hi my name is justin

justinwc

Confused about dryer sheets
hello my name is justin and i am 29 years old and live in a small town in northwest united states. After getting fed up with my job and quitting i have decided to seek what i have always desired finiancial freedom and retirement.

How am i going to do this?? I have a few ideas and have read up on the subjects however, that is not enough i am seeking any advice and or a mentor of sorts someone who has done what i want to do that can help me to achieve my dream and im always willing to learn something new. and in exchange i am very gratful and willing to give back.

As things are now i have no job, about 10 000 dollars of debt, a wife and a new born baby to support, no car, no savings, and its the middle of winter here and its getting pretty depressing however,
I have faith in myself that i can change my situation around for the better at least for my familys sake despite my odds.

some of my intrests are online business, real estate, gold and silver collecting, investing, traveling the world, and of course retirement
I hope to meet some great people here and i look forward to chating with you thanks!

Hello Justin and welcome to E-R.org.

I'm sure you will get some suggestions from those who read your posts but I'm not sure you will find a mentor to help you achieve what you are seeking. My suggestion is simply that you concentrate all your efforts on finding a job to support your wife and child.

I doubt you will find anyone here who achieved what you seek - financial freedom and retirement - other than through a job of some sort. The vast majority of us are achieving our goal by living below our means, saving a portion of our income, investing it wisely, and having the faith and patience to allow it to grow large enough so that we can retire.

Bottom line, there are no reliable shortcuts to get where you want to be, you must work for it.

Justin: Have you considered joining the military? It could help you check the boxes of "taking care of your family," "traveling the world," and eventually, financial freedom. There are lots of military and ex-military on the forum, who have posted a lot of good info.

Best of luck,

Amethyst

hello my name is justin and i am 29 years old and live in a small town in northwest united states. After getting fed up with my job and quitting i have decided to seek what i have always desired finiancial freedom and retirement.

How am i going to do this?? I have a few ideas and have read up on the subjects however, that is not enough i am seeking any advice and or a mentor of sorts someone who has done what i want to do that can help me to achieve my dream and im always willing to learn something new. and in exchange i am very gratful and willing to give back.

As things are now i have no job, about 10 000 dollars of debt, a wife and a new born baby to support, no car, no savings, and its the middle of winter here and its getting pretty depressing however,
I have faith in myself that i can change my situation around for the better at least for my familys sake despite my odds.

some of my intrests are online business, real estate, gold and silver collecting, investing, traveling the world, and of course retirement
I hope to meet some great people here and i look forward to chating with you thanks!

If it were fun we wouldn't call it "work." What are the job prospects in your area?

I think the "getting depressing" you referred to in your post is affecting you--can you get help for that?

After getting fed up with my job and quitting. a wife and a new born baby to support, no car, no savings

I think I would suggest you start with figuring out why in the world you did that. With a wife and a new baby to support, an appropriate adult response would be to do whatever it took, endure whatever unpleasant conditions were necessary, and support them. If you needed to, you could look for new work BEFORE you quit your old job, then quit when you have something better already lined up. If you lost your job, an appropriate adult response would be to take any job, no matter how difficult, and work your way back up, in order to support them.

Despite what you hear on infomercials, there is no secret formula for riches with minimal work, provided you align yourself with the right team of advisers or mentors. Besides what mentor would want a protege who quits instead of supporting his family.

Hmmm...

Why would you quit your job with... about 10 000 dollars of debt, a wife and a new born baby to support, no car, no savings, in the middle of winter, in NW Montana? Making good decisions is the first step to FIRE. That includes toughing it out when times are difficult and keeping your eyes on the prize.

(Methinks we may be getting played here, but we'll see...)

Step 1 = get a job that pays the bills for you, your wife, and your child

Step 2 = spend less than you earn, while pursuing your other interests (the online business, real estate, etc.) and reading up on the basics of index funds and low-cost investing (many great books out there, and lots of great info on these forums)

Step 3 = eliminate your debt

Step 4 = save up an emergency fund of 6 months of living expenses

Step 5 = once you've got your emergency fund saved up, start investing in your tax-favored retirement plans (401k, IRA or Roth IRA) since, after all, retirement is one of the pursuits you enjoy

Step 6 = keep it up, look for ways to turn your hobbies into extra income while sticking with your day job

But dude, you got a newborn and you quit your job to "seek ... financial freedom and retirement"? I suspect you are a troll, but in case you are not, I've given the above advice. You don't "seek" retirement -- you earn it.

Just recall the lesson from Aesop's Kung Fu Fables: "Don't be a grasshopper, Grasshopper."

Hello and thank you for all the comments

Hello and thank all for the comments it i very helpful and I am working agin now I just need to find the right job for me right now.

Justin,

I am glad to hear that you are working again. Your first priority is taking care of your family.

You have something that many of us on this forum are growing short of and that is TIME.

Find a job that you enjoy. Remember to put some money away each pay cycle and learn how to invest it. Get out and stay out of debt.

You will figure things out over the years. Perhaps you will decide to open a small business just like I did. I found that to be a nice alternative to working for someone else.

OK, so you are young and hopefully in good shape physically. How about going to work on a drilling rig. Step across the border into Alberta, the drilling companies are desperate for workers here.

You start with no experience at $24.00/hr (U.S. and CDN buck are at par right now) and with any kind of hustle you will be crowding $30/hr within a year. You'll also work a ton of O/T

If you don't have a lot of vices, and a wife that can handle your being gone for 3-4 week stretches, that $10k of debt will disappear really fast.

Back
Top Bottom