Hi, I am... not lurking anymore.

GrnMtnGirl

Confused about dryer sheets
Thanks to everyone who posts here regularly with humor, information, and support for others who want to F.I.R.E.

My first experience coming to know the acronym was on the Motley Fool boards in college, over 15 years ago. Yikes, that makes 35 sound old but I know we're still very young (esp my husband who is several years younger) and while I don't see us retiring by 40 I am holding out for 45.

Current assets:
house- 200k+ (remaining mortgage 30k- payoff date in 2 yrs)
403b-195k
ROTHs-120k
1 car- 15k
stuff (jewelry, electronics, crap we could pawn)- 2-3k

asset allocation 90% stocks/10% bonds with about 15-20 in international and I've been slowly increasing that since it had fallen to 10% last year (unintentionally)

we earn 90k/yr (combined) and spend about 40k/yr
no kids, no plans for kids yet but we may choose to adopt later on

I think we're seeking to have about a million dollars in retirement assets before we pre-retire (stop saving with plans to let the nest egg grow while we go take lesser earning jobs that allow us more freedom to travel and play but cover our basic expenses). In the meantime we use our employer for a paycheck, additional college education (they cover most of it), and expensive stuff like cruises and vacations that we enjoy several times each year. Plus we don't plan to do anything crazy until our dog dies because he likes living here and we've grown quite fond of him over the past 5 years.

Some days I don't think I can hold out 10 more years to quit this job but most days I don't mind it too much and I'm sure it's making me a better person and giving me life satisfaction. That's probably more than enough info for now. I welcome any advice about finding the balance between saving and spending during one's working years. We are not yet able to max both ROTHs and 403bs due to financial constraints of the mortgage. And we like spending our free money on education and travel so we don't want to cut those back yet.

Thanks for being here...
GMG

Good for you for finding the early retirement board on the Motley Fool when you were in college!!!! I used to follow that board too, but I was well into my career by then.

You have a great future a head of you. Congratulations, you sound like one sharp cookie!

Welcome. It sounds like you are on track to a solid retirement at 45!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom