Hi, Im Mark....

MSDOGS1976

Dryer sheet wannabe
Found this board a few days ago and found that it has some very useful info. I am 50, single and plan to retire in early 2007. Looking forward to plenty of golf but may work a little part time if I do get bored.(can't visualize that tho) I live in Mississippi, no debt, expenses low, health ins and long term care ins in place, and have a divisified portfolio(mutual funds, cd's and  t-bills) Total investments in the 850k neighborhood and should total over 1 mil at retirement. I've run every retirement calculator I know to run and feel confident I have enough for the long haul. Will inherit some additional money in a few years.

I feel secure, but like most retiring early I am somewhat nervous about the unknown. Any advice from you early retirees? Thanking you in advance for your comments. :)

You are worrying needlessly. BTW, unless Mississippi
is an RV I have not heard of, don't your fingers get awfully pruny? :)

JG

Mark,

I see you have already met John Gault, the board's version of a Walmart greeter with an attitude. Although his politics are slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun, JG does at least have a sense of humor.

As to being "somewhat nervous about the unknown" even though you've run every retirement calculator you can get your hands on, you are in good company. But this rather strange and often dysfunctional group of posters will provide you with a lot of information, moral (and occasionally immoral) support and even more entertainment. Granted, you will have to wade through a buch of horse puckey to get to what you are looking for sometimes, but keep the faith...there really is a pony in there somewhere. ;)

Best of luck.

REW
88 days to retirement and counting.

Welcome. Now we have at least two members from MS. I am a GADOG married to a MSDOG (no pun). Looking for part time retirement starting this fall and full time in 06. Too cold and wet for golf today. Maybe next week.

Thanks for your comments Mr Galt...I made the correction to my post. No pruny fingers here. How about u and your fingers?

Thanks for your comments Mr Galt...I made the correction to my post. No pruny fingers here. How about u and your fingers?

Ahh, John Galt's fingers are in the government's pocket even though he spends his time wishing for the feeling of being a "real" man with no government around to "oppress" him. Perhaps as something like one of the motorcycle gang members in Mad Max or as a south seas pirate. Pretty much like all the objectivists.

Thanks ex-Jarhead. I do have the passion for golf as you do. Started playing when I was 13 and played on the high school team. My handicap is about a 10 right now but think I will be able to get my short game in much better shape when I do retire and lower my h-cap 2-3 strokes. BTW, I'm headed to the Masters this year as I had my name drawn for the practice rounds. Been once before and it is an awesome place. Again, thanks for the kind words.  :)

Congrats on getting drawn for the Masters practice round. I used to go when I lived in GA and my uncle had ticktes. He's passed on now and we did the honorable thing and gave them up. I have not been lucky to get the practice round tickets, though I may go through business connections. Where do you play in Meridian? I have played Briarwood a couple of times, once in a tournament. A nice course.

Congrats on getting drawn for the Masters practice round. I used to go when I lived in GA and my uncle had ticktes. He's passed on now and we did the honorable thing and gave them up. I have not been lucky to get the practice round tickets, though I may go through business connections. Where do you play in Meridian? I have played Briarwood a couple of times, once in a tournament. A nice course.

Small world, Briarwood is my home club. It's not Pebble Beach, but it is nice for the money we pay.  :)

Back
Top Bottom