Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe you enjoy your job too much to quit. Maybe it's the adrenaline rush, maybe the intrinsic rewards of exercising all that competence you've built up, maybe the team (do they have teams on Wall Street?), maybe the work just fits your talents.

I did a poll once on "What made you finally pull the trigger?" It wasn't FI, it was usually something bad at work - new boss, new responsibilities, or just plain boredom. Very few people said they quit jobs they liked because they thought retirement would be even more fun.

If I'm pretty sure I'm burnt out but can't quit, I'd ask for a long vacation or a no-pay leave. Give myself time away from the phone where I can do other things. Spend a couple weeks in one national park, or puttering around the house, or on a river cruise in Europe. See what looks good. "But, even asking for time off could be bad for my career!" Exactly, what's the worst they could do, fire me?
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #22

FI is only one part of successful retirement. And at 45 even tho your nestegg is 40X current expenses, those expenses will likely rise with the cone of uncertainty being very large. The two biggies of health care (inc health ins premiums, OOPmax'es, etc.) and college have been rising MUCH faster than inflation.

Just posting the question suggests that you are not yet ready to quit. As Independent said, maybe the j#b is still giving you some rewards beyond the paycheck. And perhaps once you leave that door closes behind you for good. Nothing says you MUST retire when you reach FI. In fact being FI may even make your j#b more enjoyable knowing that your family's $$ future cannot be ruined by corporate 'downsizing' or office politics. But keep in mind that if you think you want to keep on for few more years, taking a special (not available to all) prolonged vacation or no-pay leave could be viewed as a big negative by colleagues or higher-ups.

Disclaimer- I failed at my 1st attempt at retirement from a hi-stress/hi pay position. After a few months I took a consulting gig, albeit with fewer hours and MUCH less stress. Actually enjoy it --- at least for now.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am in the exact position as you, 3 kids under 18, 40x, wall street career, about the same age. I made the transition to part time last summer to ease into it. I am the only one in the dept to do this, so it was new for the firm, but worked with my boss and HR to restructure pay and performance metrics to make it happen. If this is possible to do with your firm and job you may want to try that to ease into the transition. Spending a lot more time on my personal investments and trading actually has been a lot of fun and got me back to the passion that brought me to the industry in the first place. When I was full time I just did not have the time for that and punted to just ETFs instead of stock picking. Its been a lot of fun, plus great spending more family time.
wrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
FI is only one part of successful retirement........................................ .

Disclaimer- I failed at my 1st attempt at retirement from a hi-stress/hi pay position. After a few months I took a consulting gig, albeit with fewer hours and MUCH less stress. Actually enjoy it --- at least for now.
I wouldn't call that a failure in any respect
Old 05-30-2015, 06:09 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Some very good points made here, I'm same as you but aged 52 and I certainly don't have the money that you have. I have enough to live the same way and go abroad 4/5 times a year. I hate my job but carry on with it to appease wife and family. I would also be retiring to a life of pleasure which makes me feel guilty. I'm used to working, part time would be a gentle progression for me even though I don't need the money.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that the kids could have seen first hand what financial success really means when dad doesn't have to work anymore while the parents of their friends are still working.
The problem is that the kids - like the vast majority of adults - wouldn't recognize the hard work that it took to FIRE. All they would see was dad bumming around around the house and learn very little from such anecdotal evidence. OTOH, if dad FIRE'd from a salaried position and started his own company with a home office, that would be a different story.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:20 AM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

A couple concerns
The long term financial strength of what you have now. If you live to 85 that's 40 years of retirement. Now if that financial number works and I mean really works for you long term then my next concern would be what are you going to do with all the spare time. I retired last September at age 56. I worked 31 years in a stressful career and when I knew it was time to retire I still fought with myself over staying. Just before I was to retire I was offered a VP position in another lucrative business. My Wife and I decided to just retire and see how things felt not working. Its now been 9 months and at the beginning I was lost. Now I am comfortable and have completely relaxed. Wife and I now travel the country in our Motor Coach. Anyway I tell you this because having some purpose is important to managing you're time. You can't golf every day and even if you could would you. Maybe consider a 3 -4 month break and see if it fits. Hope it all works out.
LVMUS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
I wouldn't call that a failure in any respect
Should have added that my 'failure' is mission creep back towards FT hours, trouble vacation scheduling, etc. But gig does allow me access to MUCH better HI than ACA Exchange Plans in my region (all very narrow networks).
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sometimes when you're in the midst of a very intense work situation, you really can't see what the alternatives are. You're so caught up in meeting the next deadline, and the next objective, that it's hard to sit back and take a clear look at your situation and what you want.

