Join Early Retirement Today

Hi i am Ryan
Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi i am Ryan

I am Ryan, 33 year old married to the women of my dreams ( seriously) with two smallnboys.

I am heavily invested in real estate and hard money loans, so I would Love to talk real estate or investing capital if anyone has need or interest.

Currently working getting out of the rat race this next year. So my plan is early retirement by 35, to do this I need your support and ideas.

Thanks so much for your willingness to share

What else do you want to know about me? This is the first forum I have ever posted on...
Wrirya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How many women? LOL...jk.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

One is more than enough, I think we just got the balance right 3 boys 1 girl
Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Administrator

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum. Lots of past threads about frugal living if you search the archives, and members will share their experience too. Early retirement with 4 young children is unusual. What do you plan to do when you retire?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you have buy and hold properties as well, or all HMLs?

I assume by early retirement you mean retirement from a job, to semi-retirement real estate investments (landlording or looking for new HMLs, etc.). Or do you plan to exit real estate to a more passive investment?

I have real estate myself (not retired yet) as do several others on the forum. Lots of people here are negative about it due to the fact that it does require some work, so they don't consider one who ha real estate to be retired, for the most part.

Still, there are a few of us around here who enjoy RE.

Welcome!
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum. Lots of past threads about frugal living if you search the archives, and members will share their experience too. Early retirement with 4 young children is unusual. What do you plan to do when you retire?
Just 2 kids. The other boy/ girl in the post above yours is mom & dad.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Just 2 kids. The other boy/ girl in the post above yours is mom & dad.
Thanks for the correction. That's what happens when you post before finishing morning coffee. I think 34 is young to retire under any circumstances...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #8

Wow, 36 and about to retire! I had barely started the work journey at your age. But if you manage enough real estate to raise your family, you'll stay busy. Welcome.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
Travel, buy a sail boat. Spend time at my second home. You name it. I am pretty close, I need to get my house paid off and sell a few properties and I will be there. I think three years more. And I will do some work as well on the side. I reallly want to watch my kids grow up and be a part of their life
Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy

I assume by early retirement you mean retirement from a job, to semi-retirement real estate investments (landlording or looking for new HMLs, etc.). Or do you plan to exit real estate to a more passive investment?

I have real estate myself (not retired yet) as do several others on the forum. Lots of people here are negative about it due to the fact that it does require some work, so they don't consider one who ha real estate to be retired, for the most part.

Still, there are a few of us around here who enjoy RE.

Welcome!
So I own 30 rentals homes, loan my own money in hard money and invest others as well in loans, we service the loans. So all of my money is in real estate or hard money loans

I have some commercial real estate so much less management their, as far as the other rentals I have gotten out of plexus and have single family homes in good neighborhoods, this has cut down a lot on management time.

I am not sure the extent of what I will do, I just want to be free to do whatever, whenever, with however

Just for the record, there is me, Taggart, talmage (3 boys) and my wife (1girl) In the house
Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Administrator

I'm still not sure what you are retiring from since you say you will be selling only a few of your 30 rental properties and probably continuing to work on the side.

Are you leaving an employer to become self-employed, with income from your rental properties and real estate investments, plus perhaps some paid work on the side?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #12

I warned you.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I'm still not sure what you are retiring from since you say you will be selling only a few of your 30 rental properties and probably continuing to work on the side.

Are you leaving an employer to become self-employed, with income from your rental properties and real estate investments, plus perhaps some paid work on the side?
Right now I run an office as well as my own investments. My thought is to do

What I want, when I want and with who I want. Right now there are alot of demands on my and I look forward to that going to zero demands at some point. Also to have all my financial repo so pitied taken care of for the rest of my life will be a very nice feeling
Old 12-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #14

Welcome, Ryan.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:

I warned you.
I don't know how many landlords & property owners we have on this forum, but you're one of three with a chip on their shoulder about being ER'd with real estate. You don't want to know how the other two are doing.

Real estate is either more work or less work than a stock portfolio. It depends on the investor, active/passive management, diversification, and the economy. There are days that I'm happy being a landlord, there are days that I wish we had a couple more rentals, and there are days that I wish I just had the equity in CDs. But we keep on landlording until we have a reason not to.

I think that you're overgeneralizing when you say that "lots of people here" are negative or that they don't consider landlords to be retired. It's like saying that stocks require the investor to take care of them, so they're not really retired. Or CDs require us to take action once in a while, so CD owners aren't really retired either.

Property is an asset class, not a lifestyle or an identity. I suggest you get over your attitude on this board, or go back and tangle some more with Mr. Money Mustache. But don't wring your hands and play the victim about being mistreated over here just because you're a property owner.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #16

Sorry Nords, didn't mean to come off that way.

Honest.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #17

To the OP, welcome to the board and hopefully you can engage in some good discussions. I am a landlord in addition to holding a full-time job as a Treasury Director at a Fortune500 company....and plan to maintain my rentals in what I call "rehirement". I only hold 2 rental houses currently, but hope to get to about 4-5 before I quit the Fortune500 gig in the next 1-3 years.

Good luck!