Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
457 specific rules vary by each plan. The one I am in, if you are still employed at 55 , you can withdraw w/o penalty, just pay taxes. I left short of 55, so it's also 59 1/2 for me too. Public safety (sworn) employees often have earlier age provisions.
I'll have to double check that, thanks!!
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess no matter how long I wait it will never be the "perfect time." Unfortunately a friend of mine, in the same field, suddenly died unexpectedly in her sleep yesterday morning. Her husband, my Best Man 17 years ago, found her in the living room. She was only 40 years old. It made me realize even more that it's time to go, because you never know what will happen. I know numerous people like that. Another friend of mine died suddenly 3 months before retirement, never having a chance to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

I don't want to live an extravagant lifestyle in retirement, but I don't want to just survive either. I think we'll be able to live the life we've been living and with a little luck and proper financial management maybe a little more. I don't want to die with money in the bank. I'll tell you this....everyday I'm still working feels like it's taking two from my life.

Thanks again....wish me luck

Agree with you about everyday still working taking 2 from your life. Life is so short and time is really precious. It is so important to make the most of early retirement, we are all getting older and who knows how long we can stay healthy. The clock is ticking away.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote