Hi, I'm new here

Niko

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi everybody, I'm new here. I'm 24, just finished school, am about to start my "real" career, and am already planning my ER before 40! I've already learned a lot from these forums, but I hope to learn a lot more.

Barry,

Welcome. You have a headstart on anybody I know in acheiving FIRE. Good luck.

Hello Barry,

Welcome, from a fellow 20-something (28) ER-wannabe, who is also gunning for the pre-40 retirement date (although, that depends mostly on my unknown future spouse and what her goals/financial attitudes are).

What type of work do you do? Any significant others in the picture? I've always wondered how people have decided on when to bring up the ER idea to a potential significant other (although I expect that most people in the forum were already settled down before the ER enlightenment struck them).

Welcome, from a stodgy old-timer 30 year old! When I was 24 I was just graduated, getting married, and about 60k in debt. I thought I would work until I was 67, since that's when I could get SS. While we paid off the debt and started saving quickly, I didn't catch a clue until 28 that I might be able to retire sooner. My first revised goal was age 55, which quickly became 50, and now I'm hoping for 45. Have you read 4 pillars of investing? Money or your life is also recomended. Cheers!

Peter76 said:
What type of work do you do? Any significant others in the picture? I've always wondered how people have decided on when to bring up the ER idea to a potential significant other (although I expect that most people in the forum were already settled down before the ER enlightenment struck them).

If all goes well this summer (fingers crossed) I'll be a green attorney beginning in the fall. I have a girlfriend of 7 years; I've always told her, and my family, I want to retire by 40 -- I'm not sure she believes me yet!

laurencewill said:
Welcome, from a stodgy old-timer 30 year old! When I was 24 I was just graduated, getting married, and about 60k in debt. I thought I would work until I was 67, since that's when I could get SS. While we paid off the debt and started saving quickly, I didn't catch a clue until 28 that I might be able to retire sooner. My first revised goal was age 55, which quickly became 50, and now I'm hoping for 45. Have you read 4 pillars of investing? Money or your life is also recomended. Cheers!

Well, I'd be happy only to be 60K in debt! Fortunately I timed it just right, consolidating it all when rates are this low.

I've heard a lot of references to 4 pillars, but don't know anything about it. Is it -- judging fromt he title -- a book about how to invest diversified?

I'm planning on reading Money or your life soon -- it's coming in the mail right now.

Barry said:
I have a girlfriend of 7 years; I've always told her, and my family, I want to retire by 40 -- I'm not sure she believes me yet!

Any possibility she has some doubts about your willingness to make a commitment? ;)

REW

Barry...

The Four Pillars of Investing.. William Bernstein.
Great book and welcome.

REWanabe said:
Any possibility she has some doubts about your willingness to make a commitment?  ;)REW

Commitment is for wimps. Praise be to 21st Century!!
Mikey

All the best to you Barry. If you set your sights on retiring by 40, I bet you will! I just reached 43, and I think it might soon be time for me to retire from law. I didn't have the foresight to plan for it explicitly, but I kept my expenses down and that took care of a lot of it.

One thing that still makes me think a bit about retiring is all the old lawyers I know -- mostly men in their 70's and 80's -- who keep going because they enjoy it so much. There's a part of me that thinks they're on to something. I hate to admit it, but sometimes I get bored without any tough intellectual problems or challenges to find a way through, to help someone out. Just plain bored. It's not that I don't have a lot of other interests, it's that none of them make me think hard.

So anyway, we're all different.... but as you plan to retire young, which I'm sure you will, plan on finding a way to use your mind because you just might miss using it!

Just my two cents!

kate

kat said:
There's a part of me that thinks they're on to something.   I hate to admit it, but sometimes I get bored without any tough intellectual problems or challenges to find a way through, to help someone out.  Just plain bored.   kate
1. Buy the NYT crossword or a logic-puzzle workbook?

2. Pro bono on your schedule?

kat said:
I hate to admit it, but sometimes I get bored without any tough intellectual problems or challenges to find a way through, to help someone out. Just plain bored. It's not that I don't have a lot of other interests, it's that none of them make me think hard.

kate,

Don't think you need to hate to admit needing a challenge. It would seem there would be all sorts of opportunities to do some pro bono to benefit the elderly, less fortunate, etc. Yes, that sounds like work, but not sure how you can challenge yourself otherwise. (Hmmm...is work done as an unpaid volunteer really "work"?)

REW

We're thinking along the same lines here! I am already doing quite a bit of pro bono law work and that's been in my long terms plans for awhile. Last year I went to East Africa to meet and learn about refugees and internally displaced people in the UN camps and in the slums of Nairobi. I'll be going to Haiti soon. I plan to volunteer with a relief organization in the future. As for all the other needs closer to home, I'll keep helping when I can. Quite a bit of it just involves making phone calls or writing a couple letters.... But, to be honest, I can already see my mental laziness, as compared to past years. It's going to be a challenge to stay fresh!

kat said:
We're thinking along the same lines here! I am already doing quite a bit of pro bono law work and that's been in my long terms plans for awhile. Last year I went to East Africa to meet and learn about refugees and internally displaced people in the UN camps and in the slums of Nairobi. I'll be going to Haiti soon. I plan to volunteer with a relief organization in the future. As for all the other needs closer to home, I'll keep helping when I can. Quite a bit of it just involves making phone calls or writing a couple letters.... But, to be honest, I can already see my mental laziness, as compared to past years. It's going to be a challenge to stay fresh!

kat, you rock. You and Martha (as well as my Dad) all prove that not all lawyers are bad! ;) You know, your pro bono and relief work will pay you dividends. For the rest of your life when you look in the mirror, you'll like what you see. :)

kat said:
Mephisto, you make me blush.....  :)

Mephisto, you make me flush.......(or it may have been the herring with
hot chili peppers I ate last night) :)

Goin' fishing now...........

Elvis has left the building.......................

MRGALT2U said:
hot chili peppers I ate last night) :)

Goin' fishing now...........

Elvis has left the building.......................

Hey, is Mr. Post-It taking a crack at me? :)

MRGALT2U said:
hot chili peppers I ate last night)    :)

Hey Mr., how about sharing the recipe for these?

M

Back
Top Bottom