How much time to give for notice?

EDIT to add: Legally speaking, at my place of work, we are entitled to retire the same day we put in our papers.

I gave two months' notice, as I simply could not leave them in the lurch. The position required certain skills, plus a willingness to work extremely odd hours, and the incumbent would also need training.

Fortunately, they were on the ball/lucky and had someone in the pipeline who could take over with minimal disruption. Still, the goodwill I gained by being considerate, paid off in the end. I got a very good part-time post-retirement job offer.

Last edited:
Six months is generous. Three months would be fine. I think one month is cutting it a little close.

I think one month is cutting it a little close.
When Megacorp is giving people 1 month notice after being named "redundant", then I say fair is fair. Not close at all.

I'm leaving after 20 years with megacorp later this year and plan to give 2 weeks notice. If they beg for me it will come with some 'strings attached' to benefit me (but don't expect them to follow through).

IMHO two weeks are a minimum. Depending upon the level of the employee at my MegaCorp, expected minimum notice can go up to a year's notice for the top-level C suite employees. At my level, 3 months is the expectation...

When Megacorp is giving people 1 month notice after being named "redundant", then I say fair is fair. Not close at all.

Wouldn't it really depend on whether your employer, in addition to the 1 month final employment period, also gives some separation benefit such as severance pay or ongoing medical coverage or the ability to exercise existing options?

For example, I was tossed out (literally!) shortly after being named "redundant." But, I got one year of severance pay, deluxe outplacement services, kept my stock options (but exercise period reduced to 3 years) and a year of fully paid family medical coverage. And I collected unemployment benefits for a looooong time.

Had I been allowed to retire instead of being RIF'd, I would have gladly worked with my employer to achieve a date and check-off list of "to-do's" that maximized their chances of ongoing success in the business. This despite the fact that they walked folks to the door quite shortly after the "redundant" announcement.

Remember we're talking about long term employees (people qualifying for retirement benefits), not someone hired a few years ago.

Last edited:
The other part that has been touched on is that once everyone knows you are leaving, you increasingly become invisible, bypassed and insignificant. Why talk to you when you'll soon be gone anyway? So, think about how long you want to be in that position, in addition to any raises, bonuses or other perks might get yanked just before you go.

Most of us overestimate our value in an organization, but in reality if we got hit by a bus, Mega would churn along just fine without us. My advice is to keep it short.

Wouldn't it really depend on whether your employer, in addition to the 1 month final employment period, also gives some separation benefit such as severance pay or ongoing medical coverage or the ability to exercise existing options?

For example, I was tossed out (literally!) shortly after being named "redundant." But, I got one year of severance pay, deluxe outplacement services, kept my stock options (but exercise period reduced to 3 years) and a year of fully paid family medical coverage. And I collected unemployment benefits for a looooong time.
I'd love that kind of redundancy.

Yes, it depends. But...

See the recent thread on IBM and their severance benefits. What you got is fast disappearing, especially in tech.

I think that is one reason the severance used to be generous, to show that M.C. cared, and that employees would treat M.C. back in kind when the time came. Unfortunately, this is all crashing down.

Your mileage may vary. Kudos to the M.C.'s still treating people with respect. I applaud them.

My employer processes notice through an outside firm who will not permit you to submit it more than 90 calendar days in advance. I will probably give somewhat less if the time comes. (Looking doubtful with months of layoffs so far - just reapplied for a job I have had 28 years). But I especially wanted to agree with the person upthread who suggested you make sure you know what happens if they walk you out early. If I left 1 day before 55 I would lose medical, hence I may give notice on my actual birthday . . . using 90 days pto as my last day. :)

Last edited:
I gave one month's notice. But I was working only 2 days a week at the time, so that translated into 9 working days. For management, it was still one month.

I was working on one main project at the time, and I guessed I would be done in one month. I guessed right, barely. I got it done (my role in it, at least) at 4 PM on my last day.

I was barely an employee there for the last 17 months, when I began working 2 days a week (down from 3), so they were used to not seeing me around most of the time. Very little fanfare surrounding my resignation/retirement. Just the way I wanted it.

I gave a full year's notice, stipulating that come hell or high water, if they didn't have my replacement ready in 12 months, I was still gone. I had worked hard to rebuild a failing division and didn't want them to choose in haste and create opportunities for a disaster.

They found a person in 9 months and agreed to let me go early, as soon as the contract was signed. This person lasted less than a year and was, in fact, the complete disaster I had wanted to avoid. So, you never know!

There were hints dropped my way about coming back on an interim basis; but I had moved on. The grass was, in fact, greener and I had no interest in jumping back over the fence. :)

-BB

Employers will often express shock and dismay that you are leaving. They are not grieving your loss, just worried about replacing you. It is frequent to be pleaded with to stay for a variable period of time, and this will give you some negotiating power.
In theory yes, but in practice not so much. For some reason, employers who claim that a retiring employee is 'vital' are typically unwilling to recognize that with any increased flexibility or compensation. Talk is cheap! :facepalm:

I gave two weeks notice. It was great— my boss had to decide what was important for me to finish since I didn’t have time to finish all the work on my plate. If I had given more time, he would’ve added even more tasks to the list of “this must get done”.
^^^THIS^^^.

Depending upon the level of the employee at my MegaCorp, expected minimum notice can go up to a year's notice for the top-level C suite employees. At my level, 3 months is the expectation.
Frankly, who cares what the company's "expectation" is?

I gave about 90 days. It was the easiest 90 days I ever worked. As soon as I gave my notice (they knew it was coming) they immediacy asked me to come up with and then begin a transition plan. By the end of 60 days I was pretty much done. I then spent the last 30 days watching the clock, reading this and other forums :) and re-running my retirement spreadsheets.

Sorry, I don't know how to do multiple quotes from a thread. From one reply:
"The other part that has been touched on is that once everyone knows you are leaving, you increasingly become invisible, bypassed and insignificant. Why talk to you when you'll soon be gone anyway? So, think about how long you want to be in that position, in addition to any raises, bonuses or other perks might get yanked just before you go.

Most of us overestimate our value in an organization, but in reality if we got hit by a bus, Mega would churn along just fine without us. My advice is to keep it short. "

Anyway, 1 month for me (a common theme). DW is giving 3. She is freaked out over that thinking she should have given 6. I handed her the "Bucket of water" poem to help.

Excerpt from this poem:
[SIZE=+1]'Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Pull it out and the hole that's remaining,
Is a measure of how much you'll be missed.
You can splash all you wish when you enter,
You may stir up the water galore,
But stop, and you'll find that in no time,
It looks quite the same as before.'

While it depends in part on company's culture and one's level there, in general I vote for one month being ample notice.[/SIZE]

My employer doesn't have a pension or any signed, official retirement. You just quit when you want to and that's that. They don't replace anyone until they are actually gone so it doesn't matter if you give 1 year notice or a day.

My employer doesn't have a pension or any signed, official retirement. You just quit when you want to and that's that. They don't replace anyone until they are actually gone so it doesn't matter if you give 1 year notice or a day.
Yep. That's the way >90% of employers operate these days.

+1. You are just a cog in the machine, ready for a replacement anytime. Sure, the cogs around you may complain and slow down for a minute, but your presence will soon be forgotten.

I decided that I would give notice when I got back from a 1 week vacation after completing a very important project that went well. When I got back I found out I was one of a large group that was let go from Megacorp while I was away. Loyalty is really just a one way street nowadays in large corps..

(Of course I didn't mind as I got a few extra months of compensation, and went on unemployment for a few weeks also...........)

I decided that I would give notice when I got back from a 1 week vacation after completing a very important project that went well. When I got back I found out I was one of a large group that was let go from Megacorp while I was away. Loyalty is really just a one way street nowadays in large corps..

(Of course I didn't mind as I got a few extra months of compensation, and went on unemployment for a few weeks also...........)

That is a GREAT story that must be pleasure to tell in retirement.:dance:

I would consider that the best vacation I ever had (while employed):D

What about insurance? Does NO ONE have it?
The new wave corps of the world -- the ones you hear so much about, you know them -- have no pension and no benefits for insurance after retirement. Retirement is something someone else does. You are supposed to make megabucks early on and handle it yourself. If you are late on this pyramid game, you lose.

I gave 90 days' notice along with a recommendation for my replacement. I was fortunate that we had hired an up an comer for another job in the organization and he was available to immediately become my trainee/shadow.

Wholeheartedly agree with others that there is no absolute right answer to this question - it depends on your level, company culture, contract terms, etc. I also agree that it's likely in most cases that MegaCorp will wait until the last minute (too late) to hire your replacement.

I would strongly recommend that you provide whatever ample notice is deemed mutually acceptable to leave on the best possible terms and err on the side of too much notice. Burned bridges always seem to come back to haunt you.

I am 1+ years away but, yearn to just .... go.

I think the organization and my manager will need to find a replacement for me and that is the only thing that keeps me from doing the standard 2 weeks notice. I am thinking 6 month notice of plans to retire would work.
What say everyone?

What's the worse they do ... let me go:confused:
LOL
That would be a relief actually.
It is something to give thought to, that is for sure. Everyone does not have the same employer, etc. Generally, 2-4 weeks is sufficient.

I have a very nice job, and am well-payed. This job found me as I was beginning retirement (laid off twice from megacorp). Relationship with client is excellent. Earlier this year client asked if I would work for them direct (GS). I let them know that sometime early 2019 I am no longer full-time on site. At that time I begin looking for part-time telecommuting, or nothing. I haven't let my employer know this yet. It will become an issue next fiscal year, I guess.

Perfectly comfortable with how this plays out. So, these things are individual decisions, and it is interesting to see what happens as about a dozen employees have left this year, and gone GS. Each situation is different.

Giving only 1 weeks notice of your retirement like FireFool did seem extremely classless.
I see no circumstance to give such short notice. That is just plain wrong.
To leave your employer with such abruptness seems very immature. I'm glad I don't have employees like you working for me.

Giving only 1 weeks notice of your retirement like FireFool did seem extremely classless. I see no circumstance to give such short notice. That is just plain wrong.

You need to carefully re-read FireFool's entire post. It's considerably more nuanced than the dogmatic nonsense posted above.

Back
Top Bottom