Hi, I am 57 thinking of retiring next year.

Congratulations.

Think it is weird now. Just wait til Monday morning. (Might be Tuesday morning, since Monday is New Years Day.)

Take a few months and decide what to do next, like decide where your next few vacations will be. Good luck.

Congratulations Jimon !! Welcome to the club !

I’m officially RETIRED!

Dropped off my ID badge and picked up my final check at noon.

Holy crap now what?

CONGRADULATIONS.... Just celebrated my 2nd anniversary, calling it quits at 58 with a state pension. The info and support of this fine group helped me face it without fear and a smile on my face.

Take a few months and decide what to do next, like decide where your next few vacations will be. Good luck.
We have five 2+ week trips (UK, Maui twice, Mexico, and Iowa) plus a few shorter ones already planned.

That's a great reason. I knew there was one. I'd drive that far too. I live 80 miles north in Minnesota.

I’m officially RETIRED!

Dropped off my ID badge and picked up my final check at noon.

Holy crap now what?

Welcome to the club. You will find plenty of stuff to do. Some of us struggle with the concept of no more w*rk. I took to it so well I'm beginning to think I'm just a lazy old guy. But, the transition was nearly seamless for me.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Two weeks in and I definitely don’t miss the job.

So far I have:

Spent time with my kids home from college. Went on a bike ride, several hikes, and some boulder climbing. Visited my dad and helped him mount some Model T tires.

Busy getting house ready for us to be gone most of February and March. I’m trying for efficient packing in a small backpack for Winter in the UK.

Two weeks in and I definitely don’t miss the job.

So far I have:

Spent time with my kids home from college. Went on a bike ride, several hikes, and some boulder climbing. Visited my dad and helped him mount some Model T tires.

Busy getting house ready for us to be gone most of February and March. I’m trying for efficient packing in a small backpack for Winter in the UK.

See, it comes naturally!:dance:

10 weeks into retirement update.

I don’t know what retirement is yet. We have mostly been traveling.

First week my kids were in town so it was just an extended holiday break.
Second week went to stay with my dad about 4 hours away.
Third-fourth weeks helped son pack for 6 months studying and traveling abroad; yard and house work; packing for two upcoming trips.
Fifth through seventh weeks our first trip to UK with a quick 4 day side trip to Prague(from California).
Eighth week (4 days really) recovery from trip and getting ready for next.
Ninth-tenth weeks traveling in Hawaii.

I guess next week will be the start of my “normal” retirement.

Planning to join the YMCA and start yoga classes and swimming lessons. Then strength training soon.

Two major DIY projects are planned which should be achieveable before summer. Then more trips.

The only thing that sounds good to me is all the exercise and perhaps the DIY on the house. Travel is just another form of work. Yuck.

Congrats! I'm about a month into this thing myself, but chose to continue working well beyond FI, so a little older than you. It's been strange for sure. Last night (Sunday), I kept reflexively thinking to myself "need to prepare for Monday morning" and then kept having to remind myself: "no yah don't, cause Monday's gonna be a lot like Sunday, except for rush hour which you should avoid." I've been busy, but a very different kind of busy. Hard to keep track of what day it is because I'm so used to my schedule being dictated by w*rk demands. It's gonna take some real time to rewire the brain.

10 weeks into retirement update.

I don’t know what retirement is yet. We have mostly been traveling.

First week my kids were in town so it was just an extended holiday break.
Second week went to stay with my dad about 4 hours away.
Third-fourth weeks helped son pack for 6 months studying and traveling abroad; yard and house work; packing for two upcoming trips.
Fifth through seventh weeks our first trip to UK with a quick 4 day side trip to Prague(from California).
Eighth week (4 days really) recovery from trip and getting ready for next.
Ninth-tenth weeks traveling in Hawaii.

I guess next week will be the start of my “normal” retirement.

Planning to join the YMCA and start yoga classes and swimming lessons. Then strength training soon.

Two major DIY projects are planned which should be achieveable before summer. Then more trips.

I hope you enjoyed your exciting start to your new chapter. It sounds wonderful. The YMCA and yoga classes sound good too!

Brilliant, curious to understand how you’ve been managing expenses.
Have you been using dividends? Selling bonds/stock? Just trying to get an idea.

Well done!

Brilliant, curious to understand how you’ve been managing expenses.
Have you been using dividends? Selling bonds/stock? Just trying to get an idea.

Well done!

WADR, it doesn't matter... money is fungible. On one extreme it could be all interest or dividends and on the other extreme it could be a portfolio of non-dividend paying stocks with occasional sales to fund spending. It doesn't matter economically... but it does in people's heads.

(P.S. My intent is to be provocative, not mean-spirited).

WADR, it doesn't matter... money is fungible. On one extreme it could be all interest or dividends and on the other extreme it could be a portfolio of non-dividend paying stocks with occasional sales to fund spending. It doesn't matter economically... but it does in people's heads.

(P.S. My intent is to be provocative, not mean-spirited).

Yeah, I don't even know how you would actually "take" the dividends unless from a sweep account or similar. I've done that, but not because they were dividends - just because I needed some money and that account was doing nothing at the time. YMMV

Yeah, I don't even know how you would actually "take" the dividends unless from a sweep account or similar. I've done that, but not because they were dividends - just because I needed some money and that account was doing nothing at the time. YMMV
Some of us have declared dividends from our taxable accounts go directly to our checking accounts. We refer to that as "taking our dividends".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom