Join Early Retirement Today

Cancer in month #3
Old 10-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Cancer in month #3

I'm going to become a broken record but here it goes.

W Pulled the plug at 52 in May and after 11 weeks in the Pop Up we came home to a Breast Cancer diagnosis. We won't know just how serious this is until it comes off and is fully biopsied in a couple more weeks.

Be smart about a withdrawal rate but live life while you can and expect the unexpected, both financially and otherwise.

God Bless
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
I'm surprised that Firecalc says you're 100%. Yes, 4% of 5.7M is 228K but there ought to be scenarios where that fails on a $160K spend, if you dial in enough pessimism.
Firecalc tends to be quite optimistic. I'd consider getting 100% in Firecalc to be a gate to even start thinking about hanging it up. It certainly shouldn't be the deciding calculation.
Sand101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go for it. You're rich.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to be negative but I really think your bills are crazy high and you could easily retire if you addressed those issues.One simple example is your cell phone bill.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I smell a troll.
Per my post #39, I'm with you on this.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I Am He, I just sent you a PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
Per my post #39, I'm with you on this.
We agreed twice today.... amazing!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

After reassessing the post here I will say the OP is someone who is clueless about money in terms of spending.The bills that are listed are ridiculous to how a normal person spends money.No concern here and if the OP is actually real I would say read a couple books about spending and saving.Right now you are a 1 percent poster child.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #49
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
Anyone who has had the means to save 5 million lives in a HCOL area also probably has a lifestyle they enjoy and would like to continue to enjoy. It’s what’s important to them.

Our budget will be in the 120k range and there is NO way the housekeepers going at $240/ month for us. As we age that becomes especially important. His budget is fat because he can afford it. Good for you. Retire enjoy life. They say as we age the travel budget and fluff decrease I say you can and should retire ASAP.

I agree .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I agree .
Agree or disagree but the OP spends money in a way that says they should not be asking questions on a forum like this.Just my humble opinion
Old 10-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #51

Just a fun fact... I googled "how many people live to 100"

The actual number reported in the 2010 census was less than half that amount at exactly 53,364 people. What happened to all the centenarians? The population of the United States in 2010 was approximately 309 million. Thus, today only 0.0173% of Americans live to 100.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
Agree or disagree but the OP spends money in a way that says they should not be asking questions on a forum like this.Just my humble opinion
+1

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Just a fun fact... I googled "how many people live to 100"

The actual number reported in the 2010 census was less than half that amount at exactly 53,364 people. What happened to all the centenarians? The population of the United States in 2010 was approximately 309 million. Thus, today only 0.0173% of Americans live to 100.
That's not quite correct. What you have calculated is the ratio of people who are 100+ to the entire population, which is not the probability of living to 100.

The odds are much better than that.
Try this calculator at the UK office of National statistics:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nge/2017-12-01

if you are Male and 55 years old, the odds of you living to 100 are 6.3%
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
After reassessing the post here I will say the OP is someone who is clueless about money in terms of spending.The bills that are listed are ridiculous to how a normal person spends money.No concern here and if the OP is actually real I would say read a couple books about spending and saving.Right now you are a 1 percent poster child.
Sounds like sour grapes to me. He's saved over $5 million while still in his 50s. Whether you, almighty, deem his bills to be ridiculous or not, he has saved enough to support his estimated (maybe current?) spending. When I retire, I only hope that I can afford to spend more than "how a normal person spends money." Who wants to spend a normal amount of money in retirement? Really. I definitely want to be in a position to spend an abnormal amount of money in retirement, which it appears the OP is able to do.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Doesn't seem out of line with high income posters (doctor, lawyer, etc.) over on bogleheads forums...over there there are plenty of posters claiming household incomes $300k-$500k...and their expenses are high as well.

With ~$6 million saved spending $160,000/year after-tax should be fine, even if most here at ER.org would never spend that much.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought this was the early retirement forum. Open to everyone. Not the Lean Fire Retirement Forum.

The OP may be a one time poster, troll, or whatever but what’s sad is that clearly some on this forum don’t play well in the sandbox with children who have more toys than they do.

To amass 5.7 million the OP obviously saved and LBYM.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought this was the early retirement forum. Open to everyone. Not the Lean Fire Retirement Forum.

The OP may be a one time poster, troll, or whatever but what’s sad is that clearly some on this forum don’t play well in the sandbox with children who have more toys than they do.

+1
Not rampant, but sometimes there can be an underlying jealousy of sorts of larger expense spending.
There are at least a few 10mm+ NW folks on this site who don't post frequently.
If we had ~6mm plus 2 SS checks, I could see budgeting and yes spending 200k.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #58

Quote:

I don't have a problem with someone having more than us. I do have a problem with someone wasting my time. I was the first to respond to OP. My post was sincere. I spent some time on it. At that point, I wasn't thinking the OP was messing with anyone. I only seriously considered that to be the case after others mentioned the possibility, and I saw that OP hasn't checked back in since 10 mins. after starting this topic.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
+1
Not rampant, but sometimes there can be an underlying jealousy of sorts of larger expense spending.
There are at least a few 10mm+ NW folks on this site who don't post frequently.
If we had ~6mm plus 2 SS checks, I could see budgeting and yes spending 200k.
+1 as well. Ive been spending more than OP but routinely keep an eye on my investments verses spend rate. I got grief from many posters over my spending and called out as a troll as well. I think OP should feel very good about his accumulation of assets and his budget (while maybe high to some) can support his retirement. OP knows he has enough but just needs encouragement (I needed the same 2 years ago even though I knew I had the $ and tools to make it work). Enjoy your well earned retirement!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-NoGo View Post
That's not quite correct. What you have calculated is the ratio of people who are 100+ to the entire population, which is not the probability of living to 100.

The odds are much better than that.
Try this calculator at the UK office of National statistics:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nge/2017-12-01

if you are Male and 55 years old, the odds of you living to 100 are 6.3%
Last part is consistent with this calculator: https://www.longevityillustrator.org/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ready 2020