Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I am a slow learner!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a slow learner!

Hi Everyone,

I wish I had found this board years ago. I found Nords website about a month ago, bought and read his book (what an incredible, and much needed resource for military members) and found this website through Nords.

I retired from the Navy 6 years ago. <my, how time flies!> My husband retired a couple of years later. With military pension x2, financial independence is much easier! We have two kids still at home -- 17 and 7. Life has always been good, but now, in ER -- wow, life is great.

In this time I have learned many things, a few of which are:

- I will NEVER be Martha Stewart. I am just as domestically challenged now as I was when I was active duty. I just no longer have an excuse.

- I am frighteningly content doing very little! I could probably go for weeks without leaving home, and it wouldn't bother me a bit. I think that fact has scared me enough that I have found several volunteer endeavors that I really enjoy. Plus, I have kids to keep me busy, and my husband and I have really enjoyed being able to take little day trips during the school year without finding a babysitter for our young one. We are more apt to have lunch dates now than dinner dates.

- It took awhile to let go of my rank -- I really didn't see that one coming. Seems like I went from CDR to Mrs. almost instantaneously, and it really bothered me at first. I'm over it!

Anyway, I look forward to joining in the discussions! I have a lot to read to get up to speed.

~Gabi
Gabieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your service and welcome! You'll find many veterans on this site.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello and welcome to the forum. I can see why you latched on to Nords being Navy. As everyone knows by now, my grandson is in the Navy, graduated boot camp end of April and is stationed at NAS Pensacola. He is in Air Crew Candidate School and is gung ho. Just started two weeks ago. Hope he makes it. Again, welcome.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Gabi, and thanks for buying the book!

If it's any consolation, we still get mail at our house addressed to my (retired) spouse's name/rank with me tacked on as "Mr." I just smile that I don't have to care about that protocol anymore...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the board. If you have learned that you are content doing little, the world is wide open to you. You are happy as is and can try anything new that catches your fancy without the stress of boredom driving you. All is good.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
gone traveling

Gabi,

Welcome! Better late than never in finding this site. Lots of good info for all, and you will find plenty of retired military members as well.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I guess I have some learning to do, because I typed my first response and attempted to add a quote from donheff, and lost it all!

So, I will attempt to recreate:

Johnnie36 -- best of luck to your grandson!!

Nords -- You really have done a great service for those who serve in uniform! I really enjoyed your book, and plan to purchase some extras to gift.

Donheff -- I will have to learn the correct way to quote someone, but I love what you said! To be truthful, I don't think I have ever truly experienced boredom. Perhaps I am too simple to be bored . . .
Old 07-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabieta View Post
Nords -- You really have done a great service for those who serve in uniform! I really enjoyed your book, and plan to purchase some extras to gift.
Thanks again!

Five or more copies gets you a bulk discount direct from the publisher, although it may take you a bigger order to get below Amazon's prices:
Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement

Your best choice might be the 4"x5" 64-page pocket guide. It has even better bulk pricing, and you can only buy that from the publisher:
Military Financial Independence and Retirement Pocket Guide

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW! For the newcomer, there is a lot to digest on this site! I have been both enlightened and amused by many threads!

- Personality type and ER: As an INFP, I think I may fit in to this crowd. I do know part of my happiness since retiring from the military is not having to act like an ISTJ!

- To pay off or not to pay off the mortgage: I am surprised as to how emotional the threads get on this one! I could really relate to Nords on this one, being a serial refinancer (in the process again as I type this). But, for DH and I, we see no need to put more than necessary toward our mortgage, and will reset the 30 year clock again soon.

- I also read several heated discussions on how to calculate NW. Again, I am a bit amused/surprised how heated this one gets as well.

- I am so impressed with the wealth of knowledge on this board! Thanks again for the welcome, and I look forward to getting to "know" everyone!

I am new to posting on boards (don't even have a facebook page) so I am still getting used to finding my way around, and figuring out the bells and whistles of posting.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also read several heated discussions on how to calculate NW. Again, I am a bit amused/surprised how heated this one gets as well.
Nah! Don't let yourself get confused. We often pretend to be cranky geezers and argue over inconsequential things to amuse ourselves. Same about the mortgage thinggy. I myself never take anything seriously, and I hope the others are the same.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I will NEVER be Martha Stewart. I am just as domestically challenged now as I was when I was active duty. I just no longer have an excuse.
Welcome aboard and congrats! If it makes you feel any better, Martha Stewart isn't even Martha Stewart any more...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote