Join Early Retirement Today

Hi ya'll
Old 01-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi ya'll

Like others, I have been reading the posts over time but decided to jump in--now that I am close to retirement.

I basically lived my life backwards, having plenty of $$$ until middle-age, losing it, and having to start over in my mid 40's.* I can't really complain, I didn't start work until I was 34 and got to travel to over 50 countries when I was younger and had all the required toys--cars, boats, and an airplane.

Now I'm approaching 62 in a couple of months and will probably take early SS.* I do have a couple of questions about that, but I will post them in another category.

Great forum...

eriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hi ya'll
Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It has got to be tough to start over in your 40s and still be able to retire at 62. Welcome to the board!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Martha, thanks for the welcome.

Starting over certainly was a challenge with a lot of obstacles.* Fortunately, I was able to make a slow, but determined, comeback.* Looking back, most, if not all, of my earlier financial problems could have been avoided with a more conservative approach--less investment based on leverage and speculation. In fact, I am now a big proponent of being debt-free throughout life--a la Dave Ramsey.

Well, now I am almost there and am looking forward to my first check from Uncle Sam in May.* It's about time he stepped up to the plate.*

eriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Eriter,

Welcome to the board. Nice to have some new blood here.

I understand the starting over in your 40's. Been there done that myself. Starting over with a negative NetWorth and getting to early retirement took a lot of planning and a lot of luck; some of it was not so good but I am FI now and will ER again as soon as DW can.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, eriter. Nice application of the "backwards" metaphor!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

eriter
welcome
been quite a bit of discussion about the 62 or full retirement age on social secuity. don't know how to send you to those discussions, one way is to go to search function and put in "social security 62" and a number of the discussions will come up.
all of the points, pro and con, for each side seemed to be made.
I'm a ways off, but have been thinking about the same thing.
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote