Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Hi I am feeling old and poor
Old 12-24-2005, 10:01 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman
My current job is very easy and no stress at all but doesn't pay much. I did enjoy the pace at software companies, I did software support 11 years, constant stress, 24/7 emergency support, whole companies waiting for you to fix the software problems so they could work. I did apply for a job like that again this fall but didn't get it. Maybe I am just bored and not challlenged and should pretend I am 10 years younger and go start new things. I guess I would need a new name like middle aged woman.
I think you are a bit down in the dumps, and maybe a little depressed. I get this way now and then, and also have a job with not much stress, but Im also leaving early, trying to find something to perk me up.

So perhaps, with all of your accounting talent, a CPA and all, knowing how to do tax returns, what you need to do is first relax and get things in order,, financial. etc.

Try to picture yourself free from everything and walking down a street and seeing people tinkering at all sorts of stuff, and then try to think what you would like to be tinkering at. I always do this, I also am sort of in accounting, and I always look at construction sites thinking of how I would frame the house, put up the wall board, do the tile work.

You have to watch what other people do in as many things as possible, and then see if you too have the yen to do something that may perk you up.

Also, I would seriously look at the depression thing, it's the darkest time of the year and the lack of light plays on some people' s mind big time.

We are all rooting for you here and you are NOT an old woman despite what the mood demons are telling you.
Happy Holiday, Xmas, chanukah, kwanza and of course my favorite, FESTIVUS

jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always do this, I also am sort of in accounting, and I always look at construction sites thinking of how I would frame the house, put up the wall board, do the tile work.

I like talking to people and helping people and would love to be a finacial planner but so many are ripping people off I would be embarrised to be one. I want to help poor people that are trying to recover financially. If I ever have enough money I may start a place for divorced women to restart life. It would be a happy place with people sharing daycare duties and cooking and cleaning not much of a charity but an assist. I was lucky with my divorce I didn't have kids and my parents were there for me and I had a good job. I would love to own a farm with perhaps some cabins for people to help grow gardens and chickens and things to get free food. We could all make jam together and can tomatos and if anyone had a job interview or job leave the kids to those of us that weren't working. The kids could do farm chores or homework or build things in the workshop maybe pick berries for the jam. Divorced women often have trouble finding a place they could bring dogs so we could have a homeless shelter for the dogs too maybe a fenced field during the day and the could stay in the cabins at night.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #23

oldwoman, the 60's are dead, people now make war not love, and what you are describing sounds like a scene out of Orwell's 1984, that is, until the pigs took over the farm.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
HIPAA eligible when you exhaust COBRA, you should be able the buy an individual plan.* The question is cost.* I don't know what the cost ranges are for WA.*
Current Washington law states that if you are HIPPA eligible and have exhausted Cobra, you must be granted an individual policy without any underwriting.

The cost is not particularly high as these things go, I got one with no drug coverage and $1000 deductible for $220. This is a PPO plan; HMOs and other" gatekeeper" plans are $40 or so /month cheaper.

Ha
Old 12-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

You might explore a co-housing living arrangement.* There is one on Bainbridge (I mention it because you live in WA).* 'don't know anything specific about the group but from what I have heard the lifestyle might be a fit for you.* There must be co-housing in other communities.

Have you explored the posibility of becoming a court appointed conservitor?* These folks manage the finances of folks who can't do that for themselves.*
Old 12-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
oldwoman, the 60's are dead, people now make war not love, and what you are describing sounds like a scene out of Orwell's 1984, that is, until the pigs took over the farm.
You are confusing Orwell's books, sort of like mixing your metaphors,
which I kind of like. Should keep historical facts straight though IMHO.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #27

Quote:
I always do this, I also am sort of in accounting, and I always look at construction sites thinking of how I would frame the house, put up the wall board, do the tile work.

I like talking to people and helping people and would love to be a finacial planner but so many are ripping people off I would be embarrised to be one. I want to help poor people that are trying to recover financially. If I ever have enough money I may start a place for divorced women to restart life. It would be a happy place with people sharing daycare duties and cooking and cleaning not much of a charity but an assist. I was lucky with my divorce I didn't have kids and my parents were there for me and I had a good job. I would love to own a farm with perhaps some cabins for people to help grow gardens and chickens and things to get free food. We could all make jam together and can tomatos and if anyone had a job interview or job leave the kids to those of us that weren't working. The kids could do farm chores or homework or build things in the workshop maybe pick berries for the jam. Divorced women often have trouble finding a place they could bring dogs so we could have a homeless shelter for the dogs too maybe a fenced field during the day and the could stay in the cabins at night.
Yep, I took in a divorced woman with 3 dogs. Now she has a built-in
dogsitter while she is out hunting and gathering. In some ways we
have recreated a native American lifestyle. I sit around and
sharpen my tongue weapons while she provides most of the manual labor. Those redskins had a damn good system.

JG
Old 12-24-2005, 01:25 PM   #28

Have you explored the posibility of becoming a court appointed conservitor? These folks manage the finances of folks who can't do that for themselves.

I don't know how to do that but it would be worth looking into. One of my coworkers helps and elderly lady with things for pay. My grandmother will be 98 tomorrow and may outlive the man who is taking care of her money, he is 81 and keeps having stokes while she is in perfect health. Grandma still has two daughters but they are nearly 80 also. I could see grandma needing a court appointed person if the family didn't agree on my uncle and in the future his wife.
Do you know where I can apply? My ethics are excellent as well as no criminal history and a great credit rating and the education to do the accounting.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Yep, I took in a divorced woman with 3 dogs. Now she has a built-in
dogsitter while she is out hunting and gathering. In some ways we
have recreated a native American lifestyle. I sit around and
sharpen my tongue weapons while she provides most of the manual labor. Those redskins had a damn good system.

