Hi I'm going for the bird in the hand

Takeoffsequallandings

Confused about dryer sheets
I am taking early retirement from my airline at age 57.

A couple of wrinkles, how bad is the penalty before age 59.5,

I am currently on medical but am not taking the airline medical pay, because I have to retire to secure my lump sum distribution (plan is severely underfunded).

I have some debts to pay off from the lump, I know I will take a hit tax wise.

I'm taking the bird in the hand, how best to handle it?:greetings10:

Welcome to the forum. I don't know right off if we have any retired pilots, but it is always a good idea to check with a CPA before you make some of these decisions.

Good luck!

I believe you can roll over your lump sum into an IRA. Then take out only the amount you need to pay your debt service.

You might have a loophole in starting withdrawals early because of your medical disability.

or... you may be able to roll over into an IRA and begin a 72t to withdraw without incurring tax penalty.

If you can access under disability that is best because that eliminates the 10% early penalty. I have heard that the IRS is not quite as picky as SS Disability. If you have a 401K, that can be accessed without penalty as long as you leave it at the company since you are severing after age 55. The 72T from a lumpsum rollover of pension to an IRA will also work to eliminate the 10% penalty. It can be great but it MUST run for a minimum of 5 years and past the age of 59 and 1/2.

Also, welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Welcome TO=L! We have some pretty smart folks here and if they don't have an answer, they know where to get it.

We have a pretty good search function here (use the bottom Google search box), so you take advantage of past wisdom there and in the Early Retirement FAQs on common topics

I know for a fact that you can take structured monthly distributions prior to age 59 1/2 and not trigger the early withdrawal penalty. You should be able to find something regarding this on the IRS.gov website. I think a lump sum distribution would be the only thing to set off the penalty. Check it with a tax expert.

Back
Top Bottom