hi I am..............a long time lurker...retired at 45 in may

smalltownguy1

Dryer sheet aficionado
Retired from Military in November 2015 and from State Civil Service at end of May 2016.
One military pension
one VA payment
one State retirement

45 and already retired? That's impressive. Congratulations, smalltownguy1, and welcome to the forum.

As a former lurker myself, I noticed that many new members include in their introductory post some anecdote about themselves, or perhaps pose a question illustrating why they decided to join. Is there anything in particular you think might be useful for folks to know about you? Or anything you'd like to ask some of the more experienced FIREes?

Retired from Military in November 2015 and from State Civil Service at end of May 2016.
One military pension
one VA payment
one State retirement

If you are receiving a military pension at 45 obviously you were active duty for 20 (not a reservist). How do you then rate a civil service state retirement just one year later?

If you are receiving a military pension at 45 obviously you were active duty for 20 (not a reservist). How do you then rate a civil service state retirement just one year later?

27 YRS 6 MONTHS 27 Days combined Reserve- national guard and active Duty
1988 Private E1 as a Junior in High School, I was a Staff Sergeant before I was Commissioned and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel
6+ yrs of Active Duty with 3 + years in Iraq 2003-2006 and one 9 month stint in Afghanistan in 2011

Military Chapter 61 Retirement (medical) for a progressively worsening Lung Damage(Constrictive Bronchiolitis) from a Sulfur Dioxide Exposure in Iraq and TBI/concussions from artillery/ mortar fire
10 yrs (2006 -2016) of actual State Civil Service and I bought 5 Military Years and one year of personal /PTO time for 16 Years of service. Pension is 16 x 0.023% of final 5 year salary
Edit
started a 401k at 19 and ira's at 17
I read "Cashing in on the American Dream" in 1990-1991,and started to get serious at 23-25 yrs old. I have a 6 figure TSP and about the same in an IRA and a 403b.

Last edited:
Thanks for your service!
+1

Since you're a long-time lurker, you already know there are quite a few veterans who are regulars, so don't hesitate to ask any service-related questions (or any others for that matter!). Nice to have you join us officially, smalltownguy!

+ another 1!! You're an example of the difference between someone financially acute and someone that is not. You understand your finances and max the opportunities!

Congratulations on retiring! Thanks for your service it is really appreciated.

+1. Thank you for serving our country. Lots of respect for guys like you who are metally and physically strong enough to survive active duty / combat situations and also smart enough to plan well for retirement! All the best, Medved

+1. Thank you for serving our country. Lots of respect for guys like you who are metally and physically strong enough to survive active duty / combat situations and also smart enough to plan well for retirement! All the best, Medved

^^^ This.

Congratulation smalltown! I kinda of did what you did, but my age was 62. Three checks coming in every month and a half million in tsp account that i probably never touch. i literally have more money coming in than i can spend. But i have a question for you. What are you going to do with your time off for the rest of your life? my buddy retired at 57 a few years back and we both agree that retirement life sucks. I still get up at 0400 or earlier every day...that leaves a lot of hours to kill.

Back
Top Bottom