Hi, I am retired at 50 from Seattle.

Wanted to update. DH is retiring Feb. 3, 2015. 2 more days to go. It took him awhile but finally saw the light. After retiring we are going on a retirement trip in our RV. So excited. We have to wait to make sure we get our new insurance cards with Cobra in the mail. His thoughts are he is "semi-retiring" and going to look for something part time or start a business when we get back from our "no time line" trip.

Congratulations! We took a two month RV trip this past summer during my sabbatical. We had a great time and saw so much of the the USA and Canada. You will have a blast.

Congratulations! We took a two month RV trip this past summer during my sabbatical. We had a great time and saw so much of the the USA and Canada. You will have a blast.

Where did you go on your trip? We hope we will have a great time. Never had the time to "take time" until early RE.

Where did you go on your trip? We hope we will have a great time. Never had the time to "take time" until early RE.

We traveled from coast to coast and up into Canada twice. Here's a list of some of the places we visited:

Cape Cod and Boston, MA
Lake George and Lake Placid, NY
Quebec City and Montreal
Canton, OH
St Louis and Branson, MO
Route 66 sights on way to Flagstaff to see Grand Canyon and Sedonna
Vegas and Hoover Dam
Reagan Presidential Library near LA
Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks
Napa Valley / San Francisco
Northern CA coast to see Redwood trees
The Columbia River Gorge
Banff National Park and Calgary
Mackinaw Island and other costal towns in MI
Fallingwater

10,700 miles of relaxation and fun in the motorhome....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just ask him, how many people he knows in their dying bed wishing that they have another day in the office:confused: To my knowledge, the answer is ZERO.
Death bed confession:
Oh, how I wish I would have spent more time at Megacorp. Really miss those TPS reports and corporate politics. gasp, gurgle.. :LOL:

We traveled from coast to coast and up into Canada twice. Here's a list of some of the places we visited:

Cape Cod and Boston, MA
Lake George and Lake Placid, NY
Quebec City and Montreal
Canton, OH
St Louis and Branson, MO
Route 66 sights on way to Flagstaff to see Grand Canyon and Sedonna
Vegas and Hoover Dam
Reagan Presidential Library near LA
Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks
Napa Valley / San Francisco
Northern CA coast to see Redwood trees
The Columbia River Gorge
Banff National Park and Calgary
Mackinaw Island and other costal towns in MI
Fallingwater

10,700 miles of relaxation and fun in the motorhome....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

KMyer, thanks for your response. Think I will print your list and use some of these places to go to when we leave!

Update 10 years since I posted. DH retired in Feb. 2015. We started our "retirement trip" and it turned into a trip to see my mom who at the time was diagnosed with cancer. I was very fortunate to be able to spend 3 months with her since we had retired.

Since DH retired we have made 5 trips back and forth to the South and back home to WA state in our RV. We have seen all but one state (Arkansas). We have traveled and seen most sites across this great nation. On our 40th we thought ok, now we will go to Europe. Took a Transatlantic cruise to Europe. (Won't do that again - had swells of 18 feet and Norovirus. They closed all doors to the outside for 4 days because of the swells and high winds.) We flew home! Much better.

Four days before the lockdowns we bought a little house on a lake and love it so far. Our RV has sat silently in the driveway because we use to travel and always wanted to camp at water sites. Now we haven't used our RV since we purchased this house on the lake.

Long story short, DH hasn't gone back once to the job. Doesn't keep in touch with old workers. He is finally enjoying life as a retired person. Life couldn't get much better.

Our plan of 30 years of working is going along just fine. We have the same amount $ when we retired meaning we have spent what we wanted when we wanted and are living the dream. We have been able to do most everything we want and pay cash for everything. We have been so blessed and are living life to the fullest.

Congratulations on your retirement! It sounds like you and DH made some great travel memories. Also, perfect timing on the purchase of your lake home.
Looking forward to more of your posts.

Appreciate the update and glad things have went so well.

Thanks so much for the update. Love reading how retirement is going for others.

My favorite retirement comic that I got from this site years ago:

Attachments

• Time > money.gif
    Time > money.gif
    60 KB · Views: 139
The truth of the cartoon I posted earlier hit me in my mid 50's. In a period of five years I lost several loved relatives and five of my very best friends, all to various diseases of one sort or another.

I started traveling internationally and nationally. One trip a year in the USA and another trip to Europe. I've seen countries from Jolly Olde England to some very different places such as Bulgaria and Turkey. I hit national parks in the West that I had wanted to visit for years, but never did. I traveled a bit through the South and discovered the wonders of Waffle House.

Oh, I also fixed up my home, modernizing it a bit, devoted a huge amount of time to helping my daughter and new grandchild get educated and established in a new area with more opportunity, and (being single) had a lot of fun times with some very nice ladies.

Last edited:
The truth of the cartoon I posted earlier hit me in my mid 50's. In a period of five years I lost several loved relatives and five of my very best friends, all to various diseases of one sort or another.

I started traveling internationally and nationally. One trip a year in the USA and another trip to Europe. I've seen countries from Jolly Olde England to some very different places such as Bulgaria and Turkey. I hit national parks in the West that I had wanted to visit for years, but never did. I traveled a bit through the South and discovered the wonders of Waffle House.

Oh, I also fixed up my home, modernizing it a bit, devoted a huge amount of time to helping my daughter and new grandchild get educated and established in a new area with more opportunity, and (being single) had a lot of fun times with some very nice ladies.

Did you just look at what money you had to determine when to retire and not what money you could gain if you continued working?
In other words, you looked at your present situation and said yes this will be enough?

Back
Top Bottom