Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, looking at ER in 2014
Old 08-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi, looking at ER in 2014

Hello, I have been a long time lurker and have enjoyed reading many of the post over the last few years. Age 51. Looking at retiring Jan 2014 at age 54. DW (46) will continue to work part time (nurse) as she is not to sure about this whole early retirement thing.
Our house is paid off and I will have a $60K indexed pension and DW has $300K in RRSP like an IRA in the US. Looking at joining allot of discussions over the next two years.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
Administrator

Hi Coaster. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to hearing more from you, especially the part about working out the differences in opinion at home on early retirement.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
Hi Coaster. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to hearing more from you, especially the part about working out the differences in opinion at home on early retirement.
Yep, she just does not understand why I don't want to continue to wo#k. The job I have is low stress, good pay and flexible hours and I do enjoy the people I work with, however there is no financial reason to continue. I have been thinking about retiring for a couple of years now. Like many on this forum I get the: "What are you going to do?" my reply is "What ever I want!"
DW still likes her job and figures she will work another 5 or 6 years after I pull the plug. She is not resentful of my decision, more like scratch her head curious! She has done that a lot over our 23 year marriage.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster

Yep, she just does not understand why I don't want to continue to wo#k. The job I have is low stress, good pay and flexible hours and I do enjoy the people I work with, however there is no financial reason to continue. I have been thinking about retiring for a couple of years now. Like many on this forum I get the: "What are you going to do?" my reply is "What ever I want!"
DW still likes her job and figures she will work another 5 or 6 years after I pull the plug. She is not resentful of my decision, more like scratch her head curious! She has done that a lot over our 23 year marriage.
Welcome! Also retired at 54 with working wife. Don't let anyone talk you out of retiring early if you can afford it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sorry class of 2014 but things have changed and my final contract will end in Aug 2013
Old 05-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired about 2 1/2 years ago, at age 54 1/2. My wife also continues to work part time in the health care field (although she only works a day or so each week now). Your pension situation is better than mine is, and we are doing fine. We've always been frugal, and continue that into retirement, so we've generally been able to do the things we want to do, with no major money issues. I could have worked longer also, as my job was okay, but there comes a time when you have to weigh the value of working longer versus the free time that you could gain by retiring (and all of the things you can do with that free time). Plus, my health has improved since retirement, as I have time to exercise more and prepare better meals. I have had a ball these last 2 1/2 years........absolutely no regrets that I retired when I did.

RAE
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote