Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
You had a job loss that reduced your income substantially. If I recall, a number of people here were able to document a decline in income due to retirement and get the subsidy. Please call someone with the exchange or a more knowledgeable broker to verify that this does not change the qualification process. I'm pretty sure it does.

Right now, with zero income, you qualify for Medicaid. You need to get this figured out by the end of the month, so I would start with the DC Health people or a SHIP counselor if they have them in DC tomorrow.
+1..and don't take this the wrong but you to start getting more aggressive right now, whether it's finding about the ex's pension,or doing some reading yourself about ACA and income limits. In the past 7 pages multiple people have taken the time to explain that with no guaranteed income for 2018 you will greatly reduced if not almost free health care.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #162

When I was looking at ACA options for 2018 on the healthcare.gov site (which you can still browse and sign up now under the change in status option - ie, loss of other coverage due to job, etc. ), they ask you to estimate your 2018 income.

Your broker is a twit, and also an unnecessary service. You can estimate even the highest end of the income brackets if unsure to get the smallest subsidy and you'd still come in with a price tag probably 30% of any un-subsidized price for the same plan. Brokers are great to help those with complex needs, but the average reasonably-smart adult in good health with an hour free can find a decent plan for the current year, assuming there is at least one or two providers for your zip code.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The OP is in a sticky situation. With no income, she is not eligible for a subsidy. She is expected to go on expanded Medicaid. With an income somewhere in the mid-20's, she switches from Medicaid to a heavily subsidized ACA policy. In the OP's shoes, I would look at this more carefully. Medicaid eligibility, at least in California, can change from month to month. The ACA is a one shot deal, with a subsidy true up at the end of the year. Having to pay back some or all of the subsidy at tax time could put a significant financial strain on the OP.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #164

Ah right I forgot about the "floor" for subsidy eligibility....but yes either way, the broker is doing her no favors. I still believe that a new job is in her future but yes this is all research to be done between interviews... prepare for the worst, etc.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #165
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJennifer View Post
I was still paying off my attorneys from my divorce --they charged $100,000!
Good grief! And they didn't even make sure you got a QDRO on his Pension? I think you got ripped off.... Sorry.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The OP is in a sticky situation. With no income, she is not eligible for a subsidy. She is expected to go on expanded Medicaid. With an income somewhere in the mid-20's, she switches from Medicaid to a heavily subsidized ACA policy. In the OP's shoes, I would look at this more carefully. Medicaid eligibility, at least in California, can change from month to month. The ACA is a one shot deal, with a subsidy true up at the end of the year. Having to pay back some or all of the subsidy at tax time could put a significant financial strain on the OP.
She's over 63 and had IRA or 401 money she can manipulate that income to hit the bottom subsidy income and cost sharing bennies..
Old 01-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Would you consider the hospitality (hotel) business? Your administrative skills and good work history could be valuable. Sales and Catering departments are still rather low tech, lots of communication and hand holding, relationships, etc. No shortage of hotels in DC and the service industry is challenged like many to find stable workers that can pass drug tests and I-9’s and show up for work when scheduled.

HCareers.com will show you filtered hospitality jobs

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #168

I've found this thread interesting, and if true OP's story is sad. But on the other hand I'm struggling to find all of OP's posts credible. $100,000 for a divorce lawyer? ACA cost that others here say is flat-out wrong. Sorta hostile responses to some tough-love suggestions.
All in all, I'm befuddled, and not certain what to believe.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I've found this thread interesting, and if true OP's story is sad. But on the other hand I'm struggling to find all of OP's posts credible. $100,000 for a divorce lawyer? ACA cost that others here say is flat-out wrong. Sorta hostile responses to some tough-love suggestions.
All in all, I'm befuddled, and not certain what to believe.
I was all in until that lawyer number came up..however a custody dispute could trigger those kind of bills..but I am reading a little more skeptically..
Old 01-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The broker asked for my reported income for 2017. They go by that not by 2018 income which is unknown. I would get no subsidy since they go on last years income according to this broker.

Not true! You are free to go on healthcare.gov, create and account or just check and see what a subsidy would be if you found a part time job and estimated 20k/yr or whatever you think is possible.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

+1 You provide your estimated income for 2018 as part of the process... while the fact that it is lower than 2016 or 2017 is a legitimate question, the easy explanation is that you were laid off so your income will be lower... if this broker doesn't get this elementary concept then find someone who does or do it yourself.

Check out healthsherpa.com as a start to what plans would be available to you in your zip code and what the subsidized cost will be.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
Old 01-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I was all in until that lawyer number came up..however a custody dispute could trigger those kind of bills..but I am reading a little more skeptically..
Ya, but....
Quote:
.... I am a divorced woman, no children. I will not have a pension, only an IRA and 401K.
Maybe she meant no children at home which is normal for a 63 yr old.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #173
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
This was not true for me, it was my expected 2018 income that determined the amount of the subsidy, if any. Was asked to submit clarifying documentation since last year's tax return was substantially different than what I expect going forward.

Since your income is expected to be lower in 2018, I would find a different broker or make contact with the appropriate group via healthcare.gov.

If you qualify for a subsidy and you end up with a higher paying job (could happen!), you'll have to pay back any excess when you file your 2018 return next year, so plan accordingly.
This is exactly how it worked out for me.

I retired, and thus would have $0 income going forward while my wife continued to work. I called and asked how to account for this. I had to send a few letters, but eventually got the appropriate subsidy.

Then, as fate would have it, I got called by my former company asking me to help them out. I agreed to consult with them 2 days per week. Of course that pushed our income past the subsidy level and I had to pay it all back when filing my taxes. Oh well, not a huge deal.

Now, I'm back to $0 income. Had to send a few more letters. But the subsidy is back.

Forget this "broker". Go to the website and get started for yourself. You'll learn what you have to do and how to do it.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #174

Quote:
Or she can estimate just over 100% of federal poverty level (FPL) for 2018 for the maximum subsidy under the ACA (or is it 133% for Medicaid expansion states?)

If she doesn't make even that by the end of 2018 only a small part has to be paid back.
(IIRC for 2017 only $600 for those whose income ended up under 100% of FPL)
Old 01-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #175
Dryer sheet wannabe

In my poor state, substitute teachers make $125/day and don't need certification. Just another thought....

And, like others, I think you qualify for substantial ACA subsidies if not medicaid.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #176
gone traveling

Quote:
You had a job loss that reduced your income substantially. If I recall, a number of people here were able to document a decline in income due to retirement and get the subsidy. Please call someone with the exchange or a more knowledgeable broker to verify that this does not change the qualification process. I'm pretty sure it does.

Right now, with zero income, you qualify for Medicaid. You need to get this figured out by the end of the month, so I would start with the DC Health people or a SHIP counselor if they have them in DC tomorrow.
I will look into this and see what another broker says. Thank you.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I will look into this and see what another broker says. Thank you.
Same thing you said 3 days ago.. you should have been on the HI issue a month ago.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #178
gone traveling

Quote:
My ex was a surgeon originally from Egypt, but trained here in the USA. He fought the divorce and the case never should have gone to court according to my lawyer....he also fled to Egypt with all our assets and placed our money overseas in a swiss bank account. I was awarded $200,000 cash, a large condo (which he drained of the equity) and he never paid it a penny to me. It is a story in itself and I was hoping not to get into it here. I should write a book. He is well connected, still and holds a political position in the government of Egypt today. His nephew was Ambassador from Egypt to Canada and now lives in Ottawa. Without getting into too many details. This is why I do not have as much as you all think I should--so please I hope you now understand. Thank you.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same thing you said 3 days ago.. you should have been on the HI issue a month ago.
Kind of needlessly hostile, don't you think?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #180
gone traveling

Quote:
+1..and don't take this the wrong but you to start getting more aggressive right now, whether it's finding about the ex's pension,or doing some reading yourself about ACA and income limits. In the past 7 pages multiple people have taken the time to explain that with no guaranteed income for 2018 you will greatly reduced if not almost free health care.
Since I called that broker and went on the ACA website, I have gotten calls every hour on the hour from brokers all over the country...this is maddening. I am aggressive--that is why you do not find me online all the time. I am doing what you all suggest, plus preparing for a job interview tomorrow. Thank you.
Closed Thread

Tags
early retirement, health insurance in er, job elimination, when to take ss