bad - you can get to it as you wish. Nice! And, since I do think upstate (western?) New York is beautiful country ... I can deal.

And, Oma - congrats on YOUR service and retirement (come on in the water's fine!). Also, you asked:
Hi Marilyn,

[...snip...]

Curious if you find the taxes high in NY? Are military pensions taxed in NY?

[...snip...]

I really don't find the taxes high here; sales tax in the counties run 7-8%, while property tax runs about 2% (but most people are eligible for the STAR exemption and, as a military person who has served in the military and a combat zone - I get a veteran's exemption). As I am not in the city, living expenses are relatively low.

And, NY is one of the states that does not tax the pension (which was a MAJOR part of my decision to move here - no matter if the family is here or not). I would never retire in a state [that I did not work in] that taxes my federal pay. I'm just greedy like that...

Again, thanks all for the welcome.

Marilyn

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome to the board ... and for the comments about NY....It's not too bad, although I never thought I'd live where there is SNOW (!). But, someone on this board had a point...When you are retired, and therefore don't really HAVE to go somewhere, snow (and shoveling) ain't too bad - you can get to it as you wish. Nice!
STAR exemption and, as a military person who has served in the military and a combat zone - I get a veteran's exemption).
And, NY is one of the states that does not tax the pension...
that was me regarding shovel when ya feel like it. i look at it as getting some exercise with no gym fees. :D
vet's exemption on prop taxes is great - you deserve it!
one of the few tax advantages that NY has - no tax on mil pensions. Ssssshhhhhh! Albany has big ears. :rolleyes:

Ssssshhhhhh! Albany has big ears. :rolleyes:

You got that right! That's one thing that makes me nervous about living in this state - despite the family and new home.

And, with this current economic mess - which, no doubt, is making the state powers-that-be very nervous about operating money (as a LOT comes from the city ...), who knows WHAT Albany will do!

Definitely watching the "weather" from the capitol ... :D

Marilyn

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome to the board ... and for the comments about NY.

I had originally planned on retiring in Texas because of no state tax and no snow (!). But, I picked NY because my family all lives here.

It's not too bad, although I never thought I'd live where there is SNOW (!). But, someone on this board had a point (sorry that I am too lazy to look back now that I am in posting mode...). When you are retired, and therefore don't really HAVE to go somewhere, snow (and shoveling) ain't too bad - you can get to it as you wish. Nice! And, since I do think upstate (western?) New York is beautiful country ... I can deal.

And, Oma - congrats on YOUR service and retirement (come on in the water's fine!). Also, you asked:

I really don't find the taxes high here; sales tax in the counties run 7-8%, while property tax runs about 2% (but most people are eligible for the STAR exemption and, as a military person who has served in the military and a combat zone - I get a veteran's exemption). As I am not in the city, living expenses are relatively low.

And, NY is one of the states that does not tax the pension (which was a MAJOR part of my decision to move here - no matter if the family is here or not). I would never retire in a state [that I did not work in] that taxes my federal pay. I'm just greedy like that...

Again, thanks all for the welcome.

Marilyn

My parents (live in Fairport NY-outside of Rochester), told me that NYS gives a 20k exemption per person for retirement income.

Father has a pension or IRA from his employer
Mother worked for state (librarian).

Not sure how factual that is, as they aren't as tax savvy or investing savvy as many others I know.

I love hearing about someone who is perfectly content not working after retirement, and admire the way you've figured out how much you need to live on, and don't feel the need always to be trying to make more, more, more.

Guess that free military health care helps too :) We just spent $15,000 on spouse's dental work...and that was with dental insurance. It would have been nearly $25K without the insurance. Made us grateful I'm still working.

Enjoy life in the beautiful upstate country.

Back
Top Bottom