Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Hard to give guidance without some idea of your assets.

In fact ACA insurance might be considerably cheaper then faith based depending on your income and won't have a pre-existing conditions waiver.

If you are so inclined tell us a little bit about your savings and the amount of your SS. In fact for one person taking SS at an early age is statistically neutral.

SS is only neutral if you die on the crossover date. Otherwise if you die sooner then one should have filed early. If one dies later than the crossover date, one should have waited. Generally speaking, if one is not in good health or does not have longevity genes or lastly, if one needs the SS to survive, then claiming earlier makes sense.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you are willing to relocate to a low COL area- there are jobs available.

Wages- not great, probably close to minimum wage. Order fulfillment type jobs.

Benefits-
... offers one of the best health insurance plans available from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota. The employee's share of the cost for a family policy is $37 biweekly. Single coverage is free of charge to the employee. In-network services include no deductibles; $10 office co-pays; and an annual eye exam. A formulary drug prescription plan provides prescriptions to plan participants for a small co-pay of $10 for generic or $20 for brand name prescription drugs. Plan enrollment date is 30 days following the employee start date and the first of the month following that period. Example: Employee starts May 15 and coverage becomes effective on July 1.

Relocation Assistance- $850.

401K- Our plan features dollar-for-dollar employee contribution match up to 3% from ... to your 401(k) account. ... may also provide a profit sharing contribution directly into your retirement account.

A place to live- Relatively new, 2 bed, one bath, 1000 ft2, $915 per month + $60 for parking garage.

Working in the cold weather states may not appeal to a lot of folks, but it does provide options.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Look at Christian Healthcare Ministries as a substitute for health insurance. The best level will cost $175 for the best benefits. We think it is our solution for unaffordable health insurance. I can answer questions about it if you want to discuss.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJennifer View Post
Ahh the unemployment question is sensitive for me. I worked for an Episcopal Church and was shocked to find that churches do NOT pay unemployment and thus I do not qualify. I am upset because this very church supports the idea of unemployment for everyone else when the economy tanks---everyone but their own employees. I intend to go to the Bishop on this issue as our employment contracts do not have any statements about this issue...you find out only if you are laid off. Yes, I intend to go to a faith based health insurance co-op for insurance.
Just mentioned Christian Healthcare Ministries in another post. We did lots of research and think it is a great solution.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #65
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Sounds like you can get by fine while you take your time looking for a new job. I think you could get by without ever having a job again but things could get tight if you live along time. I think I would hold off on collecting SS for a few years even if you don't find a job but you should probably try to find at least part time work to reduce how much you have to take from savings. Good luck.
I agree with you to some extent, but my fear is if I use my savings then it will be hard to replace it. I would love to delay collecting SS but I am not sure that will be a reality for me. I believe in minimalist living and now prefer memories to things. I do not see that I will buy a lot of stuff at this stage of my life. I take You tube videos instructions and do my own hair and nails like a professional. I volunteer locally as well. I want to also have a bit of fun. Washington DC has a lot of free activities for senior citizens.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #66
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat View Post
Look at Christian Healthcare Ministries as a substitute for health insurance. The best level will cost $175 for the best benefits. We think it is our solution for unaffordable health insurance. I can answer questions about it if you want to discuss.
How long have you used it Samcat? How long has it been in existence and how many members does it have? Who do I contact with questions?

Many thanks for your kindness in replying to my post.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
If you are willing to relocate to a low COL area- there are jobs available.

Wages- not great, probably close to minimum wage. Order fulfillment type jobs.

Benefits-
... offers one of the best health insurance plans available from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota. The employee's share of the cost for a family policy is $37 biweekly. Single coverage is free of charge to the employee. In-network services include no deductibles; $10 office co-pays; and an annual eye exam. A formulary drug prescription plan provides prescriptions to plan participants for a small co-pay of $10 for generic or $20 for brand name prescription drugs. Plan enrollment date is 30 days following the employee start date and the first of the month following that period. Example: Employee starts May 15 and coverage becomes effective on July 1.

Relocation Assistance- $850.

401K- Our plan features dollar-for-dollar employee contribution match up to 3% from ... to your 401(k) account. ... may also provide a profit sharing contribution directly into your retirement account.

A place to live- Relatively new, 2 bed, one bath, 1000 ft2, $915 per month + $60 for parking garage.

