Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #141
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
DCJennifer - good luck on your interview later this week. Keep applying for jobs.

Assuming your nursing license is still in good standing can you pick up shifts here and there doing nursing? I thing there's a term for it - but I don't recall the term... but a friend with a nursing license does this... travelling for a few months, then picking up a contract for a month or two, rinse and repeat.

Samcat - My experience is quite different than yours in trying to negotiate rates down outside of the insurance world. I'm on a HDHP and the biggest benefit is the negotiated rates. When I considered going out of network for a surgery for my son there was NO cash discount or prepayment discount... It was prohibitively expensive. Fortunately, the surgeon in network did a great job and the negotiated rate was less than half what the out of network "cash" price was quoted. Similarly - seeing the non-negotiated rates when same son had a hospitalization the year before - eye popping. But the negotiated rates were close to 75% off.

But if it works for you. Awesome.
I have not done clinical nursing in a hospital for years. I had a back injury early in my career and switched to Office Management, Medical Software Training and Medical Administration. These have served me well. I am looking into internet work with an insurance company for pre-authorizations, etc. I am also looking into an office position with a Home Care Health company close to my home. I met the owner one month ago and sent him my resume. He responded back within a few minutes of my post. We will meet on Thursday.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #142
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldCountryBoy View Post
Best of luck to you and sending a prayer your way for peace in your heart. It's very sad they could not keep you on for a couple more years, I've seen it done in other churches, but enough of that. If you feel like you have been wrongly dismissed, you could lawyer up but it sounds like you are at peace with it and don't need the hassle.

You sound like you are doing very well (living inexpensively) already. Congratulations!

Thriving after getting let go late in life requires great flexibility - have you looked at non-AA support jobs in volunteer/non profits like DC Central Kitchen or other similar efforts? They aren't exactly what you were doing but you'd be practicing a few of the beatitudes at the very least. Washington has very low unemployment so you should be able to find something if you remain flexible. Also consider temp agency work somewhere in the bureaucracy. Usually jobs pop up at the beginning of the year so your timing is quite good.

Good luck to you.
I love helping people and a Non AA job appeals to me very much. The church where I worked had a great outreach to the homeless with a monthly soup kitchen and a twice yearly shelter. It was really very satisfying to play a small role with the Shelter committees to help out.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #143
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This is it in a nutshell and it might seem harsh but it's true.

In fact do you not have nearly a big enough nut put away to continue indefinitely on this path. I hope you find a job to reduce your anxiety but you need to think long and hard about your possible life after retirement.Having employment will make this a little less stressful but the numbers won't change.

You have a paid off car and 500 dollar condo payment and LBYM..your money saved seems low. A surgical coordinator in a large DC hospital is going make good money and after 12.5 years of that it seems like your numbers are on the low side.

This layoff has brought some other issues to the surface but you still have time to figure things out.
Define High paying...the Church job was not high paying. The Medical jobs were and again I was still paying off my attorneys from my divorce --they charged $100,000! It was hard to save anything and pay them off too. I did so. My invested assets did come back from 2008 but have not greatly exceeded-(although they have somewhat) where they were when they fell. I am invested in index funds, a separate mutual fund now, and also have cash assets. I know that working until 70 is my best bet and have never doubted that. Thank you all for your replies over the past few days.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
SDSC is a new acronym for me. What does it mean?
same day surgery center
Old 01-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #145
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJennifer View Post
They also want to pay less...
But in this case, "less" is more than nothing, right?

If you want to work, and if you can't find anything that pays more or the same, it often makes sense to work for less.

If you don't want to work, then it doesn't matter how much they want to pay.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #146
Dryer sheet wannabe

It seems to me that you only need to get through 2 years to medicaid and 3 (depending) to social security. I think you may be entitled to part of your ex's pension (since you did not sign away rights), ACA subsidies, and perhaps medicaid.

I have learned a lot from watching the friends of my children (late 20s/30s, very insecure employment for many). Example--some of these kids work before and after care where my son is a teacher. They make $15/hr. Not bad. One 63 y.o. is divorced, lives in half her former house while her ex is in the other half. She makes 20,000/yr as an assistant teacher in a kindergarten classroom. You just need SOME income--not to replace what you lost but to avoid depleting what you have.

So, check out area schools. Why not approach the new minister and offer to work part-time till they can find a ft person. Why not put up signs in your building offering to do dogwalking, petsitting, babysitting, grocery shopping for older people who might be homebound. My mom is 87 in FL and she and her friends pay a lot for such services.

Making a couple of thousand a year may tide you over till the safety net kicks in. And don't discount ACA or medicaid. Medicaid goes by income and not by assets--at least that's what I think.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #147
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Define High paying...the Church job was not high paying. The Medical jobs were and again I was still paying off my attorneys from my divorce --they charged $100,000! It was hard to save anything and pay them off too. I did so. My invested assets did come back from 2008 but have not greatly exceeded-(although they have somewhat) where they were when they fell. I am invested in index funds, a separate mutual fund now, and also have cash assets. I know that working until 70 is my best bet and have never doubted that. Thank you all for your replies over the past few days.
I'm so sorry you got caught in high expense divorce, my Mom went through a later age divorce at post 50 and it is hard financially and emotionally. Good luck with your job leads, and stay on the board after you get work, there are a lot of kind, smart people here that can give advice and a lot of the advice comes from the school of hard knocks. Even the tough love posters mean well.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #148
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
But in this case, "less" is more than nothing, right?

If you want to work, and if you can't find anything that pays more or the same, it often makes sense to work for less.

If you don't want to work, then it doesn't matter how much they want to pay.
agreed...If you followed the thread, the job description was changed to include a skill set that I do not have--namely an accountant--and they want an accountant. It had nothing to do with me --they sent me off with a glowing letter of reference and a luncheon with gifts. They can only afford so many employees in a church--even a wealthy church and some hard choices were made to eliminate my job. I hope you understand this. No one will work for less money in the same job if they can help it. The job was not offered to me for negotiation.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #149
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalscholar View Post
It seems to me that you only need to get through 2 years to medicaid and 3 (depending) to social security. I think you may be entitled to part of your ex's pension (since you did not sign away rights), ACA subsidies, and perhaps medicaid.

I have learned a lot from watching the friends of my children (late 20s/30s, very insecure employment for many). Example--some of these kids work before and after care where my son is a teacher. They make $15/hr. Not bad. One 63 y.o. is divorced, lives in half her former house while her ex is in the other half. She makes 20,000/yr as an assistant teacher in a kindergarten classroom. You just need SOME income--not to replace what you lost but to avoid depleting what you have.

So, check out area schools. Why not approach the new minister and offer to work part-time till they can find a ft person. Why not put up signs in your building offering to do dogwalking, petsitting, babysitting, grocery shopping for older people who might be homebound. My mom is 87 in FL and she and her friends pay a lot for such services.

Making a couple of thousand a year may tide you over till the safety net kicks in. And don't discount ACA or medicaid. Medicaid goes by income and not by assets--at least that's what I think.
Originally I was hoping to take my SS and then work part time to get some cash so as not to deplete my savings--if I could do that. An early poster ran the figures for me and I think that might work. I just contacted an ACA insurance broker and they said all they have is an Aetna insurance policy for 733.00 per month! That is insane! I will go the Shared Christian ministries route for the time I have no insurance. If I get a job with insurance then I can cancel that option.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Jennifer, have you considered doing medical transcription? You would already have the skills required, and its something you could do in your own home.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #151
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally I was hoping to take my SS and then work part time to get some cash so as not to deplete my savings--if I could do that. An early poster ran the figures for me and I think that might work. I just contacted an ACA insurance broker and they said all they have is an Aetna insurance policy for 733.00 per month! That is insane! I will go the Shared Christian ministries route for the time I have no insurance. If I get a job with insurance then I can cancel that option.
Does that price include the subsidy? What number did you give the agent for your 2018 income?

Do you know where you would be on the ACA-Medicaid line with your proposed income? If your income is too low, you qualify for expanded Medicaid in DC. A bit higher, and you should get a huge subsidy for the ACA plan. You may want to have that conversation again.

ETA: Did you look at this site? https://dchealthlink.com/ It allows you to see if you qualify for Medicaid or a premium subsidy through the Plan Match feature under Individual and Family Plans.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wait there is no way that number is correct with your limited income for 2018...you want to go to the government site or another broker..look on the government website for a list of approved brokers.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
My only expenses are my mortgage-apartment bought in 1996 ($505 per month), monthly co-op fee which includes everything but my internet and phone services ($1,000), cell phone ($23.00 per month) and internet only service($75.00) from Comcast--just renegotiated down......
I know you don't like my comments, but I wish you the best of luck.
However, your situation is alarming to me, but I didn't sense that feeling of alarm from you, so I wanted to point out the seriousness in case you were glossing over it.

Why it's so alarming to me is because I was homeless about 20 years ago. I'm talking Salvation Army for clothes and food banks for food. Nobody wants that now or in 10 years because of bad choices today.

How about getting a room-mate, renting out a room in your apt. That would help a lot with the $1,505 per month cost, since you say you live in a high COL area, you can probably command a high room rent.
Just be sure to pick someone that has a job, check with their employer, past rental places, and don't fall for some hard-luck story as con-people use them all the time.
If you are close to a College, renting to a College girl (with parents co-signing) can work out well without any long term commitment as most leave after the year.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Many thanks for your encouragement. Jobs do abound but so does ageism. I had to sign a waiver that I would not sure the Church or anyone there for reasons of age. If I did not sign then there would have been no severance package. It was better to leave as I did with grace and dignity. I had done nothing wrong but they wanted a younger worker who they can pay less with a different skill set. So far they have not found that person. The one millennial they did hire as the Communications/Media Director on November 15, rarely works an eight hour day and just took two weeks off!
In my (tech) profession ageism is rampant too, but just ignore the 99 jobs that are looking to cheap out and find the ones that do fit. Friends who have had similar searches to you in recent past were looking in the same way they did 25 years ago when they got their last job. Throw all that out and dive right in.

If you feel entrepreneurial, start a service to fill in for time starved professionals. Examples - running errands, dog walking is big now if you like critters, etc. Some of these people can make very good money. Just make sure you like what you are doing.

Another place - educational institutions have similar cultures so you'd be helpful there. In places like that you usually need to do something small or part time until they gain trust and then they'll not stop calling you.

You know how to show up. That puts you ahead of half the applicants.

You are honest and don't steal. That puts you ahead of half of the remainder.

And if you have the skills you mention, you are easily in the top 10%.

Don't sell yourself short or judge negatively. You have value!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #155
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Wait there is no way that number is correct with your limited income for 2018...you want to go to the government site or another broker..look on the government website for a list of approved brokers.
The broker asked for my reported income for 2017. They go by that not by 2018 income which is unknown. I would get no subsidy since they go on last years income according to this broker.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #156
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I know you don't like my comments, but I wish you the best of luck.
However, your situation is alarming to me, but I didn't sense that feeling of alarm from you, so I wanted to point out the seriousness in case you were glossing over it.

Why it's so alarming to me is because I was homeless about 20 years ago. I'm talking Salvation Army for clothes and food banks for food. Nobody wants that now or in 10 years because of bad choices today.

How about getting a room-mate, renting out a room in your apt. That would help a lot with the $1,505 per month cost, since you say you live in a high COL area, you can probably command a high room rent.
Just be sure to pick someone that has a job, check with their employer, past rental places, and don't fall for some hard-luck story as con-people use them all the time.
If you are close to a College, renting to a College girl (with parents co-signing) can work out well without any long term commitment as most leave after the year.
My co-op apartment is a one bedroom, NOT two or three. I live in a co-op and renting out a room is against our bylaws, in fact if one wishes to do so does so because of a State Dept move overseas for an assignment, it requires Board approval if the member-owner wants to rent out their apartment. Airbnb is also prohibited. That is what keeps our apartment values higher than a condo community.

If I were not alarmed by my situation, I would not have joined this forum for advice--read my first post and you will see that I say I am frightened. Losing my head now will not help me figure this situation out. I just need advice not a SciFi future scenario. I am aware of what homelessness is- the church I worked for and my own also help out on that issue. Please read all of my posts. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #157
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldCountryBoy View Post
In my (tech) profession ageism is rampant too, but just ignore the 99 jobs that are looking to cheap out and find the ones that do fit. Friends who have had similar searches to you in recent past were looking in the same way they did 25 years ago when they got their last job. Throw all that out and dive right in.

If you feel entrepreneurial, start a service to fill in for time starved professionals. Examples - running errands, dog walking is big now if you like critters, etc. Some of these people can make very good money. Just make sure you like what you are doing.

Another place - educational institutions have similar cultures so you'd be helpful there. In places like that you usually need to do something small or part time until they gain trust and then they'll not stop calling you.

You know how to show up. That puts you ahead of half the applicants.

You are honest and don't steal. That puts you ahead of half of the remainder.

And if you have the skills you mention, you are easily in the top 10%.

Don't sell yourself short or judge negatively. You have value!
Thank you for your positive encouraging advice. I am most grateful for all points of view.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #158
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The broker asked for my reported income for 2017. They go by that not by 2018 income which is unknown. I would get no subsidy since they go on last years income according to this broker.
This was not true for me, it was my expected 2018 income that determined the amount of the subsidy, if any. Was asked to submit clarifying documentation since last year's tax return was substantially different than what I expect going forward.

Since your income is expected to be lower in 2018, I would find a different broker or make contact with the appropriate group via healthcare.gov.

If you qualify for a subsidy and you end up with a higher paying job (could happen!), you'll have to pay back any excess when you file your 2018 return next year, so plan accordingly.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is COMPLETELY 100% wrong...don't talk to this broker again.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #160
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
You had a job loss that reduced your income substantially. If I recall, a number of people here were able to document a decline in income due to retirement and get the subsidy. Please call someone with the exchange or a more knowledgeable broker to verify that this does not change the qualification process. I'm pretty sure it does.

Right now, with zero income, you qualify for Medicaid. You need to get this figured out by the end of the month, so I would start with the DC Health people or a SHIP counselor if they have them in DC tomorrow.
Closed Thread

Tags
early retirement, health insurance in er, job elimination, when to take ss