Hi -- I'm NEW & Trying to Plan for Retirment

I'm actually seeing a therapist right now, just found a great one a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping that will help with my pent up anger for him and against him.

Kudos to you for doing this..I hope it helps you.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been travelling a ton over the last 4 weeks...

We have had multiple discussions about his career. He lost his job in 2015 because the company lost a ton of money when their CEO and CFO decided to try to centralize all of their warehouses into one and did not put enough time, resources and planning into the execution and the company lost a ton of business because they could not deliver the product to their end user customer. They started mass layoffs with the CEO and the CFO being their first 2 to go.

Thankfully he has a contract position now and just interviewed for two direct hire jobs, so hopefully something pops for him.

So happy to report that the contract position he is currently in has been extended to December.

I agree you should be fine but get you expenses nailed down.

Last weekend, I created a budget for retirement. I feel real good about doing this and it gives me a clear vision as to what I need to do to hit that goal of retirement.I was able to make the budget work with SS, pension, and the 401K savings.

My company offers a free financial planner with our 401K program and he suggested that since I max out my 401K, to look at places I can start investing small amounts ($100 a month) at a place like Betterment or Charles Schwab.

Charles Schwab offers 50 Schwab mutual funds, plus nine Laudus funds, all requiring a minimum initial investment of just $100 to open a regular account, with no strings attached. The Financial Planner suggested Schwab Total Stock Market Index (symbol SWTSX).

I would love anyones thoughts on this piece of advice from him...thanks

Were you upfront about your issues with your DH to the FP?

401 is a great tool, but I think you need a little stash of ready cash in case you decide not to continue in the marriage. I understand everything is a joint asset. But having all your extra cash in the 401 won't help you if you aren't liquid enough to pay everyday bills on own for awhile. Even if you just get a little extra cash under the mattress it could help you if things change.

So my DM called me when I was about 21 and newly married and asked me to "loan" her 300 bucks so she could leave my Dad. We literally had almost nothing but I've never forgotten that my DH agreed I should send it without any hesitation. I vowed I'd never have that happen to me. Not the divorce part the having No money part.

If I were you I'd get together a sum of cash so I felt more in control of the situation.

Back
Top Bottom