Hi, This is Cloud from Canada.

cloud

Confused about dryer sheets
When I graduated from high school in 2003, I had no clue what I wanted to do. My interest is electronic and stuff like that. My sister suggested that I should study Engineering. Without much knowledge about the real world, I didn't know how to make my own choice. I enrolled in Electrical Engineering.
During my first year of university, I ran into a book called "Rich dad poor dad", it completely changed my life. I realized that's what I really want: Freedom. Financial freedom is one of the biggest freedom we can dream of. So I spent lots of my after school time to teach myself budgeting and investing while slacking on the school work. I failed couple courses here and there but managed to get a Bachelor degree with a C- GPA. I graduated in 2008 and that was the start of the global recession. I applied for jobs and didn't even get an interview. I read a thread here asking what's the ethic of ERE and my answer is: They didn't give me a chance to contribute. So that's it, I'm on my own to the road of FI. I worked part time during school and paid off the student loan right after graduation. After 2008, I ended up working for a computer reseller as a purchaser. All I did is sitting in a cubicle all day staring at the computer. It's so boring. I saved for 3 years and here I am today: own a small condo townhouse and start building my stock portfolio. It's been doing well in the past 4 years. It averaged 12% per year.
I can't find like minded people around me. I seem to be so focused on my goal that I don't bother hanging out with people because we don't have the same goal and value. I feel bit lonely but when I have better financial freedom, I can do something I really like or volunteering and spiritual development.
At this rate, my liquid asset should exceed the mortgage in about 5 years and that''ll be a small milestone for my journey to FI.

Welcome to another Canuck.

If you really want FIRE, I'd suggest that you try to use that BS. EE. (if you like electronics think process control). 2008 without an engineering position may be a problem (or just a minor inconvenience). Try for Ft. Mac. If you get something there, you can be free before 50.

During my first year of university, I ran into a book called "Rich dad poor dad", it completely changed my life. I realized that's what I really want: Freedom. Financial freedom is one of the biggest freedom we can dream of.
I don't think that you'll find much support for Robert Kiyosaki on this board; but at least he got you thinking and gave you a goal.

You might like Dianne Nahirny's Stop Working, Start Living: How I Retired at the Age of 36 ... Without Winning the Lottery

I can't find like minded people around me. I seem to be so focused on my goal that I don't bother hanging out with people because we don't have the same goal and value. I feel bit lonely
You might try joining an investment club. And contact The New Roadmap Foundation for information on founding a discussion group.

nice to see more Canadians on this board! Welcome!

Welcome to the board. The secret to FI is to find a lucrative way to spend your time.

Yo, Cloud!

You may find some things of direct interest on Canada's Financial Webring:
Financial Webring
There is also a retired Canadian math professor with the nom-de-web of Gummy. Gummy Gone He hosted an amazing financial / retirement website for years, but gave it up. Financial Webring supports an archive of his work, it appears.

Canada has more promise than the US right now, specifically in Alberta.

Don't forget to maximize your Tax Free Savings Account. It is a gift from God!

Back
Top Bottom