Join Early Retirement Today

Hi I'm 23 in the Military and have MS!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi I'm 23 in the Military and have MS!

Hi my name is Travis im 23 years old and currently on Active Duty in the Army. I am here to try and find some awnsers about Multiple Sclerosis and if anyone has information on What the military will do for me. I have heard Medical Retirement thrown out there but I need more sources. Im just starting the process of getting diagnosed for sure but its about 90% right now. I know the one thing i have going for me is that i found out while im on active duty. If you have any information for me or know a way i can get information feel free to let me know. I hope to learn alot on here and also talk with others.
DrumDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DrumDeuce, here is some information on military medical retirement one of our retired military members compiled. Hope it helps.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-38338.html
Old 02-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey Travis,

Welcome to the board and best of luck!

I wrote this last year.

I have a buddy in the AF with 15 yrs in that was diagnosed with MS. He went to a medical review board and they talked about retiring him. He really wants to stay til 20. In addition to the normal package he wrote a letter to the board with his OPRs and his last 3 PT scores. Basically said Yes I have this, we just found out, we are treating it, performance still meets standards, so let me stay a little longer as I can still contribute and you have invested a lot of money into me. If it gets worse we will go this route again and revisit.

AF said makes sense to us, but you are now non worldwide qualified for deployment. He has a staff job and doing fine.

Update: He is doing well and still getting treated. He is getting ready to PCS to an instructor job. If you are interested I can get you hooked up with him via email.

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are some new MS meds that are making a real difference. We had a friend who lived 25+ years with this condition, maybe your illness can be managed.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My friend with MS is one of the hardest workers I know. Sure she has some bad days but I didn't know she had the condition until she told me. she is 40 now. She's had the condition for some time now. It is a curious disease. It affects a proportionally high percentage of people from Canada and Northeran Europe, mostly women. CTV.ca | MS diagnosis rate soaring for Canadian women
I'm sorry you're one of the unlucky ones to get the diagnosis, but it seems that there is a lot of positive research and treatment for MS. Good luck.
Frugalityisthenewblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military, multiple sclerosis