Working in the cold weather states may not appeal to a lot of folks, but it does provide options.
Thank you for your information. I will seriously consider it. I think I can command more than minimum wage--at least I hope so.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
When does your HI end? My immediate advice would be to file for ACA insurance showing you have no W-2 income after 1/18... your cost would be minimal ..I don't know what DC has for expanded Medicare. Then you won't have to add much HI coverage expense to your budget. Do you realize the Christian HI groups all have a certain waiting period before they cover pre-existing conditions and virtually every issue you've ever had wouldn't be covered. This exposes you to possible huge medical bills.

Spend a little time expanding your business and see where it leads. Live off your 20K for a little while. Look around for a full/part time job that you would like. Many churches do like part times workers.

Be aware of the fact that you do obtain full time work early in the year you might need to pay back some of your HI subsidy, depending on your income total at the end of the years. It seems that if you can find part time pleasant work and take your SS early, you could qualify for subsidized HI, pay your bills and have a little left over for fun money. Don't panic..think of this as an opportunity to think about how you might like to spend the next 10 years..Your condo payment should be done by then, which will free up some cash.
With Christian Healthcare Ministries, pre existing conditions are not covered but they have prayer pages in their newsletter where members donate to covers those costs. I bet most people's costs are covered. We are finding that cash discounts make medical bills much more affordable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Also check if your ex has a pension. Even if he's working, you may be eligible for a portion of it and not have to wait for him to retire. This happened to a co-worker of mine, a guy in his 60's. Got a divorce and his wife immediately filed for his retirement and got what percentage she was awarded. He wasn't too happy, but that wasn't her fault he didn't weigh in the factor before he left her.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Spousal benefits would be less than I would get from SS in my own. He makes a six figure income, but they have a maximum SS benefit and that is 2670 or so this year. I would get $1700 on my own now.
Can you claim on his now and wait to claim on yours later?
Old 01-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #70

You sound intelligent and sensible. In this low-unemployment environment, while ageism is a thing, I will bet you find other prospects for employment, given your background both in administration and healthcare. Might be with a haircut to salary (remember you should NOT disclose you prior salary to prospective employers - you are looking for what the job pays, not what they think you'll get based on your prior pay).

Yes, you can for sure sign up for ACA and then leave if another job comes along shortly, or COBRA for a month or two if needed.

I wouldn't be looking to relo in your position. You like the area, and you're single, so moving to a low-COLA might not be much fun, but you can consider that longer term if needed. Also yup selling the car probably not worth it, at least not until after you stop working.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
How long have you used it Samcat? How long has it been in existence and how many members does it have? Who do I contact with questions?

Many thanks for your kindness in replying to my post.
We've only been on it since December but thoroughly researched it and think it will work. My husband is ultra conservative financially and he is convinced which says a lot. Christian Healthcare Ministries has over 300k members and has been in business since the 80s. Google it for the website. You can find past newsletters which will help you learn about it. The don't pay for monthly maintenance medications but you can get cash discounts at the pharmacy. No pre existing conditions but you can submit your bills and they share them with the membership who then make tax deductible donations to help cover the costs. It's really all about asking for cash discounts from your medical providers. Not sure if we can contact each other off line but I'd be more than happy to talk to you about it. I really think it is the healthcare of the future.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #72

Quote:
Can you claim on his now and wait to claim on yours later?
No, she cannot do that. That option is no longer available to folks born after 01/01/1954.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 01-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #73
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
You sound intelligent and sensible. In this low-unemployment environment, while ageism is a thing, I will bet you find other prospects for employment, given your background both in administration and healthcare. Might be with a haircut to salary (remember you should NOT disclose you prior salary to prospective employers - you are looking for what the job pays, not what they think you'll get based on your prior pay).

Yes, you can for sure sign up for ACA and then leave if another job comes along shortly, or COBRA for a month or two if needed.

I wouldn't be looking to relo in your position. You like the area, and you're single, so moving to a low-COLA might not be much fun, but you can consider that longer term if needed. Also yup selling the car probably not worth it, at least not until after you stop working.
Thank you for your kind reply. I worked in Georgetown for the last 2.5 years and took the bus due to the intensity of the meter maids there. Before that I supervised a clinic in DuPont Circle and also took the bus there from right in front of my home. There is no stigma in using public transportation in DC. My car is paid off and a loaded 2008 Jetta SE with 11,000 miles and in perfect condition inside and out. I can get 6500.00 for it and not have to pay the insurance $989 per year, gas maintenance, registration every year and $130 to garage it plus gas. That is a lot of Uber rides, if you ask me for a car that is mainly used on weekends to buy groceries and go to Church. I walk a lot to many things so I do not have to pay parking rates. Do you still think I should keep it?
Old 01-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #74

Well you do make a good case for selling - but I'd probably wait personally until you at least have your next job lined up.

I don't mean to imply public transport has a stigma at all, and yes your area probably has better access/reliability than some. Really just a personal preference thing, then again, I live in the suburbs with a 1mile walk to the nearest bus stop and no idea if that even goes anywhere worthwhile! Not having a car, where I live, means not going much of anywhere.

Either way I wouldn't be making big changes right away. I'd be focusing on finding my next job first, and then decide.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #75

If public transportation in DC is good then selling the car is a possibility at some point. But honestly, I have to say public transportation in the U.S. on average is poor. In DC it could be a different story. I have never lived in a city in my entire life with good public transportation.

That would require billions of dollars and somehow in the U.S. most cities don't have it or won't spend it. So make sure you could do without the car before you sell it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
Old 01-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
SS is only neutral if you die on the crossover date. Otherwise if you die sooner then one should have filed early. If one dies later than the crossover date, one should have waited. Generally speaking, if one is not in good health or does not have longevity genes or lastly, if one needs the SS to survive, then claiming earlier makes sense.
Have you invented some magic machine that tells people when they are going to die? You know even healthy people with longevity can get hit by a bus. The reductions that are made for age correspond to average longevity and that is the only "penalty" for taking early SS. If you want to make a guess about your lifespan that's up to you.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you for your kind reply. I worked in Georgetown for the last 2.5 years and took the bus due to the intensity of the meter maids there. Before that I supervised a clinic in DuPont Circle and also took the bus there from right in front of my home. There is no stigma in using public transportation in DC. My car is paid off and a loaded 2008 Jetta SE with 11,000 miles and in perfect condition inside and out. I can get 6500.00 for it and not have to pay the insurance $989 per year, gas maintenance, registration every year and $130 to garage it plus gas. That is a lot of Uber rides, if you ask me for a car that is mainly used on weekends to buy groceries and go to Church. I walk a lot to many things so I do not have to pay parking rates. Do you still think I should keep it?
I don't think you should worry about downsizing your condo or selling your car until you have a chance to process what's going on. Get some health coverage, look around for a part/full time job and process what's going on. Don't worry about spending your 20K liquid that what it is for emergencies, and rainy days. Don't rush into claiming your SS until you have a good feel for the job market. Once again, I'll say a nice part time job, ACA insurance coverage and some SS will give you a nice living.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
With Christian Healthcare Ministries, pre existing conditions are not covered but they have prayer pages in their newsletter where members donate to covers those costs. I bet most people's costs are covered. We are finding that cash discounts make medical bills much more affordable!
You've been on this for less then 60 days but you "bet" most peoples pre-existing costs are covered. The OP is a 63 YO and you won't find many 63 year olds that don't have something pre existing...the OP can most probably get complete ACA HI for less then what this costs and it will be better coverage. The policy from CHM specifically exclude pre-existings..I glad if works for you but please don't sugar coat stuff and "bet" on things like this.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have you read this entire thread, just curious why you are pushing so hard for this CHM...and by the way its an alternative to traditional health insurance not a substitute...the pre-existing condition exclusion can trip up a lot of people.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Have you read this entire thread, just curious why you are pushing so hard for this CHM...and by the way its an alternative to traditional health insurance not a substitute...the pre-existing condition exclusion can trip up a lot of people.
The poster asked me for details so I gave them to her. If she needs insurance, it is a great alternative. Did you read how they handle pre-existing conditions? Pre-existing conditions are not a problem. Other members cover them. It is our "insurance" and is a substitute. A bronze plan was going to cost us over $2300 per month and it was pretty much major medical with a family deductible of $12,000 and a huge co insurance max. We are saving $1900 per month. We can pay lots of expenses out of pocket and still save money. No deductibles after the first $500 is paid and most of the time that is covered by the cash discounts. No in network or out of network. You can see whomever you want.
Closed Thread

Tags
early retirement, health insurance in er, job elimination, when to take ss