Join Early Retirement Today

Hi i'm Mike and almost retired
Old 09-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi i'm Mike and almost retired

Hi I'm Mike, planning retirement soon, have savings in place and some investments. However, I would like to make some part-time money or at least using my experience in something useful to others.

I worked with the Oil & Gas industry almost my whole career, in the engineering and automation to be exact.

I saw this forum and seems very interesting so its time i should sign up !!
over50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, Mike. My wife and I have been semi-retired for 3 years, and have a very part time business. Personally, I like the balance of a little extra cash, but the flexibility of only working when we want. It also keeps me off the streets...

We are able to shut down the business and travel for a week or two without problems. Nice gig.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #3

Welcome Mike. I don't see a question in your post. Lots of great info on this site. Have you tracked your expenses for at least the past year? Have you fun your numbers thru FIRECalc? Link at the bottom of the page.

Good luck.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am strongly considering that when I RE in 6 mo I will try to make a few bucks from my photography hobby.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #5

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Working a little part-time, or volunteering to help out, is fine if you want. The extra cash can be some nice fun money to blow on stuff above your normal budget.

I have said many times, you may have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to. In your case that may include some work-type activity on a part-time basis.

Stick around, read a bunch, and i am sure you will become much better educated on financial smarts and having a successful retirement plan.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to another Canadian. Just be aware that a lot of the financial discussions here are US focused. Living in Toronto, if you own your home, you have an asset that could be monetized if you are prepared to move to a lower cost of living area. Is that a consideration for you?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #7

Welcome, Mike! If you haven't seen them yet, there are two excellent resources here that might be useful as you're preparing for your last day in the office:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html

and

Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Look forward to hearing more from you!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome. Feel free to post specific questions if you have them or else just hang out and I'm sure you'll pick up some useful info (or at least I know I did).
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Hey welcome to the club and stay the course. The world is agianst you but we are not!

Being retired for 14 years and having worked on Toronto for 14 years, I can help.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Welcome to another Canadian. Just be aware that a lot of the financial discussions here are US focused. Living in Toronto, if you own your home, you have an asset that could be monetized if you are prepared to move to a lower cost of living area. Is that a consideration for you?
Yes i do know that. At the moment i do have enough real estate to keep me in place. I might move to the US or maybe even Europe.

Lets see what will happen.

Thanks to everyone for their welcoming messages
Old 10-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

Mike,

Is there much of a craft brewing scene up in Toronto? If it exists and you like that industry, perhaps you could put your automation experience to work for a small brewery...

I have a buddy who spent a career in accounting/management for the commercial property industry. His friends in a growing brewery finally made him an offer he couldn't refuse and he seems to be enjoying his encore career in an entirely new back office.

Welcome!

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We semi-retired 4 years ago and love the balance. For us it is perfect. I work from home online so I don't have to go anywhere and can do it anywhere that has internet access.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Mike,

Is there much of a craft brewing scene up in Toronto? If it exists and you like that industry, perhaps you could put your automation experience to work for a small brewery...

I have a buddy who spent a career in accounting/management for the commercial property industry. His friends in a growing brewery finally made him an offer he couldn't refuse and he seems to be enjoying his encore career in an entirely new back office.

Welcome!

-gauss
Well that is an option, however I'm targeting more online consultancy or limited contracts in the automation or Oil and Gas. That way i would work much less frequent over the year and still earn doing something I'm very good at.
I am currently looking at some websites to use for finding such jobs, have a couple at the moment will let you know if they are any good.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #14

Welcome aboard Mike.