Hi I am 40, DW 38, DS 6 and looking to retire in 10 years

Agni

Confused about dryer sheets
I have been lurking for quite some time and benefited from all the wonderful advice and discussions. I have always been a saver but only recently started low cost, index fund investing (inspired by boglehead.org).
DW and I have a combined NW of around 850K, with 550K in 401k, 23K in Roth (just started backdooring) and the rest in taxable. There is also around 38K for DS in 529 that is not included in NW above. From my budget it seems that our annual expenses are generally in the 40-50k range (Midwest COL). Most of my investments are in Vanguard funds and ETFs with an overall allocation of ~70/30. I have not yet optimized holdings for tax efficiency (e.g., I have REIT ETFs in taxable) but am planning to do this over time.
There are of course some big unknowns such as SS and Health and was wondering how to plan for these. Should I count on SS? How do I plan for health contingencies? Thanks!!

Welcome Agni.

SS - I'm seeing people factoring in 50 - 75% of current amount on SS estimates

Healthcare - is a wild card for many unless you have retiree benefits.

In 5 years things may be more clear with SS and Healthcare, but everyone should look into Plan A and Plan B and Plan C.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom