Hi ... long time lurker ... first time poster to see if we are on track

Lucky_Luke

Confused about dryer sheets
Here are the details based on Gumby’s notes:
1. Current expense is $130k with $1500 mortgage that will be completed in 2.5 years. At retirement the projected expenses will be about $127k (taking into consideration 4% inflation from now until then, removing mortgage and other expenses).

2. For one gap year, we will be using ACA and figuring about $12k for both of us. For LTC, we are planning to self-funded, setting aside about $600k for the last person and if that is not enough the proceeds from selling our home ($500k now) may cover the remaining LTC costs.

3. The expenses that I figured are based on the detailed and tracked spreadsheet of all needs, wants, and wishful. I have also figured into the expenses all the one-time costs (at different intervals). I have been tracking our expenses for the past two years. Thus it is pretty accurate picture of our expenses. We have room to reduce if needed.

4. No major lifestyle changes

5. Sources of income:
Pension (non-cola): $70k (assuming I stayed until I retire at 65 in five years, if not, it’s $4200 at 65 if I retired or quit right now). Thus I have a pair of silver handcuffs.
Social security (his at 67): $28k (five years short of 30 to not have WEP applied)
Social security (hers at 70): $45k
Total: $143k

The pension has 100% survivor benefits for my wife if I decide to leave early. Thus, for her income when I'm gone, it'll be my pension + her ss or roughly $115k.

Vice versa, if she leaves early, it'll be my pension + my ss (since it's more than her ss survivor bene) or roughly $98k.

6. Yes, these are the projected pension/social security numbers from their respective calculators.

7. I have visited social security admin site many times and have figured WEP/GPO impacts.

8. I have done the tax projection, including RMDs at 75.

9. Nest eggs are as follows (round numbers)
His IRA/403b: $850k (tax-deferred)
His Roth: $105k (with $30k contribution for the next 5 years until retirement)
Hers IRA/401k: $745k (tax-deferred)
Hers Roth: $110k

10. Will (hopefully) take advantage of the longevity genes that we inherited (my mother passed away at 85, father (91) is still living, her mom (82) and her father (90) are still living and doing well). We will be controlling our destiny. For the various calcs, I use 88 for me and 90 for her.

11. I have run the number through FIRECalc many times among other calculators (NewRetirement+, i-ORP, Engaging Data, ********, Personal Capital, retirementbudgetcalculator, etc…)

12. If one of us is left, I shaved off about 20% off the expenses.

I am 59 and so is my wife. I'm still working, at least for another five years. The boss has retired early two years ago. We live in LCoL area and we are 2.5 years away from paying off the house. The boys are grown and off the payroll.

So when I ran FIRECalc 3.0, I’d get 100% success. NewRetirement+ had me at 76%. Our retirement income is more than enough to cover the expenses and then some, even with 4% inflation every year figured into the calculation. Assuming that there is no serious market crash right before or as I retire, I do believe that we are good on this gliding path. Also, we will be converting up to the top of our 24% bracket (if we have the money saved up) to Roth for the next several years. Btw, I also ran the numbers with the lower pension amount as well.

I figure that I could try to post here in early-retirement to see if others can see what I don’t see. Posting in other places, I’d get the name-calling … humble bragging. I’m not bragging. It is scaring me to death, wondering if we have enough to cover everything that we have not accounted for.

I appreciate another pair of eyes looking at these numbers. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome Luke.

Did I miss the joint and survivor info for your pension?

Yes, it will be 100% survivor benefits for my wife if I decide to leave early. Thus, for her income when I'm gone, it'll be my pension + her ss or roughly $115k.

Edit: Vice versa, if she leaves early, it'll be my pension + my ss (it's more than her ss survivor bene) or roughly $98k.

I'll edit the post to include this. Thank you for looking at this.

Btw, Lucky Luke is my favorite, old cartoon show on TV in the late 70s.

Last edited:
Overall, your plan sounds great. Clearly until/unless inflation eats at your pension, you won't have any portfolio draws, so your chance of success is going to be way up there. The historical times in FireCalc include some really painful and long stretches of bad market performance. The NewRetirement program sounds very pessimistic with just a 76% chance of success, that seems to be giving you unnecessary stress. I think you will be in great shape.

Since you are down to one income now, and doing Roth 403b contributions, I presume you are looking at Roth conversions starting now. That seems ideal to minimize IRMAA surcharges later. Once you are subject to IRMAA, I'm guessing it's better to drop back away from the top of the 24% bracket and just chip away at the tax deferred by converting to the top of the base IRMAA tier.

Since a fair size chunk of the benefit of Roth conversions is reducing tax drag in taxable, and your money is already stashed in tax advantaged accounts, you have less benefit of Roth conversions than some folks. Note if you end up needing long term care, the best account to pay it from is your tax deferred as long term care will mostly end up being tax deductible.

You mentioned working until 65 because of silver handcuffs but that seems different from being 59 now, working 5 more years and needing ACA for both of you for a year.

Since you have a 403b, it looks like you work for a government agency so job security is not an issue. (In the private sector companies might figure out a way to get rid of you before the pension becomes lucrative).

Does your pension include survivorship rights so your wife gets the same if you pass first?

You didn't mention your asset allocation of your portfolio. Your major risk is inflation eating at your pension, so I would not be holding much cash or nominal bonds as those have the same risk. Better to hold things with different risks. So I would have a mix of stocks to try to outgrow inflation and for the fixed income, I would have TIPS.

Here's to good health and long life!

Yes, it will be 100% survivor benefits for my wife if I decide to leave early. Thus, for her income when I'm gone, it'll be my pension + her ss or roughly $115k.

Edit: Vice versa, if she leaves early, it'll be my pension + my ss (it's more than her ss survivor bene) or roughly $98k.

I'll edit the post to include this. Thank you for looking at this.

Btw, Lucky Luke is my favorite, old cartoon show on TV in the late 70s.

I see a lot to like. Exchme mentioned asset allocation - which is a good point. If you retire sooner rather than later, you might want to have a portion in cash (equivalents) to cover unexpected expenses and/or market gyrations. Obviously, once the mortgage is paid off, you tap Medicare and if your pension is larger your fixed expenses will either be covered - or very close. But yes, you have options.

@Exchme, we are converting the tax-deferred to Roth for the last two years and will continue until probably 74 or as much as we can pay the tax in with our saved cash. Yes, I am keeping an eye on the RMD and its effect on IRMAA. I have the whole spreadsheet the movements. LOL!.

As for survivorship, I edited the post to include that info. I will elect to have 100% survivor bene.

As for asset allocation, we will be consolidating into three "buckets" (unconventional 3-bucket strategies).

Bucket 1 - my 403b/IRA will be the bucket we will dip into first if needed. Currently, it is at 75/25 allocation. I will be reallocating 2% each year for the next five years until I get it down to 65/25 plus 10% in CD and/or bond ladder. I will be increasing more Bond and/or CD ladder after retirement started.

Bucket 2 - her 401k/IRA will be the next bucket to dip into (mainly for LTC) and will remain at 75/25.

Bucket 3 - will be our Roth growth bucket and it will stay at 80/20

I'm 59 and contemplating on getting off either at 64 (when I have my points for retirement) or at 65. Hence, the two different targets. For one year, I will forgo about 6% of the pension. I'm still thinking. I have 1937 days left to contemplate.

Thanks for the well wishes and the extra pair of eyes.

Based on your post, it seems you are adjusting your annual spending upward for inflation. You MAY want to consider the Go-Go, Slow-Go, and No-go phases of retirement (look it up on Google) to retire earlier than planned and experience an actual reduction of annual spending in your 60s, 70s, and 80s.

My DW and I have been retired for 22 years and spend a lot less in our now No-go years. We both are very happy that we traveled a lot in our 50s and early 60s since our health does not allow us to travel anymore. We are in our mid-70s now and do not have the great family genes that you have for life expectancy.

If you do decide to look at the Go-go, Slow-go, and No-go retirement phase planning, remember to look around at the ages of the people you see during your daily activities and notice if you see fewer people in their 70s, fewer people in their 80s, and almost nobody in their 90s.
FYI.

From your numbers, I agree your plan to retire at 65 will be successful. In fact, if I look at Firecalc, it suggests you could spend roughly $190k in retirement (vs plan of $127k) and still have 95% success. So the only point that confuses me is why NewRetirement would calculate a success rate of 76%. That feels like a disconnect when planned income is $143k (plus you have substantial savings) and planned expenses are less at $127k. That result doesn't make any sense to me. If you have an insights as to why NewRetirement is only 76%, may be worth mentioning to us. Maybe we are missing something. -- Oh, and congrats on good retirement planning!

Based on your post, it seems you are adjusting your annual spending upward for inflation. You MAY want to consider the Go-Go, Slow-Go, and No-go phases of retirement

Excellent points. Yes, in addition to 4% inflation, I have on my spreadsheet the inclusion of x% for the three phases of retirement. If I were to graph the expenses it will resemble a smile as many experts have pointed out.

I have not found yet a calculator (NewRetirement+ is the closest) that I can simulate variable expenses based on age bands. For right now, I rely on my trusty spreadsheet for the more detailed blow-by-blow, year-by-year expenses,taxes, RMDs, distributions, etc. I have the condition formatting to alert me if my Roth conversion and/or distribution will put my MAGI above a certain number that would cause an increase in IRMAA two years later.

Thank you for the suggestions and congratulations for 22 years in retirement and wishing you many more happy retirement years!

Last edited:
you have an insights as to why NewRetirement is only 76%, may be worth mentioning to us. Maybe we are missing something. -- Oh, and congrats on good retirement planning!

First and foremost, thank you for lending a pair of eyes. In NR+, I used the pessimistic scenario, detailed budgeter (aka: like to spend, where I went into the detailed expenses and estimates that I have for everything), and spending needs withdrawal strategy.

The assumptions that I used are
General inflation: 3.25% - 4.5% (optimistic - pessimistic)
Social security COLA: 3% - 1%
Housing appreciation rate: 3.5% - 1%
Medical inflation rate: 2.5% - 5.5%

The 76% was back in February (the lowest market so far for this year). I just checked and it is at 82% success ... moving according the fluctuation of the market.

Thus in NR+, I am a bit more pessimistic about my estimates and pushing the negative boundaries, whereas FIRECalc only allows me to change only a number of variables. If I were to use the Average or the Optimistic scenarios, it does come out similarly to what FIRECalc and other calculators projected. I figure if NR+ success rate gets to 90% on the pessimistic scenario, I'll feel much more relaxed. Thanks, again.

Last edited:
If you retire sooner rather than later, you might want to have a portion in cash (equivalents) to cover unexpected expenses and/or market gyrations.
Thank you for lending a pair of eyes. Yes, that is my plan to start to build my CD/Bond ladders starting next year when I can start withdraw from 403b and reallocating my 403b/IRA portfolio from 75/25 to 65/25/10 CD-bond ladders by the time I exit stage left. This is in addition to building a two-year emergency fund in a HYSA account. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom