Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

HI DesiGirl,

I have actually factored in the school fees( Rs 3000 in a CBSE Convent institution) based on actuals along with other expenses based on reality checks during our annual visits there.

I have a detailed Excel Sheet in which I have tried to capture every small expense. The only thing that I have not included is a driver's salary which I guess we will not employ there. We currently do have a driver for the last many years here but this I guess is a luxury which we will give up when we return.

I would love to know about your expense data using money s/w? Would it be ok to share it?

FIREINDUS, the purpose of the property investment is to hedge inflation after a decade or so. The rentals are incidental.

Regards,
mangylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll share some data Mangylore :

* Grocery and general expenses are in the range of 10K. Very high inflation , doubled in 5 years.
* Maid is 3K
* Bill including cell phone, internet , electricity, cooking gas etc. could easily go upto 5-7K .
* petrol woulld be 3-5K . + Maintenance of vehicle and extra transportation cost.
* Kids fees including bus fee (+ annual books, uniform, shoes etc.) are 15K per month. BTW inflation here has been 15-20% per annum. It started at 8-9K per annum for us. Also different coachings, extra curricular, overhead expenses would grow with kid.
* Home maintenance payment (to flat society) would depend as well as entertainment , eatout, gifts, festivals etc. .
* Vacations would depend on taste and pocket but I would easily put 1L + per annum. Clothing would cost 30-60K per annum for decent stuff.
* Now Car Insurance, Life Insurance, Health Insurance, Medical expenses , water filter maintenance , Beauty/hair cut/grooming services for family etc. .
* With this long retirement u even have to keep provision for home maintenance (paintiing, furniture, appliances, car replacement etc.)

So my broad take is 45K per month would work regularly probably (depending on life-style) but may not cover irregular expenses, vacations etc. . Also inflation has to be provided at the range of 6-8% atleast. For example when we came milk was Rs.26 per litre, now it is Rs.40 so some expenses jump like crazy. Also

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

-desiGirl
DesiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks Desigirl and Manglore for the responses.

Looking for a route to generate passive stable income that will support this 60000 Rs per month.
Bank interest, inflation is a high risk.
Indian equity and US taxes, not sure if it is the right equation.
Rental income, there is always the argument that land (in a safe neighborhood) appreciates much more than an apartment.
Hence, with above thought process, now asset allocation is skewed with real estate.
Lets see...
FIREINDUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

I lived in India for a while and I must say the pace really is mind boggling compared to parts of Europe where I come from. You've set yourself up a goal and I guess the deadline is good enough a reason for you to get started. Good luck.

And consider this an even better luck as this happens to be my first post on this site
keeleyxt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, hi i am..., hope, india