Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hoping to be FI @ 55 then who knows
Old 09-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hoping to be FI @ 55 then who knows

Hi, been on here for a bit but just became active so thought I would do the Hi, I am routine. Retired Navy fighter/test pilot (retired in 2008). Had a blast and stayed long enough to get a COLA pension and ridiculously affordable health care for life. After I retired, I went to defense megacorp and have been there for 10 years. Married for 30 years (I'm 52, DW is 48), 2 kids (22 and 20); empty nesters now.

Our story is one of living above our means for most of our lives. Our bottom was 2013 when we were making $360k / year and spending $3k more than we made each month. Consumer debt was $150k (multiple credit cards, 4 car loans, horse trailer loan) and mortgage was $450k on a house worth $400k. We were nearly bankrupt. Net worth was negative a lot. No hope of ever retiring.

I signed up on a forum called savingadvice.com in Oct 2013 to ask some questions about whether to pay off the car loans with next year's bonus. That lead to reading The Millionaire Next Door, and that changed everything.

Expenses were slashed, stuff was sold and debt was paid off as fast as possible. Started to increase savings as well. Luckily, my pay kept going up a lot so we were given the opportunity to recover quickly if we stuck to the plan.

Today we have a net worth over $1M and the best part is we are saving 50% of our gross income, which is now in stupid high land. That has set us up to be FI in 2021 and have the option to find a different path.

My life goal is to retire from megacorp and save as many animals (mainly dogs) as possible. I have a dream.

Thanks for letting me participate. Seems like a great crew here.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Rising like a phoenix from the ashes of overspending
Old 09-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #2

Rising like a phoenix from the ashes of overspending

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service to our country, and I'm delighted that you are on track. Yours is a happy story, and I like happy stories.

Not that controversial ones can't be interesting (I just ducked out of a couple current threads that are getting a bit heated), but sometimes it's nice just to say hello and compliment a fellow FIRE hopeful on having his $h!t together. Good job! I look forward to your future posts.

Also, I share your love of dogs. We have two.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #3

Well done with the getting out of debt w/o bankruptcy.

Millionaire next door is one of my fav financial books. Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Automatic Millionaire are two more.

Welcome.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
That lead to reading The Millionaire Next Door, and that changed everything.
Welcome, and congrats! Changing one's habits is not necessarily easy, but when you see the carrot at the end... Keep it up!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear that you turned things around. Well done.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Inspiration for many. Welcome to the forum.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

3 years to go! Setting goals is step 1 to getting where you want to be. Congrats!

2020 or bust!
Or
Perhaps 2021...2022...NVM
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Millionaire next door was life changing for me as well. Made all the difference.
Do you hope to set up a dog sanctuary? Foster? Help at the shelter? Change anti-tethering laws?