Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #181
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Would you consider the hospitality (hotel) business? Your administrative skills and good work history could be valuable. Sales and Catering departments are still rather low tech, lots of communication and hand holding, relationships, etc. No shortage of hotels in DC and the service industry is challenged like many to find stable workers that can pass drug tests and I-9’s and show up for work when scheduled.

HCareers.com will show you filtered hospitality jobs

Good luck!
Yes I would. I love putting on events and did that during the time I was a Surgical Coordinator. I did trips to New York with the staff, their families and the OR staff and their families. I also did all the Christmas parties. I was happiest doing the events! I would love to work in hospitality and it is a crossover from the events I did at the Church where I interfaced with great caterers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #182
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Ya, but....

Maybe she meant no children at home which is normal for a 63 yr old.
I meant No children period. My husband did not start the divorce proceedings--I did. It was an abusive situation and I had to get out.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #183
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Same thing you said 3 days ago.. you should have been on the HI issue a month ago.
I was on this a month ago researching options and as well as looking for a forum like this for advice and numerous other things. You can ignore my posts. Obviously I am irritating you--I said on day 1 I would be doing the Health care co-op route...that appeals most to me as I am a strong believer and it is the most reasonable option. I called Health Sherpa and they will get back to me. I have been on their website.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DC has its own website - DCHealth. I presume they have their own exchange as well. I was able to estimate policy cost and by entering an age and income, and get the subsidy amount or a determination that Medicaid was the choice on that site. Playing with the numbers may be of assistance to you.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #185
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 You provide your estimated income for 2018 as part of the process... while the fact that it is lower than 2016 or 2017 is a legitimate question, the easy explanation is that you were laid off so your income will be lower... if this broker doesn't get this elementary concept then find someone who does or do it yourself.

Check out healthsherpa.com as a start to what plans would be available to you in your zip code and what the subsidized cost will be.
Thanks, I just called them. I also went to their website--will report back.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #186
gone traveling

Rest assured I will work for less if I have too. It seems that many others are in the same boat that I am and they had to do that. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJennifer View Post
I was on this a month ago researching options and as well as looking for a forum like this for advice and numerous other things. You can ignore my posts. Obviously I am irritating you--I said on day 1 I would be doing the Health care co-op route...that appeals most to me as I am a strong believer and it is the most reasonable option. I called Health Sherpa and they will get back to me. I have been on their website.
No need to get snippy, as it Jan 10th, you don't have the luxury of a lot of time if you don't want a gap in your health insurance. You know Murphy's Law, you're perfectly healthy when you have health insurance and if you let it lapse you end up in the ER....you've had 10 pages of advice here. . Avoiding uninsured medical bills is by far the most important thing you have going on right now.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #188
gone traveling

I also have been on DCHealth and the premiums are too high -- NO subsidy mentioned for me either. Since I have health care through Jan 31--could be why.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #189
gone traveling

Quote:
No need to get snippy, as it Jan 10th, you don't have the luxury of a lot of time if you don't want a gap in your health insurance. You know Murphy's Law, you're perfectly healthy when you have health insurance and if you let it lapse you end up in the ER....you've had 10 pages of advice here. . Avoiding uninsured medical bills is by far the most important thing you have going on right now.
I was responding to let you know that I am aware of the gravity of the situation. I have seen catastrophes in the hospital when people had no insurance--financially devastating. Even Canadians will not cross the border into this country without a daily policy to cover them--they are so afraid of having an accident here in the USA with huge bills. End of conversation about healthcare.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I also have been on DCHealth and the premiums are too high -- NO subsidy mentioned for me either. Since I have health care through Jan 31--could be why.

Try healthcare.gov again. Don’t create an account, use the estimator or “see if you qualify” option. When you do it, pretend it’s a month from now, input the numbers for 2018. Input that you lost coverage due to job loss, etc. I am sure that you will qualify for a large subsidy. I do, and I have self employed income, rental income, investment income and a ss benefit for my daughter. My subsidy is over $700/mo (2 people and hi deduct plan)
I know your situation is different but you don’t need a broker, you need to go on there and look around yourself. I did many many scenarios and estimated incomes before I settled on what I wanted.
Sorry about your divorce and getting screwed. But it sounds like you enjoy your home and want to keep working. I am sure something will turn up. Is there a costco near you? They are a highly ranked employer as far as employee satisfaction goes and have all kinds of jobs.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #191

DC Jennifer; I don't think anyone mentioned the possibility of doing temp work. The assignment might not be to your liking but would bring in some income while you are job hunting. Or.... you could be offered a permanent position after temping. If you have good administrative skills, this might be a good temporary solution.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So does anyone think that someone intelligent enough to be a RN and a scheduler for a large medical practice, can't figure how to get an actual quote for HI.

First we pointed to the websites and broker. Then we explicitly explained she would do a lost my job and HI and don't have any projected income for 2018 for a possible quote. And say I need insurance starting on Jan 31 due to special circumstances.

She's made 63 posts and 62 on this thread and nothing for almost 2 days. It's kind of discouraging to think someone would have nothing better to do then mess with people who are trying to helpful. And waste people's time.

Maybe I'm being too cynical , but her last comment to me was "End of discussion about HI".
Old 01-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #193

Quote:
So does anyone think that someone intelligent enough to be a RN and a scheduler for a large medical practice, can't figure how to get an actual quote for HI.

First we pointed to the websites and broker. Then we explicitly explained she would do a lost my job and HI and don't have any projected income for 2018 for a possible quote. And say I need insurance starting on Jan 31 due to special circumstances.

She's made 63 posts and 62 on this thread and nothing for almost 2 days. It's kind of discouraging to think someone would have nothing better to do then mess with people who are trying to helpful. And waste people's time.

Maybe I'm being too cynical , but her last comment to me was "End of discussion about HI".
I'd hate to think that this person is not real, but you bring up a good point. Also isn't the poster who has signed up under multiple names, been banned multiple times and started argumentative threads from DC?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:29 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It doesn't matter who he designates I'd spends a little time digging around this area.
I agree. Do you know of an attorney who is a member of the parish who has expertise in elder law? Odds are that professional has experience with Federal retirement law and would do some research on your behalf for free. Obtain a copy of your divorce agreement to make that determination easier.

Network, network, network.. surely you know the contact information for parishioners who are well connected and in a position to provide employment/client leads.

Moves are expensive and to move out of your current community disrupts any network you develop. Keep an ear out for any resident in your condo/co-op community who has a studio and thinking of selling. When it comes to multi-family housing better the devil you know than one you don't know. Maybe they want a 1-bedroom and would be interested in buying yours. Post a note on your community bb about your desire to down-size, that would save the both of you realtor fees.

And as others have said nail down health insurance immediately.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #195

We recently laid off our synagogue secretary bc whereas she's a good secretary we needed more. Sounds like DC was in the same boat and is lashing put at the world. I think she was a unit secretary at the surgicenenter & secretary at the church and is mad at the world. I'm not her therapist
Old 01-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
We recently laid off our synagogue secretary bc whereas she's a good secretary we needed more. Sounds like DC was in the same boat and is lashing put at the world. I think she was a unit secretary at the surgicenenter & secretary at the church and is mad at the world. I'm not her therapist
Unfortunately we've had a few of these recently ,repetitive versions of the same question no matter how many tips and answers are given, almost like someone deliberately trying to goose a high post count. And we never hear anything more from the OP afterward. I don't why someone would do this, I guess they find it entertaining.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #197
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any chance they are trolling for an Internet friend to send them money?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Any chance they are trolling for an Internet friend to send them money?
What a good idea, but are people really stupid and gullible enough to do it

I guess nobody will admit now that I phrased it like that
Old 01-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #199
gone traveling

Quote:

Yes, perhaps you are being cynical. Did it ever occur to you that I have been busy doing all you mentioned? I have been at two interviews this week, both went well, applying for UI,(no determination yet) and looking into the Healthcare cooperatives(two look great). Yes, you are right I am able to figure these out. If I am not reading the posts then it is because my #1job now is to find a job. I am not playing with anyone. I have taken to heart all suggestions. I am grateful for everyone who had a positive idea or comment. I am considering all my options. Thank you all! I will report back when everything is in place one way or the other. Please remember my first post was last Sunday, January 7. I have made remarkable strides in one week.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #200

Quote:
My ex husband works for the Federal Government and we have been divorced since 1995. I doubt that I will qualify for any of his pension at this late date.
Is your ex husband a surgeon who fled to Egypt or a fef employee?
Closed Thread

Tags
early retirement, health insurance in er, job elimination, when to take ss