It sounds like an ideal situation would be to transition to something, but not something that leaves you so stressed. The hard part is finding something that gives you the same level of independence and control that is less stressful or time consuming. But sometimes you need some distance to really have a clear head and heart to think about what you really want.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
Sometimes when you're in the midst of a very intense work situation, you really can't see what the alternatives are. You're so caught up in meeting the next deadline, and the next objective, that it's hard to sit back and take a clear look at your situation and what you want.
Reminded me of this post from a few years ago:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ork-42328.html
Old 06-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #31

Welcome a-board! Think of it this way, pulling the trigger is slow squeeze. You'll get there!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for all your thoughts! When I said "retire" I meant leave my job for a new challenge - either spend my time volunteering, or switch to a job that I love or start my own business. I am a type A person so sitting on the couch will turn me "slap ass crazy"......I achieved my goals that I set when I was 22 - I am now financially independent and am ready for something new. I want to show my children that you can achieve your dreams - and I want to spend time with them before they no longer need me. Looking forward to the off ramp!
OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Having stopped work a couple of months ago I have yet to find a day where I would say I was bored...rather I would have more than likely been bored a few days at work because I didn't want to be there and could think of better things to do.

IF you cannot think of anything better to do than work you are not necessarily type A. I never understood OMY if there was more than enough $$ to leave. I guess CEO and such use the $$ to keep score but having the most money isn't necessarily a way to win the game either. Being FI you can go and do those things you mention above without worrying about the money for your lifestyle or your children's

The off ramp is a great place. Do it
Old 06-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

While we plan for long lives in modelling our retirement finances, we really don't know what will happen. Of the five people I know that passed away in the past couple years four were under 55. I don't plan to work another day past FI. Well FI + 20%.
liveanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Hi - I am financially ready but can't pull the trigger
Old 06-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #35
gone traveling

Hi - I am financially ready but can't pull the trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
Having stopped work a couple of months ago I have yet to find a day where I would say I was bored...rather I would have more than likely been bored a few days at work because I didn't want to be there and could think of better things to do.

IF you cannot think of anything better to do than work you are not necessarily type A. I never understood OMY if there was more than enough $$ to leave. I guess CEO and such use the $$ to keep score but having the most money isn't necessarily a way to win the game either. Being FI you can go and do those things you mention above without worrying about the money for your lifestyle or your children's

The off ramp is a great place. Do it

+1.

I thought I would be like you and I fired in March @45 ! But within a few weeks i jumped right into something to keep me busy / related that starts in the fall but is totally unpaid.

But I am now having buyers remorse of sorts. I should not have jumped so quickly as the decompression stage (I am learning) takes months and is like peeling an onion. I am definitely a different person now.

So... When you do pull the plug give yourself 6-12 months to really decompress and evaluate options.

I love waking up and not feeling the need to dive for the phone/email first thing after opening my eyes.

Nice to be a real human being again !
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBeach View Post
When I said "retire" I meant leave my job for a new challenge - either spend my time volunteering, or switch to a job that I love or start my own business. I am a type A person so sitting on the couch will turn me "slap ass crazy"......I achieved my goals that I set when I was 22 - I am now financially independent and am ready for something new. I want to show my children that you can achieve your dreams
What are those dreams? Based on the limited information provided, you could certainly stop working but it doesn't appear that you have any real idea of what should follow: so it's not surprising that you haven't left your current job.

In the immortal words of Lewis Carroll:
Quote:
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.
“I don’t much care where–” said Alice.
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.
“–so long as I get SOMEWHERE,” Alice added as an explanation.
“Oh, you’re sure to do that,” said the Cat, “if you only walk long enough.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post
45 is too young to retire.
While everyone is entitled to their personal opinion, I do wish people would refrain from making categorical/judgmental statements like this.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #37

Dude, you're not on the beach...you're ON THE FENCE.

With 40x assets vs. expenses, you already are working two jobs, not one.

You got the power man, time to do what you want to do. Don't be a chicken!