JG
Funny!
Old 12-24-2005, 06:01 PM   #30

I am 5% Cherokee Indian and I object to your use of the term "redskin".
However, You may wish me a "Merry Christmas" without complaint*
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Have you explored the posibility of becoming a court appointed conservitor?* These folks manage the finances of folks who can't do that for themselves.*
This is great. Is there anything at all that old woman has told us about herself or her management of her own finances that suggests she should have her skills as a money manager inflicted on helpless members of the public?

Why doesn't she just hang out a shingle as a Doctor? We at least don't have proof that she doesn't know anything about medicine.

Ha
Old 12-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Those redskins had a damn good system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
I am 5% Cherokee Indian and I object to your use of the term "redskin".
Easy JPatrick. I think JG was referring to the system the Redskins used back in the 80's when they were coached by Joe Gibbs and winning Superbowls.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:43 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is there anything at all that old woman has told us about herself or her management of her own finances that suggests she should have her skills as a money manager inflicted on helpless members of the public?
Maybe I missread OPs posting, but I thought she said she has an accounting background.

Frankly I don't see much money managment background here, but she could manage an incompentent person's income and bills.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #34

Maybe I missread OPs posting, but I thought she said she has an accounting background.

I have an accounting background, the only money I have managed is my own.
I have done a pretty good job, starting at less than zero 20 years ago I have managed to invest enough to have over 190K in stocks and mutual funds and have a home worth about 350K that I owe less than 72K. I also paid for two more years of college in a private school and passed the CPA exam on the first try.
The only job I have had that could be called money management was for a major insurance company were I managed millions of dollars. I manage a couple of million now but not invest it we need to keep it liquid I sometimes have to spend a half million or more in a day. I started working in accounting firms in 1974.
It may seem like I did a bad job but I just got a late start because of a divorce where he got everything.

I appreciate the people who have given me good ideas and the insurance information but some posters here seem a little mean.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:25 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I appreciate the people who have given me good ideas and the insurance information but some posters here seem a little mean.
You are right; I am being a Grinch. Sorry, and Merry Christmas.

Ha
Old 12-25-2005, 03:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Easy JPatrick.* I think JG was referring to the system the Redskins used back in the 80's when they were coached by Joe Gibbs and winning Superbowls.

I saw an old tape the other day showing Billy Kilmer. Remember him?
"Wobble and Win" with Billy. And prior to that was Sonny Jurgenson.
Big old beer gut but he could throw it a mile. He had a "buggy whip arm". Doubt those guys could play today. They didn't put in the time getting in shape like they do now.

JG
Old 12-25-2005, 08:14 AM   #37

If you sold your house and combined the equity with your stock savings you would have about $450K at 4% SWR you would have $18K per year. Probably a little tight. It might be possible though if you find a cheap enough place to live. Small houses in the Midwest can often be bought for under $50K. $1500 a month is not a lot but It could work in the right place. Perhaps take a part time job. An extra $1000 a month would make a big difference. And social security is only five years away.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
If you sold your house and combined the equity with your stock savings you would have about $450K at 4% SWR you would have $18K per year. Probably a little tight. It might be possible though if you find a cheap enough place to live. Small houses in the Midwest can often be bought for under $50K. $1500 a month is not a lot but It could work in the right place. Perhaps take a part time job. An extra $1000 a month would make a big difference. And social security is only five years away.
I have considered that but I don't like the midwest and my family is here. My roommate pays me $165 a week so that helps keep my cost of housing down. I might be able to stay in my current house and retire off my investments or move nearby so I don't have to go so far away. If I worked part time for say 10K a year I would be fine but not able to get ahead. I have considered moving to Forks, WA you can get houses as low as 25K or something decent for 200K. I have also considered having some mobile home spaces for rent on my land. With mobiles the owners would have all the maint and utilities issues I would just collect rents.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have also considered having some mobile home spaces for rent on my land. With mobiles the owners would have all the maint and utilities issues I would just collect rents.
Not a bad idea if you can do that under your zoning and are familiar with mobile home park laws. Be sure to check on water and sewer/septic issues as well. It is more difficult to evict a mobile home than a SFD tennant.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I like talking to people and helping people and would love to be a finacial planner but so many are ripping people off I would be embarrised to be one. I want to help poor people that are trying to recover financially.
Then this is your calling and is something you would be very happy with. I have a friend who also likes to speak with people, he is retired, but also an accountant and is very soothing to speak with.

He keeps picking up accounts both people in business who cant seem to get their acts together and poor people who just need a helping hand. I see now what he does, he collects pay from those in business who he helps out, which in turn subsidizes his ability to help those not able to afford financial advice.

I believe this may be what you want to do, and I suggest you get out there and meet as many people as possible, and keep in in a blend, some rich, some poor and just talk to them about their problems, not yours, and you will see just by listening to them, they will consider you the best conversationalist they ever met.

Most people are very insecure in their decisions, hence we have this board to give each other some courage and to validate our own RE decisions.

I believe this is true to the general population, since if you have a certain talent, by connecting and "listening to" them, you will be able to offer your knowledge and guidance. This I believe is the key to developing any type of service business, whether it be finance, insurance, banking, whatever, people love to be validated and made to feel secure.

You have answered your own question, get out there and mingle, it will come.
jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote