Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, JB from Madera
Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi, JB from Madera

Hi All,
JB here. I think I am retired, but I’m not certain. Here’s a brief overview of my story:

-50, married, with one child left to send off to college (1 yr to go)
-Worked in Hi Tech and Finance for most of my career
-Laid off from my past two companies, downsizing, serious doubts I’ll be able to land another gig
-Have $900k in investments, about ½ in IRA’s, etc and 1/2 in taxable investments, no pensions, SS when 65.
-My wife moved into full time volunteer work about 1yr ago and it would take more than dynamite to get her back into the workforce!
-Have no debts, everything is paid for and the car/college/wedding funds for my daughter have been topped off.

So, my basic worry/concern is - if I can’t find another job can I make it on my investments?

My other concern is - if I’m not working then who/what am I??

Would love folks input and suggestions.

Thanks!

JB
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome

Have you tried using any calculators such as FIREcalc? (see link at bottom of page).

You'll need more information such as current and expected future expenses including health care costs before you can see if you have enough to live on for the next 40 years.

Once you determine if you do have enough to live on, or not, then you will know if you are retired or out of work looking for a job.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd say it is definitely do-able to live off $27k per year (plenty of couples do) (3% draw of 900K) But the big elephant in the room is health care -- if you don't have a solution for that, then $27K with no health ins. is doubtful to me unless your extremely lucky for 15 years.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks guys.

i have access, thru my former employer, to health insurance at a reduced cost. i'm still working with fire calc to see where i really am. i may end up going the ESR route since regaining full time employment in my field is almost impossible.

thanks again for your input!

jb
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice above--that nest egg could be more than enough or nowhere near enough, depending on your expenses, and you will have to live off it for twelve years until SS kicks in (assuming one can still take early SS in 2022) so it may also decline a little.

Having no debt makes it more likely you'll be successful--congrats on that, and welcome to the boards.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

JB:
Create a $3,000 per month retirement budget and you can retire today. As far as who and what you are if you retire? That's simple. You are a husband, father, and member of the community. Retirement is not only financial freedom, it's also freedom to be who you want to be, the freedom to follow your own path.

I think your wife has got it figured out. She is deeply involved in volunteer work, gaining more personal satisfaction than she ever did working, and maybe you should follow in her footsteps?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

great suggestion Green!

one of the women from the halfway house my wife mentors is here at our place with her kids enjoying the pool - most alive I've felt in years!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera View Post
My other concern is - if I’m not working then who/what am I??
Up near the top of the all-time great reasons this is the best Forum on the Internet is this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...red-45762.html
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote