Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, Im Mark....
Old 01-30-2005, 06:03 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi, Im Mark....

Found this board a few days ago and found that it has some very useful info. I am 50, single and plan to retire in early 2007. Looking forward to plenty of golf but may work a little part time if I do get bored.(can't visualize that tho) I live in Mississippi, no debt, expenses low, health ins and long term care ins in place, and have a divisified portfolio(mutual funds, cd's and *t-bills) Total investments in the 850k neighborhood and should total over 1 mil at retirement. I've run every retirement calculator I know to run and feel confident I have enough for the long haul. Will inherit some additional money in a few years.

I feel secure, but like most retiring early I am somewhat nervous about the unknown. Any advice from you early retirees? Thanking you in advance for your comments.
MSDOGS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hi, Im Mark....
Old 01-30-2005, 06:13 AM   #2

You are worrying needlessly. BTW, unless Mississippi
is an RV I have not heard of, don't your fingers get awfully pruny?

JG
Old 01-30-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Mark,

I see you have already met John Gault, the board's version of a Walmart greeter with an attitude. Although his politics are slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun, JG does at least have a sense of humor.

As to being "somewhat nervous about the unknown" even though you've run every retirement calculator you can get your hands on, you are in good company. But this rather strange and often dysfunctional group of posters will provide you with a lot of information, moral (and occasionally immoral) support and even more entertainment. Granted, you will have to wade through a buch of horse puckey to get to what you are looking for sometimes, but keep the faith...there really is a pony in there somewhere.

Best of luck.

REW
88 days to retirement and counting.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:50 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome. Now we have at least two members from MS. I am a GADOG married to a MSDOG (no pun). Looking for part time retirement starting this fall and full time in 06. Too cold and wet for golf today. Maybe next week.
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for your comments Mr Galt...I made the correction to my post. No pruny fingers here. How about u and your fingers?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks for your comments Mr Galt...I made the correction to my post. No pruny fingers here. How about u and your fingers?
Ahh, John Galt's fingers are in the government's pocket even though he spends his time wishing for the feeling of being a "real" man with no government around to "oppress" him. Perhaps as something like one of the motorcycle gang members in Mad Max or as a south seas pirate. Pretty much like all the objectivists.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks ex-Jarhead. I do have the passion for golf as you do. Started playing when I was 13 and played on the high school team. My handicap is about a 10 right now but think I will be able to get my short game in much better shape when I do retire and lower my h-cap 2-3 strokes. BTW, I'm headed to the Masters this year as I had my name drawn for the practice rounds. Been once before and it is an awesome place. Again, thanks for the kind words. *
Old 02-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on getting drawn for the Masters practice round. I used to go when I lived in GA and my uncle had ticktes. He's passed on now and we did the honorable thing and gave them up. I have not been lucky to get the practice round tickets, though I may go through business connections. Where do you play in Meridian? I have played Briarwood a couple of times, once in a tournament. A nice course.
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Congrats on getting drawn for the Masters practice round. I used to go when I lived in GA and my uncle had ticktes. He's passed on now and we did the honorable thing and gave them up. I have not been lucky to get the practice round tickets, though I may go through business connections. Where do you play in Meridian? I have played Briarwood a couple of times, once in a tournament. A nice course.
Small world, Briarwood is my home club. It's not Pebble Beach, but it is nice for the money we pay. *